Thread: www.nintari.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.nintari.net

Hello,

I've had this site up for a couple months now but I thought I would ask what people think? I am starting to get traffic rolling in but it is taking time. Any suggestions?

Nintari.net

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 , WinXP pro Sp1, 128kb/s, IE6.0 Opera7.23.

I like the over all look and feeling of site. I good idea with tabs. A clear message about what is nintari. The navigation is comfortable, the fonts are well chosen. The only thing that seemed to miss was a background and some pics.

The loading was fast enough and the displaying were good on both browsers.

Best Whishes.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 6.0 - 1024x768 - Win2K

Overall loved the site - like the color scheme for identifying the different sections. Really like the 1, 2, 3 boxes on the index page.

A couple of minor points:

1) The text on the upper left of the main page is full justified - this looks kind of off to me. I think left justified would look just fine.

2) Seems there's a bit too much empty space between the banner and the content on the main page. Could be tightened up a little bit.

3) Since the site is fixed and centered (not variable width), it might look a little cleaner/more organized to have left and right borders. Even a thin line or color differentiation between the page background and content background.

4) I like your search function - One nit though: When you type in a search term and get a list of results, if you then click on the letters it lists only results for that letter from your search. I was a little confused at first. I think retrieving all the results is fine - when you then click on a letter you should get all the results for that letter (not just restricted to your search). Or, there should be some simple and apparent way to clear your search.

Good job on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good, I like the boxes on the index page. I also like the colors used for the diffrent pages. Thats really nice. The loadtime is a little slow on the videogame page. Im have a cable connection 1280x1024 and I still have to scroll. That might be one thing that you could fix. I dont like to have to scroll and for only 10pix thats really not worth it.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've obviously spent a great deal of time & effort developing this site and there are many good things about it - The interface and features are slick and well integrated, you've got a good FAQ/help section and best of all the overall concept is great. The problem with this kind of site though is a little bit like the chicken/egg problem - you need more members but the main attraction for new members to a site of this kind is a large member base.

To move things forward and increase your membership levels I think there are a few things you could do:

1) Remove the Beta status
    Being a member of Nintari requires effort from the user (building up a list of DVDs/games etc) and I think potential new members may be discouraged from investing their time into the site by the prospect of a service charge being introduced in the near future. If you remove beta status and declare the service as free you will remove this barrier and there is no reason why you can't introduce a two-tier membership scheme in the future (ie a basic, free service and extra features for members).

2) Increase member awareness & community spirit
    When browsing the site I just get a sense that there's no-one else around. I don't know how many members you've got but if it's a reasonable number consider putting a member counter at the top (ie "127 members and growing daily"). If you've not yet got enough of a member count to show off perhaps consider something like an "x members online" counter. You could also consider adding some forums or a messaging type system to encourage more of a community spirit and sense of people presence.

3) Consider revising your registration process
    People on the Web (especially gamers) are very cautious about giving away personal information and I think this could be holding back your membership growth. I would suggest that you reconsider how much information you need to hold about on a member - you only really need to take a username, password and email address (you could offer to hold the rest but make it optional) and then I seriously think a lot more people would register. If you're not convinced of this why not conduct a poll on the site or elsewhere to discover if it would help?

4) Re-prioritise the homepage
    I think the overall look/feel you've got is fine but you could make a little better use of your space. For example, in 1024x768 the last part of the 1, 2, 3 steps are just off the bottom of the screen necessitating a scroll down - also, the pictures themselves on the 1, 2, 3 boxes arn't really inkeeping with the style of the rest of the site. I'd also recommend making the images of the games in the centre window larger and I would suggest that you draw more attention to the fact that you've got a catalogue of around 44,000 items.

That's all I can think of for now in the space of 5 minutes

I seriously wish you all the best with the site - it's a great concept and you've already done so much to make it work it deserves to succeed.

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! From a usability standpoint the site is very easy to understand... I instantly knew what it was about. The navigation is simple... only 3 tabs so there's not much of a chance of getting confused.

Then if you still don't know quite where to start, the 1, 2, 3 points you in the right direction... excellent!

One suggestion, I would make the "1, 2, 3" blocks link to the signup page... might as well make it easy to sign up since they're already there reading those instructions...

Excellent site...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This is so much more then I had hoped for. I really appreciate all of your comments and feedback. There was quite a few things said that I had considered myself and it's good to have things backed up with a second opinion. There was also a few things I hadn't thought of that will be helpful too. Thank you so much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atotalstranger
    3) Since the site is fixed and centered (not variable width), it might look a little cleaner/more organized to have left and right borders. Even a thin line or color differentiation between the page background and content background.

4) I like your search function - One nit though: When you type in a search term and get a list of results, if you then click on the letters it lists only results for that letter from your search. I was a little confused at first. I think retrieving all the results is fine - when you then click on a letter you should get all the results for that letter (not just restricted to your search). Or, there should be some simple and apparent way to clear your search.
    I really is missing a border.. I just haven't been able to find a color that doesn't make it look ridiculus..

I'm not completely surprised that you were confused by the alpha filters. Because the letters are so high up on the page I think people tend to think that they only affect the entire database and don't realize that they only filter the current search results. Perhaps a reset button would be a good idea. (I've actually toyed with the idea of talking them out completely)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    You've obviously spent a great deal of time & effort developing this site and there are many good things about it - The interface and features are slick and well integrated, you've got a good FAQ/help section and best of all the overall concept is great. The problem with this kind of site though is a little bit like the chicken/egg problem - you need more members but the main attraction for new members to a site of this kind is a large member base...

1) Remove the Beta status...
    2) Increase member awareness & community spirit...
    3) Consider revising your registration process...
    4) Re-prioritise the homepage...
    Yes, growing the user base is the toughest proposition at this point. It is catching on slowly and the growth is increasing every day. Server costs give us good reason to want to get it rolling sooner rather then later however.

I'll see if I can respond to some of these suggestions:

1) beta status: I'm undecided about this. I put up the Beta status because I wanted it to be clear that we are still in development and that if there are bugs it makes it a little more understandable. It also seems to encourage people to report problems they have instead of just getting annoyed and leaving the site. Perhaps I should revisit this philosophy though.

2) The next big things down the pipe are a advanced match making system and forums. I get that feeling of not being able to connect to other users too.

3) Unfortunately I can't really change the registration process. Knowing the persons address is improtant for our system. The reason is because we have a system that provides shipping estimates for every trade. Without a location it doesn't work at all. It also prevents us from allowing people to search by location. It's not a matter of wanting the information for malicious purposes, but the functionality of the site would actually change without it.

4) the homepage definitely needs some work. I was thinking of creating two homepages.. The current on is targeted towards getting new users, but for the experienced user it would be good if a different page loaded that had a lot more info.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    One suggestion, I would make the "1, 2, 3" blocks link to the signup page... might as well make it easy to sign up since they're already there reading those instructions...
    Hmmm... I'm going to have to look into this because there are actually 4 links to the sign up page in the "1,2,3"

All 3 numbers are image maps that link to the registration page. Also, in #1 there's a link to the registration page.

Obviously if you didn't realize this then the links aren't very effective.

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice job! Love it! As far as marketing goes I would recommend that you read a few books on internet marketing to get a better idea what works and what doesn't. The internet is a different ball game when it comes to marketing and there are several differences between it and more traditional marketing methods. The more you learn about this, the more you'll be able to position yourself on the web.

Here is a list of some books I have found to be very helpful:

Designing and Writing Online Documentation, by William Horton

101 Internet Marketing Tips for Your Business, by Jeff Davidson

Getting Business to Come to You, by Paul and Sarah Edwards, Laura Clampitt Douglas and Laura Clampitt

Search Engine Visibility by Shari Thurow

Net Words by Nick Usborne

I know it looks like a lot to have to read and it will be even more work trying to apply the information to your line of work, but in the long run it will pay off. I wish I could just pass this knowledge on to you, but like I said, Iím not a marketing expert. I read these books with my business in mind and you will find that you may get something entirely different out of them than I did.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impressions
    Very nice job! Love it! As far as marketing goes I would recommend that you read a few books on internet marketing to get a better idea what works and what doesn't. The internet is a different ball game when it comes to marketing and there are several differences between it and more traditional marketing methods. The more you learn about this, the more you'll be able to position yourself on the web.

Here is a list of some books I have found to be very helpful:

Designing and Writing Online Documentation, by William Horton

101 Internet Marketing Tips for Your Business, by Jeff Davidson

Getting Business to Come to You, by Paul and Sarah Edwards, Laura Clampitt Douglas and Laura Clampitt

Search Engine Visibility by Shari Thurow

Net Words by Nick Usborne

I know it looks like a lot to have to read and it will be even more work trying to apply the information to your line of work, but in the long run it will pay off. I wish I could just pass this knowledge on to you, but like I said, Iím not a marketing expert. I read these books with my business in mind and you will find that you may get something entirely different out of them than I did.
    I will look into those books for sure. I try to read as much as I can to increase my knowledge base. I found that book "Net Gain" really useful. It isn't all that new now, but I think a lot of it still applies.

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.