SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redesign of current hosting site...

I wanted to redesign the RackData website and both make it look better and use CSS for the design/formatting. I've been working on it for a few days and have the home page pretty much done. Of course, there's no content and the links don't work - but you can tell where everything will go.

Just looking for some opinions... you can view-source and see the stylesheet and code of the site. The stylesheet will be made into an external stylesheet when the design is finished, it's just easier to have it all in one page when designing.

Here it is:

http://www.rackdata.com/beta/

Issues I know about:
    - The navigation wraps to browser width in IE 5.0 (even though it has a nowrap property)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time posting a review, so please bear with me . Looks good in IE6, firefox 0.8 and mozilla 1.5 on the windows OS. I like the grey and blue color scheme, but the red seems out of place. The links blend in with the regular text a bit. I like how the phone number is in plain view, but what about email? guarantee.gif looks good with the grey color and fade. Why do you have a static width for the content?

Your redesign looks much better then the current site, your redisign is much easier on the eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the mouseover on the left side. That is very catchy how it changes in size. I like it lots. The colors work good together. One thing that I dont like is how all of the content is on the left side. Then the whole other half of the page is just the grey and the banner going across the top. I feel that it would look much nicer if the content was in the middle of the page, and the grey 'borders' were on the left and right sides.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the navbar, though a nice peice of graphic doesnt seem to match all too well.

i would also make the phone number at the top right text instead of a graphic, a similar font solution can be found using CSS.

Good color scheme, no problem there, it is just something about the right side where the navbar seems to overlap, and then does not align with the page...

Since the page does not extend beyond the fold, you can get rid of the scroll bars using in your stylesheet under the body tag:

body {
    overflow: auto;
    }

Good website overall though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dahmian
    I like the grey and blue color scheme, but the red seems out of place.
    I would like to emphasize this.
    -Lewis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies guys... really appreciate the feedback. If the red seems out of place, what color would you suggest as an accent color? Should I just use more red in the design or drop it alltogether?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    Thanks for all the replies guys... really appreciate the feedback. If the red seems out of place, what color would you suggest as an accent color? Should I just use more red in the design or drop it all together?
    Now that I look at your page again, I do not think that the red area looking out of place is solely because it is red. The bottom of the red area is does not line up with the bottom of the third test link box. If the two areas did line up --by either expanding the total height of the links, or by shrinking the height of the red area-- they would "flow" better with the layout of the page. As for colors, I am not that good at picking colors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The layout looks great so far, and I think the red actually fits in and gives the page contrast. Contrast is a very important element in design.

The design worked well in Firefox and IE but was a complete mess in Opera 7.11 as you can see in the screenshot here:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely positioned that header element so it should now show up correctly... not sure about that white space in the content area there... but on Opera 7.23 it looks okay now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    beley, It looks great now. Except opera adds a 20px margin on the right which I am pretty sure can be fixed by adding
    Code:
    body {padding: 0;}

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think the original design works better. just change the colors.

People may disagree with the red because it is very prominent. I would make the main navbar red and strecth to the wehole screen instead of just ....traling off.....doesnt flow. BUT THE COLORS DO WORK. just adjust them a little.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also might play around with the navigation a little. In my opinion, the gradient is too extreme and there could be a little less bevel.
    -Lewis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lewis - I'll try some variations with the navigation bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest I like your old design more... just convert that to CSS
    Kempt - Few things in life are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design a lot. The blue, red and grey go great together.

The top beveled buttons seem completly out of place, though. I think something simplier like your side navigation would work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too Simple yet looks sort of good. Tho its not eye cathing btu nto that bad too.

I like the color scheme (Red-Blue)

Nnavigation Links on the left are just too simple. Make em more attractive if possible.

Needs some work to look good.