User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new laptop, dead pixel - acceptable?

Hi All,

We've just bounght a new laptop/notepad (NEC), but discovered that it has a single dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

We're taking it back now to the local store with the expectation that it will be swapped for another machine but, not being very up with notepad issues, I was just curious to learn from others:

1. Are dead pixels common on laptop screens?
    2. Are dead pixels strictly a hardware failure, or can they be software related?
    3. Can dead pixels be repaired, or is it always a case of swapping the screen for a new one?
    4. Can we expect that, over time, dead pixels on our laptop will 'naturally' increase?

Thanks - just curious!
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear it tends to happen on LCD's, has never happened to me.
    But if it did, it would drive me nuts and I would have it back at the store SO FAST.
    If they turn you away, call NEC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JRMillion - my associate has just called me from the store, and the store is telling him that NEC's policy is that only if it has 5 or more pixels would they replace it. And the store is going to forward to us an email to this effect from NEC.

So basically the store is saying they won't replace it because NEC won't.

Bugger! On the one hand it's only 1 pixel, but on the other it's a brand new machine, and as small as the defect is, it's a defect nonetheless. Hmmm. Considering our position...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep calling NEC... again, and again, and again and again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine had a dead pixel out of the box...

Been a year now and it has 2 dead pixels. Doesn't bother me though...

I'd call NEC anyways if it bothers you.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRMillion
    keep calling NEC... again, and again, and again and again.
    Exactly! They can't (and won't) ignore you forever. Honestly, the five pixels or more policy is kind of rediculous. I would definitely keep calling.

Just to give you some background information though -- it's difficult to manufacture perfect LCD screens -- especially the often-used XGA types. The higher quality you go (SXGA --> SXGA+ --> UXGA --> UXGA+), the more and more complex, and as a result expensive, the manufacturing process is. That also results in a much lower chance of dead pixels.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All manufacturers have different dead pixel policies, and these policies will even vary between countries for the same manufacturer. Some retailers or manufacturers have policies that if you take it back within 7 days, or 3 days, or the same day, they'll simply swap it over - even if it's against the manufacturer's usual dead pixel policies. You might be lucky. However, my point is that you need to be fast. The quicker you take it back to where you bought it, the more likely they are to replace it for you. Try taking it back the very same day.

1. Are dead pixels common on laptop screens?
    2. Are dead pixels strictly a hardware failure, or can they be software related?
    3. Can dead pixels be repaired, or is it always a case of swapping the screen for a new one?
    4. Can we expect that, over time, dead pixels on our laptop will 'naturally' increase?
    1. Depends what you mean by common. You're very unlikely to ever see two laptops at once, both with a dead pixel. However, it's possible.

2. Hardware failure only.

3. No, a dead pixel can't be repaired. Because the screen itself is manufactured as one part, the entire screen must be discarded when there are faults in it. However, don't let that deter you from returning it. Manufacturers discard screens all the time due to faults, before they reach stores. The only way you can get a screen with a fault is if they missed the fault, or don't consider it enough of a fault to throw away.

4. Yes, but this depends heavily on what type of screen it is, the manufacturer, and just plain luck. It's possible to own a screen that never develops a dead pixel, ever. However, it's also possible for a screen to develop dead pixels with age. In an ideal world, these would be classed as faulty and replaced by the manufacturer (given that they're in warranty). However, some manufacturers won't do that. Don't let them tell you that all screens develop dead pixels with age though - it's not true.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just bought it, I'd just return it if they refuse to replace it. Then purchase your laptop elsewhere and make sure the store knows it's their lack of customer service that's pushing your business elsewhere. If you push hard enough they should replace it. Business' think they can get away with this kind of crap simply because customers don't push back... it's actually trained now..

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snickered at first when I read it (what's one dead pixel going to matter?), but then I realized how much it would drive me crazy.

It's probably something you could get used to, but I'd lean on them a bit to see if you can get a replacement. Either that or figure out how to kill 4 other pixels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One pixel may not seem like much but consider that you paid for a brand new PC. The assumption is that it should be free from defects, which obviously it is not. Precisely the reason I've never understood why customers don't speak up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got off the phone the 'NEC Computers' here in Australia. They confirmed the following:

For a laptop screen to be deemed 'faulty' within the (I think) 12 months guarantee period, it must have either
    1. 5 or more 'scattered' dead pixels, or
    2. 2/3 or more 'grouped/joined' dead pixels.

We phoned NEC just to double check that the store wasn't bullSh$tting us, and it appears that they weren't.

On balance, we've decided to keep the laptop regardless and just get on with it. All things considered, we've got a fantastic deal on this machine, and whilst we'd rather have zero dead pixels than 1 dead pixels, this issue is not enough for us to insist on a refund from the store (not worth our time, and not sure we could find the same deal elsewhere).

So there you have it! Food for thought for the next person with a dead pixel on their hands!!! :-)

P.S. Don't get me wrong - I'm normally the first to demand justice from a store when I feel that I've been wronged as a consumer - it's just that, in the bigger picture, we've got much more important things to deal with right now over and above a single dead pixel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is ridiculous. My roommate got a new PC from Dell and his monitor had one dead pixel. He called Dell and they gave him the same run around saying that they wouldn't replace it. I got on the phone with them, kept asking for supervisor, got an angry tone of voice and after 30 minutes of yelling at some guy at Dell they send a replacement monitor overnight .

Call again and get to a higher up, tell them you will complain to the FTC or whoever is the equivilent in Australia.

Good Luck,
    Keegan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that you should be persistent. Keep in mind that having a dead pixel 'policy' itself is wrong, even if it's what the manufacturers say. Essentially what they're doing is selling faulty products. I'd try returning the laptop to the store for a refund. Surely they could do that if it's within a couple of days. Then tell the manufacturer that you're going to buy another brand, one with a zero dead pixel guarantee. A number of manufacturers provide zero dead pixel guarantees, and still others say that while a dead pixel near the edge of a screen is not a fault, a dead pixel near the middle is. I'd say be persistent. Even with large organisations with seemingly iron-clad policies, whether you get a replacement or not for a dead pixel can depend on who you talk to.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just phoned 'Consumer and Employment Protection' here in Australia: http://www.docep.wa.gov.au

Their advice was this (and the guy indicated that they've received similar 'dead pixel' queries like this before): They DO consider this to be a fault and worthy of a replacement regardless of what the warranty/NEC say BUT because we bought it for business purposes (as opposed to home/personal purposes) they are not able to act on our behalf. Because we bought it for business purposes our only recourse would have to be legal at our own cost.

I'm adding this note here just to keep people informed. We don't plan to take this further (call me a wimp!) simply because we are a small business with limited time and resources and with much bigger challenges to worry about than a single dead pixel. Annoying, yes, but 'the bigger picture' dicates that we live with it (it's not that irritating - yet!!) and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then what I would advice is calling NEC and tell them that you spoke to the Consumer and Employment protection regarding your laptop and they say that since its your home computer that they need to replace it. If NEC doesn't then tell them that you will press action against them.

NEC doesn't know that your computer is used for business, call and threaten them. You still might be able to walk away from this with a new laptop with NO dead pixels. You should legally get the replacement or repair you are ENTITLED to as per your warranty.

You still have many ways to get this resolved without costing you money for taking them to court. I can't imagine a large company like NEC going through this much hassle over one laptop.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most companies expect a tft screen to have dead pixels...because their so hard to make...ill have a look at the warenty info for my sony vaio and find out what they class as an ok number
    www.dmpdesign.net - cheap web design for everyone
    Visit one of my websites - Click Here
    contact me on msn messenger - steve1030_uk@hotmail.com
    or yahoo messenger - djsteve1030

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    Keep in mind that having a dead pixel 'policy' itself is wrong, even if it's what the manufacturers say.
    Unfortunately the current state of the art in LCD production means that dead-pixels are unavoidable, unless you are ready to destroy a huge share of your production right out of the production line.

So almost all manufacturers allow for a few defective pixels to exists in their retail products. This is actually codified in a ISO standard.

Tom's hardware has a good article on this subject : http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is gonna sound really really weird but...try massaging the dead pixel area with your finger very gently. A lot of time this activates it and prevents a return.

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me when I purchased a machine from CompUSA. What saved me was I asked for the machine to be booted up in store before I went home to check so once this one had dead pixels I asked them to go and get a different one. Just a word of advice for the future...don't leave the store until you are sure you are happy.
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dead pixels are common and like others have said in most cases you need to have 3+ dead ones for vendor replacement.

I had one on my Dell laptop but i lived with it for nearly 3 years.. found a background that didn't have much glare and ended up getting a docking station and a seperate monitor for the long usage periods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They make them so the laptops burn out before they get to five pixels anyway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Betcour
    Unfortunately the current state of the art in LCD production means that dead-pixels are unavoidable, unless you are ready to destroy a huge share of your production right out of the production line.
    This is the myth that manufacturers like to perpetrate so that most people will not complain about dead pixels. The truth is different. The majority of screens sold do not have any dead pixels. In addition to this, manufacturers already discard quite a lot of screens due to defects. Manufacturers wouldn't go out of business if they replaced screens with dead pixels.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pixels are very small. It is hard to tell if you are looking at 1, 2 or 5 pixels. For all you know there are 5 pixels dead. Hear what I'm saying?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you "just bought it" and they won't exchange it, just return it outright. Then go to the computer store down the streed (or to dell.com ) and get a new computer.

-Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    Pixels are very small. It is hard to tell if you are looking at 1, 2 or 5 pixels. For all you know there are 5 pixels dead. Hear what I'm saying?
    If it's an XGA screen, I can guarantee that you won't have any problems figuring the number of falty pixels.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.