• VERY COOL (JUST JOKING )

0 0%
  • VERY VERY COOL (JUST JOKING AGAIN ! )

2 66.67%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i create a site on dreamweaver, and when i link this page with another page a created on (Dreamweaver) (for exemple)in My Documents.When i link the url to the page i created in Dreamweaver ("C:\My Documents\PAGE.htm" , which was saved in My documents, won't there be a problem with paths after uploading it on the FTP ?????
    same things for graphics, when i upload the image, won't there be a problem of path cause it won't be in the same file in FTP !

HOPE U UNDERSTOOD ( I know my english is bad, cause in my Country ,we speak FRENCH ! )

Brian

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there!

Dreamweaver could be using what we call the absolute path to your page for one of two reasons. Normally I've found it uses a relative path which would work ok regardless of whether the site is local or on a server somewhere. Something like ../images/image.gif.

Anyway...

Your document isn't saved? Dreamweaver will use the absolute path to images and other pages if you've not yet saved the file you're working on. However it does tend to warn you about it by beeping at you and throwing up a box.

The other thing I can think of is that you're linking to a page outside your site's root folder or that you've not got a site defined. If you're working on just one page, it's going to use the absolute path because it's got no way of knowing that the page you're linking to is part of the same website, so it links to it as you'd link to another website, by using the full address. Make sense? I hope so

If it's an actual site you're building, create a folder for it and define a site as opposed to working on a collection of pages on your hard drive. That way dreamweaver will update all your links automatically and will work fine on a server.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    koolbrian,

I replied to one of your posts with a solution to such linkage problems.

go to: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...tag#post112966

If you don't understand any part of my reply, please amke a post here and I'll try to help you out.

edit: fluffykins...you beat me to this post..( i was finding the url to the post i posted grin* )
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein