SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello
    I am thinking of submitting my website to yahoo (using the paid method), but $200 is a lot of money, so I was wondering if it really really brings you *that* much traffic, I've had ppl tell me they got over 500 hits/day from yahoo, I've had ppl telling me that I wouldn't get anything over 20/day, and I've even been told that yahoo isn't really accepting sites anymore...
    If anyone reading this has their website listed at yahoo, could you please tell me how much traffic does it send you?

thanks in advance!
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my literature site I have over 100 books.

I've only managed to get one of those book subsites listed in Yahoo, 1 out of 100+, using the free method. And I've been trying for 9 months.

Anyways this one listed for The Devil's Dictionary makes it the second most popular subsite on my site. (The Odyssey is first because AOL has it high on one of it's searches)

Now The Devil's Dictionary isn't even a very popular book - its not even close to as well known as most of the other books I have. Yet it performs better than 99% of the other subsites simply because of that one yahoo listing.

And actually for single URL referrals that directory is number one with 30-50 a day. And only AOL overall gives me more referrals than Yahoo, and Yahoo just has that one listing.

So yes, Yahoo will bring in a ton of traffic - especially if your category isn't very full (if it is you may not get much traffic at all - especially if you end up at the bottom.)

Whether or not that ton of traffic is worth $200 to you is your decision.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It matters what category your site will go into, how good your description is, and what type of site you have.

I run a very specific-type site for MUDs that got in the free way and that gives me only 20-30 visitors a day. I also just recently got my humor site added the BizEx way and it brings me 700-800 visitors a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford the $200 go for it. But don't expect miracles in terms of traffic. It will probably help
    but not likely to cause you to need a dedicated server.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's outrageous that yahoo is making people pay $200 to get a better chance of being list. The whole point of a search engine is for people to find there way around the internet alot easier and find sites on what they are searching for not site that have an extra $200 to pay yahoo so there dot com stock will not sewer. Personal I would forget yahoo and go with google and alta vista. Alot of people will walk away from yahoo when they pay there $200 and don't even get listed.

That my 2 cents.
    Thank You
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before anyone plunks down their $200 bucks for Yahoo's BizEx...make darn sure your site meets ALL Yahoo's criteria. Read the fine print on the BizEx very carefully...there are a lot of loopholes in there.

I have submitted every site that I have designed without one being accepted into Yahoo to date <note: using FREE submit> for one reason or the other {one site was rejected based on the fact that on the day they rewiewed the site they were unable to bring up the site with Netscape Navigator...yet I have tested the site with Navigator and it works fine } and yet I have a site that receives 80,000 pageviews monthly without any paid listings anywhere...

Personally I resent that Yahoo has the audacity to charge anyone $200 dollars to LOOK at their site. Yahoo's content is OUR content. Yahoo would have no product without having sites to list in their dirctory.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my site first was listed in Yahoo!, my traffic shot up like a rocket. That was mainly because I was listed on every person's my.yahoo.com page. It was on there for about 3 or 4 days, and then taken off.

Ever since then, my site has received a steady flow of traffic from Yahoo's search as well as their directory.

My advice towards you: Submit your site w/o the $200 charge first- if you don't get a response within 1-2 weeks, then pay the money. I didn't pay anything and I got in pretty quickly.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by totenmaske
    Before anyone
    Personally I resent that Yahoo has the audacity to charge anyone $200 dollars to LOOK at their site. Yahoo's content is OUR content. Yahoo would have no product without having sites to list in their dirctory.
    Look at what happend when they started charging people to for listing on their auctions. Their total listings dropped 90%. Sooner or later their auctions will be worthless, giving ebay more power.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This topic interested me, so I decided to put down $200 to try the Yahoo! Biz Express program... I will let you all know if anything good or bad happens.

Hope that helps. Wish me luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great!

Let us know what happens - how much time it took them to review your website, and if accepted, how much traffic did you receive in the first few days (while you're still listed in the what's new page), and how much traffic did you get on 'normal' days!

[b]
    btw-If you still haven't submitted, I'd give you the tip of while keeping the description short, try to put some of your most important keywords on it - I've heard you'll get significantly more traffic if you do that</b>
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm crossing my fingers... They have two more business days to review my site at the maximum, so I'm expecting something on monday. </wishful thinking>

I'll be sure to come back and tell you all the details as far as statistics, listing time, etc.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother. I'm listed at Yahoo, but I don't get much traffic from it compared to Google.

Focus your efforts there!
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by OllieO
    I wouldn't bother. I'm listed at Yahoo, but I don't get much traffic from it compared to Google.
    I'm a little confused... Google powers Yahoo!'s search, so they are the same in a way.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google powers Yahoo's "Web Page Matches" -- the secondary results that come up when Yahoo can't find any matches within its own directory.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that is the link I tend to click on (bottom of page) as they are always more accurate and useful than the first lot you get.