SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my questions I'll try to explain it as simple as possible. When I take pictures with my digital cam. or scan pictures for my site I upload then using photoshop. I leave then the exact size witch is really huge and save them....Then I put then on my site I us Frontpage to do my site...After I put the pictures on there and resize them to a size I like I restore them to compress the download time and everything looks good in the preview. Now on to the question when I goto upload my site via FTP and view it on the web all my pictures look really bluring and not very clear at all you can't even make out the faces on some. So is there anyway I can fix this or am I just making the pictures too small. Any help with this would be great thanks a lot for all your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, JPG compression algorithm will give you such a result. Have to trade off between size and quality. But you should choose the appropriate level

Second, FrontPage preview is quite a liar in this case
    Soln: manually compress the image (avoid FP with image processing), use PSD
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand your statement correctly, you're resizing your images in FP. The problem is FP doesn't actually resize them, it simply makes the hieght and width attributes smaller. Its still the same image, just squeezed down. This can also make for ugly renderings.

If you have PhotoShop, do all of your resizing and compression from there - its one the best pieces of software for that specific purpose!
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and if you have at least Photoshop 5.5 you can select "save for web".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich
    If I understand your statement correctly, you're resizing your images in FP. The problem is FP doesn't actually resize them, it simply makes the hieght and width attributes smaller. Its still the same image, just squeezed down. This can also make for ugly renderings.

If you have PhotoShop, do all of your resizing and compression from there - its one the best pieces of software for that specific purpose!
    Actually FP2K has its thumbnail feature, which create the thumbnail and the preview just "looks" perfect!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If oyu ain't using the thumbnail feature,
    by editing the images currently displayed on your page which is opened in frontpage ( all at one time ),
    frontpage doens't refreshes to show you the updated image.

so that may be the reason why you ain't seen the effects.

secondly, after compression from jpg, you should use gif

it generally retains the quality, yet doens't have those effects, and of coz, smaller file size.

if you haven't tried Ulead SmartSaver 3.0, you outa. its exclelent software for ocmpressing your iimages.

many advanced options like reducing the image colours to say 10 or something ( normal is 128 )
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Son Nguyen

Actually FP2K has its thumbnail feature, which create the thumbnail and the preview just "looks" perfect!
    But, I don't believe he is using thumbnails.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys and gals are the best these tips are the best I don't know what I'd do without you!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to be of any Help HardBody ( Did I? LOL )

All the best!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you're using thumbnails, you probably don't want the larger image to be as big as it is orignally, and it still needs compressing. Also, while it's correct that GIFis a better format for simple images, .jpg is the way to go for photographs. GIF images will result in much larger files. So, you need to resize them to something reasonable for the web and then make sure you choose "optimized" and "low quality" when you save the images in Photoshop.