SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u sure? I heard kissing someone with a canker sore can pass it on.

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, ulcers are NOT contagious, not are they a form of Herpes, AFAIK. Can you find a reputable resource/URL that says otherwise?!

This is the best resource I found:
    http://www.animated-teeth.com/canker...nker_sores.htm
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M@rco
    Over here in the UK we call canker sores "ulcers"... or have I misunderstood?!
    This thread suddenly makes much more sense. I get ulcers every 1-3 months or so normally around a period of stress. At primary school one of the local pharmacies made their own recipes for things and I used to use one of those and apply it with a cotton bud causing excruciating pain. After that stuff moved on to some stuff called Kenalog which is really good, totally painless and I tended to just apply it before going to bed so it would stay on there for as long as possible. It works best before the ulcer gets bigger than about 3mm in diameter.

For pain relief, pfft.. who needs pain relief? If say I have 2-3 and they're all say about 5-7mm in diameter I just poke/rub them really hard with my tongue and/or finger and it usually quells the pain for a wee while, or also got this tube of stuff called MediGel which you can put on to stop the pain for an hour or so. A lot of the time I try to piss the ulcer off by drinking/eating things that make it sting... as that generally means you then have a period of no-pain (and if you can bear that the general stinging/pain doesn't bother you much).

Lastly... have some fruit as it will a) make it sting which then reduces pain for a while and b) be good for you. Maybe if I ate fruit sometimes I wouldn't get them but I don't think I'm willing to try that.
    Oh no! the coots are eating my nodes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem is im a wuss and i dont want the sore to sting!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyrabbit
    Another tip to add: I recently tried with baking soda
    I can vouch for this one. I doubt it helps cure it, but applying some neat directly to the affected area does stop it being sore and next thing you know, it's gone.

For the confused in the UK (and apparently Oz): canker sore = mouth ulcer

Andy
    From the English nation to a US location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awestmoreland
    For the confused in the UK (and apparently Oz): canker sore = mouth ulcer
    Off Topic:

Hmm.. I may have missed a post in this thread somewhere but NZ != Oz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by timnz
    I may have missed a post in this thread somewhere but NZ != Oz.
    Hmmm...don't know if someone edited/deleted a post, but I could have sworn I saw someone from Oz looking confused. Sorry if I just mistook you for an Ozzie. It's not something I would generally do, but I'm willing to admit I may have made a mistake. As someone coming from a country that doesn't even exist in standard select boxes, I wouldn't intentionally rob you of your nationallity
    From the English nation to a US location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awestmoreland
    Off Topic:

Hmmm...don't know if someone edited/deleted a post, but I could have sworn I saw someone from Oz looking confused. Sorry if I just mistook you for an Ozzie. It's not something I would generally do, but I'm willing to admit I may have made a mistake. As someone coming from a country that doesn't even exist in standard select boxes, I wouldn't intentionally rob you of your nationallity
    Off Topic:

Apology accepted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had a HUGE canker sore on the inside of my lip. It came after I accidentally bit my lip and drew blood. They are pretty disgusting

I washed my mouth out with salt water twice a day for about a week and it went away. Make sure you don't tounge at it, it will only make it worse.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Holland, they seem to prefer applying iodine (a natural antiseptic, if iodine can be considered to be "natural") to ulcers rather than the gel that we use here in the UK (and the US).

However, the point is that there is no "cure" for ulcers. You just have to let your own body deal with it, keeping the area as clean as possible in the meantime (with antiseptic and/or a sealant), and of course some local anaesthetic helps make things more comfortable!! But that's all the products that have been mentioned actually do - it's your own body that has the "cure".

MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how to cure canker sores

Canker sores are formed when a scratch or cut in the lining of your mouth becomes infected. To cure canker sores in 2-4 days, rinse mouth with Listerine and use ORA5 directly on the sore. This will kill the bacteria that is causing the sore and allow it to heal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hELLO, i just had to say something after reading this thread.

Right now as i type this message, i have 15 canker sores in my mouth. I can talk, but it hurts like a *****. Right now im using salt and water(4 times a day) to try and heal the sores. And yes im stress out by ignorance and other foolish things that has hurt me over the past few months. I have been getting canker sores ever since i was born, and as i get older its getting worse. As i mention, the more people and things i run to in this world, the more stress i get.

LOL, its all good tho. 2 sores is going away, but 2 small ones is coming up.
    Either love me or hate me/ but real boss playaz get paid/
    have me catching cases all across the nation/ I went to jail , made a hit on you know who/ Thug Life. Outlaw Immortals. The Ridah Tupac AKA Tha DonMakaveli/Can you feel me?/Never say never/ just Say Death Row. Them Brothers luv that **** - pac 97

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get them ALL the time and they always come in three. I also vouch for the "sting" affect. I wash my mouth out with Listerine and then I use Ambesol. I practically douse my canker sores with it.. and then swear like a !@#&! ..after that it feels much better.
    You just have to let it run its course... though I do think stress plays a factor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

end canker sores.. free and easy

I suffered from these for a long painful time. Not any more though. Check out my site.. nothing to buy.. no change to your diet. It worked for me.. maybe it will work for you. Go to www.jblakey.com/cankersores