SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting pdf's to appear at 100%

Hey guys,

We are doing an online catalogue and a paper catalogue that are supposed to be identical. in order to save on work, we decided that we'd convert the print catalogue to pdf's. The sizes have worked out better than I anticipated, but I am running into one problem.

Anytime I click on the link to display the pdf, it goes to 115%... is there anyway to get your pdf's to display at 100% all the time?

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does that happen in all computers? because it might be just the preferences that you have set up for reader.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it sounds like your preferences for Reader.

* on a side note - pdf's can be really hard on those with slow connections plus you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them something eveyone doesn't have or cares to download.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbone
    Hey guys,

We are doing an online catalogue and a paper catalogue that are supposed to be identical. in order to save on work, we decided that we'd convert the print catalogue to pdf's. The sizes have worked out better than I anticipated, but I am running into one problem.

Anytime I click on the link to display the pdf, it goes to 115%... is there anyway to get your pdf's to display at 100% all the time?

thanks.
    In my opinion you should be more worried about the pdf not showing up at all on many peoples computers than it being slightly wrongsized!

Usually the slightly larger size is just because PDFs open at the best fit size, so you have little control. but don't worry because your audience will resize the hell out of it anyway to suit their preferences. Those that can even open it of course.

<rant> personally I think that merely putting a print document online is a wate of time and money for a company, and also a big waste of time for all your users. The internet is not print, and has many advantages and disadvantages over print. If you just put up a pdf of your print catalogue you are gaining none of the advantages and losing to all of the disadvantages! It is a bad idea, usually unusable and usually not accessible. Don't do it!</rant>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This one's a real easy fix. Just set up your link like so:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="myfile.pdf#zoom=100">My file (PDF)</a>
    The "#zoom=100" part tells the PDF to load at 100%.

Off Topic:

I'll spare the PDF rant for another day, since most of the time it's beyond the lowly designer's control anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pissant
    <rant> personally I think that merely putting a print document online is a wate of time and money for a company, and also a big waste of time for all your users. The internet is not print, and has many advantages and disadvantages over print. If you just put up a pdf of your print catalogue you are gaining none of the advantages and losing to all of the disadvantages! It is a bad idea, usually unusable and usually not accessible. Don't do it!</rant>
    Not my choice.

I am developing a print catalogue and that, and as an aside they wanted a web site. I tried explaining that pdf's aren't good for the core of the website, but they were more concerned about the money aspect, so they wanted it this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    <a href="myfile.pdf#zoom=100">My file (PDF)</a>
    Wow, I never knew that. Is there a list somewhere of all the parameters it takes? What are others?

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is a list but I cannot remember where it is and Mozilla tends to work better than M$ with the parameters.

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-zilles-pdf-00.txt
    (3. Fragment identifiers)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbone
    Hey guys,

thanks.
    Don't even worry about the size. Each user has their own preference, and each user resizes PDFs when they open to suit that preference, that you don't need to intentionally ensure a set size when it opens. Let them decide that.

If I ran that company, I would invest in converting the print catalog for display on the web. It will pay off in people being able to more easily browse your products, without having to download and scroll through pages to find what they are looking for. Alas, I don't run that company =)

HiroP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiroP
    Don't even worry about the size. Each user has their own preference, and each user resizes PDFs when they open to suit that preference, that you don't need to intentionally ensure a set size when it opens. Let them decide that.
    Well, I was asked to do it, so I did.

These aren't all things that I already brought up before hand.