SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other day, I was reading some book called Essential PHP and found two functions that I've seen before but never used.

mysql_free_result($result_string);

mysql_close($dbconnection_string);

The book was saying that I could save resources by using these two functions. And in most of the examples, it showed them in use.

Should I start using these functions? and how come programs like vBulletin v. 1.1.5 doesn't use any of these functions?
    <///////~

www.sohh.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm assuming vB uses mysql_pconnect , in which case a connection shouldnt be closed

as for using those functions, if your script is long and runs for a long time, mysql_free_result is a must, generally for normal websites, this doesnt make much of a difference (unless you are gathering HUGE amounts of data, and then doing it a few times)

as for mysql_close.. again, its not a necessity .. if you used mysql_connect to start with, the connection is closed at the end of the script automatically..

remember, PHP doesnt teach you how to code, it does everything for you .. its like the netscape / IE thing.. netscape might be a pain to design for, but thats only because netscape follows set specifications by w3.org instead of IE which goes on making its own specifications, allowing for poor design
    cogito, ergo sum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I did a search for "mysql_pconnect" and came up with 0 results. Weird. But I know the the opening page on VB has like 13 queries or more depending on what options you have turned on.
    <///////~

www.sohh.com