SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.adventurecharters.biz

Hello. I designed this site ( Adventure Charters ) for a friend who is just starting a chartering business. I would appreciate your comments regarding the overall design, navigation, etc. He provided and is updating the content so there's not much I can do there. My goal was to make a clean site that doesn't take too long to download. I also want visitors to quickly and easily find what they are looking for (ex. phone, contact info.).

Thank you.
    Regards,

mdeluise
    MDeLuise
    ------------------------------------------------------
    How do you get off of a non-stop flight?
    Steven Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also...
    Any assistance with getting the site seen in major search engines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

mdeluise
    MDeLuise
    Steven Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Steven,

You have achieved a simple, fast loading site. The 3 images on the right however, are way over optimized and make the site look unprofessional.

I think you need to increase the padding of your main content by about 10px, because at the moment it's looking too tight and forced in.

Overall, the site looks good and the content couldn't get any better.

I would suggest dumping the hotmail address and using a name@adventurecharters.biz email as it makes the business look more professional, and it would be great too see an enquiry/booking form on the contact page.

As for SEO, I don't think the use of frames is a good thing to do. But maybe removing them is not an option for you.

You should make your titles <h1> tags and then resize them to a preferred size using css and maybe adding meta tags on the actual pages would help also.

I searched for the site in google and it seems to be indexing the frame page when it could be indexing the actual content of the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you used frames here as they don't seem to be doing what you normally think of for frames. Also search engines don't care much for frames.

You need to specify a background color as it shows grey for me due to my Windows color settings.

Although it looks very nice it just doesn't excite me. Maybe using one of the photos of the people holding a big fish large and basing your design around that like maby the left side of the page be the photo as a broder as opposed to just the little square photos. Something a little fancier like your header, which is VERY nice but everything below that just loses it for me.

Your contact info gets lost in the grey color for the text, darken it up of do an inverse for it, dark background light text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Not sure why you used frames here as they don't seem to be doing what you normally think of for frames. Also search engines don't care much for frames.

You need to specify a background color as it shows grey for me due to my Windows color settings.

Although it looks very nice it just doesn't excite me. Maybe using one of the photos of the people holding a big fish large and basing your design around that like maby the left side of the page be the photo as a broder as opposed to just the little square photos. Something a little fancier like your header, which is VERY nice but everything below that just loses it for me.

Your contact info gets lost in the grey color for the text, darken it up of do an inverse for it, dark background light text.
    Unfortunately the frames must be the result of who my friend used as a web host because I did not use frames. He had mentioned something about finding a place that would host his site cheap. He got what he paid for!

Thanks for the background color suggestion.

mdeluise
    MDeLuise
    Steven Wright

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty decent site - like the logo and banner. Simple, clean, fast.

Several minor issues:

1) Text content needs more space on left and right - too close to the borders, feels smooshed.

2) I like the heading text on the interior pages - should make the index page heading match.

3) Change the gold font color of the testimonials - hard on the eyes.

4) Wouldn't use a hotmail address - seems unprofessional/shady.

5) The images seem a bit too blurry - Regarding the home page image, I'm not sure if it's overoptimization as 33k should be enough to create a clear jpg with an image that size. Take another look at your source photos - reconsider using better/clearer photos, as well as touching them up with photo editing software.

Overall great job with the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is there to say? You wanted a site that was simple and clean and I think you've mastered it. I think the overall design is great along with the colors because they match the fishing/chartering/water theme. I'm a big fan of the centered table kind of site. There is one thing that maybe can be enhanced a bit but the site is very white. Maybe you can add a soft color to the page background? Also, when you click on the Special Charters link, its great that you have a sentence or two about each charter but maybe you can link those pictures to another page that gives more detail about each one rather than have to have the person email you directly to get certain information.
    I don't know much about getting in major search engines. I personally use Google Adwords. It's pretty effective depending on your budget.

Overall, a really nice site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. They were very helpful.

Regards,
    mdeluise
    MDeLuise
    Steven Wright

SitePoint Enthusiast wildekyote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the comments I think the site is good. THe only thing that caught my eye aside from the other responses is the image of the boat. Seeing the boat out of the water may concern people as to why (for repair, etc.) Might be better if you can get a shot on water. The lighting will be better as well for people to see. Not something that mechanics wise hurts the site just something I thought of.
    You only regret the risks you didn't take.

Keith Andersen.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pros:

1/ Great layout, the color scheme is spot on. I am biased towards clean websites without flashing rubbish on the sides, yours looks very matured.

2/ The relavant links are very useful to potential customers.

3/ The personal info is a subtle touch which will inspire confidence in the customers.

4/ Good choice of Fonts throughout.

5/ Links are not sporadick so you can find everything within seconds.

Cons:

1/ The Hotmail address looks very unprofessional, personally I would suggest using your domain name as the e-mail.

2/ The Font on testamonials is slightly depressing, I know people copy the italics as plenty of websites already associate this style with testamonials, however on yours it is hard to read, and brown?

3/ Maybe include a local map on the screen which does not require a third party to host (can be unreliable). It can sometimes be nicer than filling in a form which is a hassle, and many people would not go through with unless they wanted to order anyway.

Tip for Sitepoint: Please get these links to open ina seperate window I had to click BACK like 50 times today already haha!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would suggest making the navigation plain text instead of images, and ussing css to achieve the aqua colored background rollover.

Lose the heavy dropshadow on t he main logo, either use a nice stroke, or use a solid 1px drop shadow. That is more popular because it looks better. Drop shadow always makes me think of the first time i touched photoshop and just played with blending modes.

Use CSS also for ss ppp aa cc cing g. your site is too cramped.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the design. Great feel and emotion, very friendly. Like the rollovers at the top.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, let me say that I love the logo. Very nice!

Some suggestions:
    - The pictures on the right side of the index page look a little small and blurry. Are you able to get clearer or sharper photos from your friend? If so, I'd suggest using those instead.

- The testimonial gold text is hard to read, especially when it is all italicized. My suggestion would be to make it the same dark steel blue as the logo is.

Otherwise, it looks quite nice and it's very easy to navigate. The fish species calendar is a nice touch as well. Good work
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!