SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: will the term 'google' replace the term 'search engine'?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • search engine, whats that? just google it!

14 73.68%
  • whos google? i prefer to use search engines

5 26.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google replacing the term 'search engine'

besides the fact that google can be found on dictionary.com -> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=google

does any one really say "try searching for this in a search engine"? everyone seems to go with "just google it," i know i do.

so, will 'google' soon replace the term 'search engine'?

hopefully this will stir up some good conversation.

proGFX

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not if Google can help it. They guard their trademark as they should. If they didn't they could lose their trademark to it much as Sony lost if for the term "Walkman". When Walkman became synonymous for "portable cassette player" and Sony didn't enforce their trademark they lost it. Now another manufacaturer can call their portable cassette player a Walkman and not be sued. I'm not sure if anyone has taken advantage of this tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i remember the walkman

haha but your point is very true and you cant blame them for guarding they have been built up so much.

proGFX

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also remains to be seen on how long Google will survive as the dominant player.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, missed something (maybe since it's intermission between (the Ottawa vs Toronto hockey game) the 1st and 2nd intermission), but how did Sony not gaurd their TM/Copyright? I know that you have to persue legal action if you see something infringing (ie. microsoft on mikerowesoft.com, if they didn't, they could lose their copyright)... but what, you want Google to sue people who say "I'm going to google it"? I'm confused at how they defend their copyright here... I missed the walkman saga obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What next, I get sued for calling a facial tissue a Kleenex in conversation?
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Woah, missed something (maybe since it's intermission between (the Ottawa vs Toronto hockey game) the 1st and 2nd intermission), but how did Sony not gaurd their TM/Copyright? I know that you have to persue legal action if you see something infringing (ie. microsoft on mikerowesoft.com, if they didn't, they could lose their copyright)... but what, you want Google to sue people who say "I'm going to google it"? I'm confused at how they defend their copyright here... I missed the walkman saga obviously.
    I'm not an expert on this topic but apparently Sony didn't do their best to prevent the name "Walkman" from being freely associated with portable cassette players by the world at large. An example would be if I ran a glossary website and made an entry called "Walkman" without a little 'tm' after it and then defined Walkman as a portable cassette player and didn't say "manufactured by Sony" that would a case were Walkman became a generic term for a portable cassette player. If this were to happen often and Sony never challenged the lack of a trademark then they basically allowed it to become a generic term in the public domain. I've encounterred many posts/articles were it was mentioned that Google contacted a webmaster to have them either add a 'tm' to their Google entry (typically as defining Google as a verb meaning to search on the Internet) or remove the entry altogether. Now if Google was ever challenged in court as to not enforcing their trademark they can show that have done so.

As for the Sony example I do believe that case was in Australia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren
    That's actually a good example as well as to "hoover" the carpet (after Hoover brand vacuums). You don't get sued for using it, tho. But not doing their best to kepp their names an industry trademark can cause them to lose the trademark.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I got it. Yeah, Kleenex is the other one. Would this apply to companies or individuals too?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Xerox is another diluted trademark (copiers), and Coke and Pepsi do what they can not to end up in the same situation .

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't search, I Google.

I've never even considered using another engine... Google has always delivered the results I want and need in a clean interface and with minimal temporal waste. Even though EarthLink, my ISP, has branded Google to their start page and toolbars, I use nothing bu Google's own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Xerox is another diluted trademark (copiers), and Coke and Pepsi do what they can not to end up in the same situation .
    Coke once sued a mom and pop shop for not corrected customers who ordered a "coke" even though they only serve pepsi! True story. They actually send undercover agents around ordering "cokes" from places that only serve pepsi. If the the waiter/waitress doesn't say, "Is pepsi ok?" or something similar they give the place a warning. Three strikes and you're out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Oh, I got it. Yeah, Kleenex is the other one. Would this apply to companies or individuals too?
    Companies only I would presume. Unless you're making a buck at their expense then I'm sure they'll take aim at you, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren
    Just make sure that at the end of the conversation you say "Kleenex is a registered trademark of Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc."

Then you should be alright.

--ed

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    Just make sure that at the end of the conversation you say "Kleenex is a registered trademark of Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc."

Then you should be alright.

--ed
    So true, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    Be sure to say it really fast like those radio guys reading disclaimers too .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Be sure to say it really fast like those radio guys reading disclaimers too .
    haha very nice

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Coke once sued a mom and pop shop for not corrected customers who ordered a "coke" even though they only serve pepsi! True story. They actually send undercover agents around ordering "cokes" from places that only serve pepsi. If the the waiter/waitress doesn't say, "Is pepsi ok?" or something similar they give the place a warning. Three strikes and you're out.
    This actually happens a whole lot... There was a bar here and they offered a "Rum and coke" but the bartender was using Pepsi instead of Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola came in and said, "You must be specific when you offer a drink". So he has to call it a "Rum and soda" or "Rum and Pepsi". As soon as a term becomes generic there is no way to enforce the trademark and Coca-Cola is fighting this battle but slowly losing, from research though, this problem only seems to occur in the south. The northern part of the country seems to be Pepsi drinkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hartman, good point. however, i think i might have to disagree with you a little bit. it seems to be that on the southern east coast (virginia and down) most places sell pepsi where as places from maryland and up offer coke. just depends who you are able to create a vending contract with.

proGFX

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proGFX
    hartman, good point. however, i think i might have to disagree with you a little bit. it seems to be that on the southern east coast (virginia and down) most places sell pepsi where as places from maryland and up offer coke. just depends who you are able to create a vending contract with.

proGFX
    Yeah, I was being very general. I have a breakdown of all Coca-Cola's marketing research somewhere around here but I'm too lazy to get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha sounds good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another big loss of brand was rollerblades ... sometimes its just too hard to protect.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Huh? How could coke do anything to them if pepsi supply that business?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonzen
    Huh? How could coke do anything to them if pepsi supply that business?
    Well it falls under a couple of different categories... They were using the word "Coke" to sell Pepsi, so you have false advertising and trademark infringements. They were basically keeping their name from becoming generic, they didn't care what the other product was (as long as it wasn't Coca-Cola)...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 'google' too, or 'google it'- started using it in 2000 and have never used another search engine, so it's just evolved into a verb for me.

ANother interesting one, 'photoshopping' or 'photoshopped'- I hear Adobe, contrary to what you would think, aren't to happy about that
    -Jon