SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you bought the laptop with a Credit Card, you may be able to go through them to get some pull... Most CC companies have a policy that protect consumers from these kind of activities.... of course, the CC company may side with the store too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make some extra dead pixels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm a little late, but anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    3. No, a dead pixel can't be repaired. Because the screen itself is manufactured as one part, the entire screen must be discarded when there are faults in it. However, don't let that deter you from returning it. Manufacturers discard screens all the time due to faults, before they reach stores. The only way you can get a screen with a fault is if they missed the fault, or don't consider it enough of a fault to throw away.
    Well, I have found that sometimes if you rub them sternly sometimes it can sorta like "wiggle" back into the right place. A few notebooks with the little control knob thing sometimes gets pushed against the screen and sometimes starts messing up the pixels.

Also, there is a world-wide shortage on LCD pannels and some places, like Dell, have you waiting around 3 months before replacements can arrive.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read something like 15-20% of new LCD screens have at least one dead pixel in them. It's very common. I wouldn't waste my time returning a screen with one dead pixel, one dead pixel doesn't bother me at all. I would keep the screen, but that is up to you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one single dead pixel as well, but it only does not work some of the time....

Whats causing this?
    Www.silvergemstones.co.uk < Silver gemstone jewellery!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would frustrate the heck out of me. I would get something like totalcare from dell and have them replace the laptop even if i had to be unethical about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipwhite
    That would frustrate the heck out of me. I would get something like totalcare from dell and have them replace the laptop even if i had to be unethical about it.
    Not quite the same situation as yours but . . . I got a new TFT in December and I went through THREE monitors and two stores before I got one that was acceptable. I ended up at Fry's where I bought an extended 5 year warranty. If it screws up, I take it in, they fix or replace it and give me a loaner in the meantime. Takes some of the anxiety and hassle out of an expensive purchase.

The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of screens sold do not have any dead pixels.
    To be honest - I'd never even heard of a dead pixel before reading this thread. And we've got 3 Diamond View LCD monitors, and 2 laptops - a Thinkpad and a Compaq. So out of 5 LCD displays we have 5 that are all fine.

I'm with mmj - don't let manufacturers convince you that defects are normal. Would you publish a website that had defects and tell your client that it's normal? Of course not!

Hogwash!!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyShark
    Would you publish a website that had defects and tell your client that it's normal? Of course not!

Hogwash!!!
    Bill Gates and Microsoft would
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the myth that manufacturers like to perpetrate so that most people will not complain about dead pixels. The truth is different. The majority of screens sold do not have any dead pixels. In addition to this, manufacturers already discard quite a lot of screens due to defects. Manufacturers wouldn't go out of business if they replaced screens with dead pixels.
    The math is really easy: The more they throw away, the more expensive the remaining screens have to be. And in fact the few manufacturers that guarantee zero dead pixels have prices well above average.

Out of curiosity: Can you refer us to any "hard facts" that support what you said: "This is the myth that manufacturers like to perpetrate so that most people will not complain about dead pixels. The truth is different."
    Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation dead pixels

Working for a major computer Co. in the support side of things We see this every once and a while 5 dead pixels is industry standard and all manufacturers do post this on their sites as do resellers Look at LCD's on http://Newegg.com all of them state this right on the description. As for the manufacturers you have to search their support sites for this info. It is my experience that when you state the industry standard (which is regulated by the FTC) most people accept this. If not accepted I will exchange the LCD as a cust sat issue but with the statement of the industry standard and there is absolutely no guarantee that that the new LCD will be any better and can rarely but can happen get worse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyuri
    I have found that sometimes if you rub them sternly sometimes it can sorta like "wiggle" back into the right place.
    Yep, I've heard this too, and it makes sense. However, I'd be worried about causing more damage to the screen, and voiding the warranty at the same time. What I'm saying is that it could be risky.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R. U. Serious
    The math is really easy: The more they throw away, the more expensive the remaining screens have to be. And in fact the few manufacturers that guarantee zero dead pixels have prices well above average.

Out of curiosity: Can you refer us to any "hard facts" that support what you said: "This is the myth that manufacturers like to perpetrate so that most people will not complain about dead pixels. The truth is different."
    Thanks.
    I'm afraid I don't have any statistics or sources on hand with regard to how many monitors are sold with pixels, but it is a very small percentage of monitors sold.

One very convincing 'hard fact' however is that some manufacturers are now offering zero-dead-pixel guarantees. If the 'myths' were true, then it would be impossible for a manufacturer to offer a zero dead pixel guarantee.

Besides, these are massive companies and can surely afford to lower their profit margin by a small fraction to remain honest. It's good to see that some manufacturers have begun to realise that trying to outbid their competitors by lowering quality control standards and knowingly selling a number of faulty products can come back to haunt them later. Their products cost a little more, but that's because they don't sell any knowingly faulty products. There is a significant amount of value in knowing that your screen will never have a dead pixel in the warranty period, or it'll be replaced.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a compaq with a uxga screen, came from factory with a dead pixel.. complained and complained nothing happened, to my knowledge no company will replace anything less than 3. theres also different types of dead pixels, either blue or green, with different regulations for each. good luck friend but u might just wanna learn to deal with it.

SitePoint Member RedLionTech_BMA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Toshiba laptop in January 2003 and it had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. I called about it and got the same ridiculous policy talk. I noticed, however, that it only showed up on very dark images (black) and only at certain screen angles. I can't even see it anymore and have actually forgotten it was there.

If you aren't able to return it, I would suggest just sticking it out. You may come to have a similar experience as me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the interest in this issue. I think we're all a bit better educated on the subject now, even though we might not agree with standard manufacturers policies on this issue :-)

As for us - yes, it's mildly annoying, but not a big deal in the bigger picture.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise