SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face new site released.... please review

Please take the time to review a site i created for Coastal Carolina Student Services (Affairs). Thank You in advance!

http://www.coastal.edu/students/

problems im aware of:

1) A css problem with the bullets that i have in my css file <li>'s
    ---- seems to only be a problem in the older mozilla, and NS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 , WinXP pro Sp1, 128kb/s, IE6.0 Opera7.23.

An impressive and informative site, it fits the feel of the University site. Only I didn't saw a link to your page from the main page of the university. Did I overlooked it?

The text needs a brighter nuance,in my opinion. Gray and pale green are not easy to read, plus the size is not that big, on higher resolutions a problem may appear with that. Other than that no problems with navigation.

The loading speed was fast. The displaying good on both browsers.

Best Regards!
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win XP SP1, IE6

I agree with the above post. An information rich site like this should really make use of the full screen width (ie should be fluid). I like the overall look and feel that you've established but it's all looks a bit squashed - the left side navigation text for example could be closer together with more padding around the overall menu and the central section could use spreading out a bit too.

The information itself is good though and as I said the overlal look & feel reflects the organisation type well - just tidy up the layout slightly and you'll have a good site there - well done!

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design... I don't think that a full-width design is neccessary but it is very nice when you have a lot of content.

I noticed that the footer isn't centering like the rest of the site in Mozilla/Firefox (using Firefox 0.8).

Also, your content areas seem to not have enough padding. The text is within a couple of pixeks of the borders. Might want to think about adding some cellpadding or cellspacing to give a little room between the sides of the cell and the text.

Overall, very nice design... nice work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Please take the time to review a site i created for Coastal Carolina Student Services (Affairs). Thank You in advance!

http://www.coastal.edu/students/

problems im aware of:

1) A css problem with the bullets that i have in my css file <li>'s
    ---- seems to only be a problem in the older mozilla, and NS
    This is another one of those sites that I think is designed with the visitor in mind. One thing is that when you click Home it takes you to the main page. I like the colors better on the main page. The current "green/tuquoise" color doesn't gel well, for me. I like the white better. Overall its a great site because it has a lot of content. It also loads very quickly and all of the links appear to work correctly. Didn't have any problems viewing it on IE 6.0 with a 1280 x 1024 res.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks very nice. Maybe the navigation links could be in a different font or color. The arrow also looks to take too much space within the layout.

Good luck !

TW

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...very nice design...

very large site also, midn if I ask how long it tooky ou to develop it?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows ME, 800 x 600, Internet Explorer 5.

Overall, this site is organized very well, and the design elements are excellent. It does its own thing while staying consistent with the design of the rest of the Carolina Coastal University website.

One design element that confuseses me is the green arrow on the far right. The drop shadow and curved arrowhead don't seem consistant with the edgy images that surround it. I suspect that its purpose it to lead the viewer below the fold of the page, but it doesn't point to anything specific.

A minor mistake is that in the title bar of the browser the site's title reads, "Department of Student Affairs," while the title on the page says, "Department of Student Services."

I like the variations in size, capitalization, and color of the headline type.

Lastly, I think the navigation menu on the left should be set farther apart from the body of the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Your Site...

Mac OS X 10.3.3 - IE 5.2.3

Your site looks very good - apart from a some minor issues, everything seems to be working well. A few comments/problems, some which others have mentioned:

In Internet Explorer 5.2.3 on Mac OS X, you have a horizontal scroll bar. In fact, it scrolls to a completely blank screen - IE a BIG horizontal scroll bar width problem.

The "Quick Links" drop-down menu is difficult to use. I have to hover my mouse in a very tiny specific spot under each link to get the hover effect/link in order to click each option.

The green arrow doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand what it's for, and what idea it's trying to communicate. (?)

Your content/type is very crowded. For example, the link "More Organizations ..." is cropped by the box for "Forms/Documents". A bit of padding will help everything immensely.

The light green text color (against grey background) of the "Student Life" left sidebar is a bit too light and difficult to read.

A usability snob might say "If you need to have a link titled 'Confused about the new site?? Click here!' to explain how to use the navigation/site, then you've got a problem." Something to consider. At the very least, create a generalized "Help" link instead.

"Designed, Created by:" seems like a redundant credit - what is the different between "designed" and "created"? I'm surprised to see a byline on a unversity web site, but you might consider changing it to a standard and accepted "Web site design by" credit (or similar wording), which might also be a better keyword phrase for search engines.

Anyway, all of these issues are minor and easy to address. Good work and good luck with the site!
    -jca

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks good.. I like the colors and the layout, simple to use with massive info... One thing that I think is out of place is that main image that is kinda of greyed out.. I would like to see how it would look with the image in full color instead of the present near transparent one.

OSX
    Safari 1.2
    1280x1024

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there. Well the site is down for me, so my review is very simple in this case:

The site did not load, but the 404 page is very pretty - i love the black text used and the 'page cannot be displayed' heading, it stands out with the bold text.