SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. It seems every search engine these days has a $199 fee to even get your site <i>considered</i>. Is this a good value or are search engines "old school" technology? If you had to pick one, which one? Google? Askjeeves? The fee seems way too high, with no guarantee of measuable results.

best, John

http://www.squiby.com
    Where Bricks and Clicks Mix (tm)
    SQUIBY: Where Bricks and Clicks Mix (tm)

http://www.squiby.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yahoo fee is high, but then so is the traffic.
    Pick GoTo.com or Inktomi as well, they both channel results out to lots of different engines (AOL, MSN, AV, all very significant traffic).
    If you have the dollars, you might as well use them to your advantage. Your competition probably is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polymath is right... and the good thing about services like GoTo is that you don't have to pay a large flat fee, you can pay whatever you desire, if you want.
    Last edited by mjames; Feb 18, 2001 at 20:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bit the bullet and paid to have a client listed on Yahoo. That was only after being unsuccessful trying to get listed in the Directory for free. We were turned down and I hear many sites are. They really don't take the payment into consideration. However, a clever appeal letter got us listed. Be prepared to fight for listing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's out to make a profit and so are the search engines. Pay for inclusion is likely to become more prevelant not less.

I think the crucial question here should be 'Can I make more money by paying to be listed than not?' If your business model involves selling something then a little maths can help you decide if you can make back the fee in sales from the listing.

My clients benefit greatly from the almost instant traffic a well managed pay for inclusion search engine campaign can produce.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goto is great because you have total control on your rankings. If you decide to change your rankings, it takes effect once you hit the submit button.
    These days, a lot of the search engines are charging something. If they don't they will turn into a dot bomb much like go.com
    Business Development
    http://www.citibay.com - Search and you shall find

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to post my results with GoTo. I wasn't convinced it was worthwhile until just this week. I didn't like paying for search listings. I have used GoTo off and on over the past 6 months or so. I let my account balance dry up, then deposit more later. I've always had increasing traffic so I didn't really see what good the listings were doing.

After going dry for 2 months I deposited $100 at the beginning of January, thinking it would last for a couple of months. For most of the search terms, I have bid only 1 cent.. 2 cents for the more competitive terms. My $100 was gone by the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan... so I deposited $25 more.. it was gone before the end of Jan. Meanwhile I was experiencing record high days .. 100,000-110,000 page views per day. After the $25 dried up, I decided I wasn't going to spend any more money.

For the first 2 weeks of February, I didn't have any search terms active with GoTo... I didn't notice the correlation at first, but my page views per day slipped to 90,000 .. 95,000 at the most. I decided to add more money to my goto account last Sunday night (feb 18) Lo and behold, Monday I had my highest day ever -- 120,000 page views. Every day since there have been around 110,000-115,000.

So does GoTo work? In my experience, yes. My average daily charges are $4-5.. is that worth it? Yes... and that's because I've kept most of my bids at 1 penny. I think the only way to bid more is if there is a product/service being sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just my 2 cents...

I don't like paying for listings in major SEs like Yahoo because personally I feel that their entire business model should be based on selling advertising...and the only way they have content to display to the end customer <read: websurfer> is by listing what amounts to basically links to other peoples content. Whereas on Goto, Search123, and other pay-to-play search engines their primary revenue stream is the fee paid by sites to be included...not the revenue being produced by the end user and most of those end users are aware of the fact that the TYPE of content they are being shown is primarily commercial in nature. If Yahoo wants to be the #1 portal site in the world then they should list every site <excluding certain content site like hate sites etc.> and make their money the same way ABC, CBS, and NBC make their living. For that matter take into account the fact that in most traditional arenas Yahoo would have to PAY for the privelege of listing our content.

However, I do realize that what should be is not what always is.

I do beleive however that if you are determined and exploit other avenues besides the pay-to-play that you can generate as much traffic if not more that you would by paying to be added to someones database.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do beleive however that if you are determined and exploit other avenues besides the pay-to-play that you can generate as much traffic if not more that you would by paying to be added to someones database.
    Yes, this is very true. I get most of my traffic through Yahoo and other search engines (where I didn't have to pay!) Now that I think of it, if I wasn't lucky enough to get listed for free, the amount of traffic I get would be worth the 1 time submission fee.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some research into Search Engines and I would suggest that getting into the ODP is a 'back-door' way to get listed on most search engines, for those unwilling to pay. A lot of LookSmart partner sites also use the ODP (LookSmart being the most commercial of the directories at the moment). There are many alliances and investments between them all, and the centres of power are slowly coalescing. Google uses the ODP and Google is also a partner of Yahoo! - where does it all end?

But what I really want to know is when do we start to get a next- generation (if bandwidth is ever solved) Gnutella-style search engine? Or is that a pie-in-the-sky idea? Many sites already have link pages - simply pages of links, maybe with descriptions. Embryonic search engines, in fact.

Otherwise we're heading for a three-tier Net: greatest visiblity for those that pay sponsorship; visibility for those who simply pay to be listed; and invisiblity at the end of the rankings for everyone else.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ODP is doing great for me. I started submitting a site about a month ago and it's doing very well in the search engines. Granted, it's for a band and the only keyword I really care about is the band's name, but there are still a couple of challenges there: The domain name is not the exact name, because that wasn't available - and the name is a generic music term with lots of other things coming up on a search on that term. Since getting listed with ODP we've cracked all the major ones except Altavista, which I've had a hard time with lately in general. We didn't get in Yahoo on the first submission, but we're turning up with good placement on their "Web page matches" which is powered by Google. All that started to happen after getting into ODP.