SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review this CSS based site. Thanks!

Hi

I've recently completed a new homepage for my web dev & graphic design company. With the exception of a small amount of Javascript it's a pure HTML/CSS design (I contemplated using CSS for the mouse rollovers but quite deliberately opted for Javascript with ALT tags instead).

View it at: www.binarydrive.com

I'd appreciate any constructive comments both positive and negative.

Many thanks,

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The design looks good. The only suggestion I can make is giving the layout a background because the text is invisible while the image bg loads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with mstwntd maby change the background of the page to a slight grey, very slight. Just a little off white color would maby make it look better.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like this site - interesting, unique feel, but still familiar enough not to scare people away. Professional quality. Like the buttons/tabs and the way they function. Also, like the images along the right side of the interior pages.

A few issues;

1) The text on the interior pages is a little hard to read. Would consider making the background lighter.

2) Also, can barely read the copyright text. The text should be much lighter.

3) Agree that something needs to be done with the page background. Would try using a very light gray. But, would also try using a very dark grey or other color as well - I think a dark background could potentially work well with this site.

Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Nice site, seems ok asides from copyright text as mentioned above, keep up the good work!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi...

Hi,
    Site looks great, hope you succeed with getting alot of clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concure that the site looks great, but would look better with a diffrent background. Other than that you could clean up the code and anything else that would make it load faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maby change the background of the page to a slight grey
    I think white would be the best choice here as I am seeing the background grey right now (and it doesn't look that hot) due to my Windows color settings and a <body> background was not defined in the CSS.

To address the text not showing untill the background graphics load is set a background color for those containers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows ME, 800 x 600, Internet Explorer 5.

I strongly disagree with previous comments about the background color. You must stick with the white background; it works so well.

The photo on the main page is stunning. Eventually it will grow old and have to be changed, but for now it is a soft, welcoming image that made me smile when I saw it.

I agree that the copyright text is too dim. Copyright is nothing to be ashamed of; let it be seen!

The menu buttons at the top of the screen are intuitive, and the rollover action is clever, but you might want to consider some text links in the welcome statement in addition to menu. It would be helpful if the bulleted services were all hyperlinks to their respective pages, even if some lead the the same page.

I would suggest that you give the other pages of your site the same treatment as the main page. I didn't that lack of color on them. If the images on the far right of the pages were in color they would look much better, but I don't think it's necessary for the images to extent behind the text in these cases.

While I was visiting your clients' websites, I found a major problem on the website of Custard Cards. The text runs outside one of the tables.

Overall this is an amazing website. Now that I've seen what CSS can do, I think I'll have to learn it!

Congratulations.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the positive comments everyone . I will change the background colour of the homepage to make the text readable while the page loads. I'll also make the copyright text a bit more prominent - it was deliberately barely readable but I guess I took it a little too far! I may also increase the contrast between the text/background on the info pages and possibly change the rest of the photo's to colour versions but not just yet

Mishi98: Thanks for your compliment on the photo - I took that picture myself using a little Canon A70 from a light aircraft (my friend recently got his licence, hired a 'plane and took us up!). It's a picture of a harbour at low tide which is about 15 miles from our location. Also, thanks for the heads up on the IE5 bug - we'll get that fixed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One issue with Gecko browsers: the site floats left off the page at minimal browser size of 640 x 480. It little disquieting.

One thing I find curious: why not go CSS for the menu tabs? You obviously have informed reasons -- care to expand

See you got Maersk. I wrote exhibition stand attraction promotional software for them in the early 90's. Fun times ...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaseo
    One issue with Gecko browsers: the site floats left off the page at minimal browser size of 640 x 480. It little disquieting.

One thing I find curious: why not go CSS for the menu tabs? You obviously have informed reasons -- care to expand

See you got Maersk. I wrote exhibition stand attraction promotional software for them in the early 90's. Fun times ...
    I'll look into that Gecko/640x480 problem - thanks.

The reason for Javascript menu tabs over CSS: There are several reasons but the main one is that it's simply more reliable across more platforms to use Javascript with ALT tags. For example - Win/IE6 has a nasty bug which makes single image rollovers 'jittery' (I decline labelling this a 'jitter bug' :P).

Yes, we were pleased to land a job with Maersk

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

nice layout. The colors are a bit "cold", just like the weather in England, I quess

simple and straight-forward, though,

nice job.
    TLC - webdesign & development
    www.internetovestranky.sk

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, let me say that I really like your company name. Very creative I was surprised to see that you don't have a logo though? With a name like that, you really should!

The color scheme and layout are nice, but the graphics look a little faded and almost depressing. I don't know why that is.. maybe the selection of pictures you're using (grass? coastline?...yawn). I'd suggest it be more dynamic - some smiling faces would do wonders for this site!

Also, another color in addition to the green would liven things up a bit.

Hope this helps
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marcus,

I must say i was really impressed by your site. I liked everything about it, be it subtle colours, images or well-organized layout.

I had no difficulty in reading the text on the inner pages. In fact, from the customer standpoint your site speaks for itself. My gutfeel is that people will definately pour in to get their website designed from you.

Great work and good luck,
    Charu.
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments

Sherice - The name & star is the logo and there's no way that can change for now I'm afraid. I know what you mean about the faded/cold look though and I think we will be brightening it up a little - we'll probably use some new colour pictures on the inner sections to bring them more inline with the homepage.

Thanks again for your input everyone - little tweaks like this can make all the difference and this is exactly the reason I posted the site for review

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. A very professional look and feel.

You might want to check it against the validator, there's couple of issues it flags up: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...rydrive.com%2F

-Matt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Matt - We're aware of that validation issue but it doesn't affect the usability of the site in any way whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design a lot. It's fresh and new. Only thing is, it could use some color. The main page is good, but the images on the right side for the rest of the pages really seem like they need some color to make it stand out more. I once read that people tend to remember bad things and memories in black and white but the good things and memories they remember in color. So when someone is visiting your website, you want them to remember it as a good thing. Give them some color to remember. It doesn't have to be tons of it and it doesn't have to be overwhelming, but it should be enough to make them feel good...

(btw - I don't remember where I read or heard that. Wish I could find it again, though..)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. We've now made the following changes to the site:

1) Copyright text more prominent
    2) More contrast between body text and background
    3) New colour pictures on every page
    4) Background colour on homepage so that text can be read while image loads
    5) A few bugfixes
    6) Named anchor links to services on homepage

Thanks again everyone!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more minor bug (may or may not be worth fixing depending on your threshhold of compatibility). On Mozilla in a small window the content drifts off left rather than stopping and scrolling. Stick a border round your centering div to sort this problem.

-Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much better. Great site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Machell
    One more minor bug (may or may not be worth fixing depending on your threshhold of compatibility). On Mozilla in a small window the content drifts off left rather than stopping and scrolling. Stick a border round your centering div to sort this problem.

-Matt
    Thanks Matt - I'll put it on the to-do list. It is outside of our brief (targetted minimum is 800x600) but I'll get it fixed anyway

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smooth!

Could use a better logo and more contrast between the background and text as someone already mentioned.

I also think that you could utilize the power of css better by adding a print style. I recently revamped my site so that it was printer friendly.

My site is now Printer Friendly:
    • Print in Black and White
    • Not print navigational elements
    • Exclude the top banner image (still need to work in a logo)
    • Print only the information people really want
    What a difference this made in my site. You can easily incorporate this in your site too. Let me know if you need any pointers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The color pictures look awesome! My favorite is the lighthouse. It looks like something out of the computer game Myst. I even like how the picture isn't super sharp. The slight lack of sharpness not only speeds up download time, but it makes the image feel almost surreal. The color pictures are an unbelieveable inprovement.

This is honestly one of the best sites I have ever seen, seriously.

But you could make the copyright text even a little more visible. Just a little bit more.

I like your use of typographical elements to make the pages more interesting; for example, I like the use of brackets on the packages page. It's all in the details.

I hope you carry the design theme of this website onto your printed marketing material.

It's just wonderful.