SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile My First E-Commerce Site...

I would really like to get some feedback on the site I'm designing currently. We're finalizing everything and hope to get it up shortly, but if there are things I can do to give my client a bigger bang for her buck, so to speak, I would like to do it.

This is my first e-commerce site that I've built. I'm using Net Objects Fusion, and honestly don't know enough to do my own code or clean up what's in there.

Basically, is the site inviting? Easy to navigate? Present the merchandise in an effective manner?

Thanks!

www.allaboutcats.cc

*Edited because site went live, no longer on temp address.
    Last edited by valanhb; Apr 28, 2004 at 13:08.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This website has a definite old-fashioned feel to it, like a mom and pop store of yester-year. The type that has a barrel of sour pickles and a bin of candy for the kids, and a pot-bellied stove where you can prop up your feet. A welcoming feel to it to be sure, but at first glance it does not look like a typical professional merchandise-driven website. More like a scrapbook with memories and only after really looking at it, do you realize that they actually do sell products.

I am so used to being flooded with websites that I equate with stepping on a used car lot and being bombarded with high pressure sales. This is a very refreshing change imo

I like the colors used and the graphics, but then I am partial to cats!

*Spoken as a consumer only, not a designer*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Firstly, your re-design is definately a big improvement over the old site.

I didn't fancy the bevel effects on most graphics on your pages however. Those effects were cool in the mid 90's, but today they just dont give sites a professional image unless they're really small.

The loading time was rather slow and the the coding was unbelievably long, containing unnecessary tags such as <font> which could easily be replaced in an external css document.

Also the header image didn't get cached probably because you had a different copy for each page.

Overall the usability was pretty good and the answer to your questions posted would be a Yes from me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site has a sort of amateur look to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For this type of site, a super-slick expensive look probably isn't what they want.

I don't know if these are more nit-picky things that you would be getting to later on, and you were more interested in comments on the design, but here they are anyway:

I'd see if you could reduce the file size of the header graphic. 41kb feels like a bit much for a graphic of that resolution that's fairly simple.

On http://www.savesamoa.org/AAC/html/wa...ssories_0.html, and probably other details pages, there are white blocks of spacer gifs visible. If you really need spacer gifs, these should be transparent, not white.

The Stationary & Office image on the home page isn't a clickable link, like the other images are.
    www.ratethatcommentary.com:
    DVD commentary track ratings/reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi,

The look and feel of the site is certainly a personal one. Loading takes slightly more time than normal. Though i like the images, they are purr-fect, the font can be changed to give a more professional look.

The gap in the top left hand corner seems out of place. Maybe starting the left menu from a little above might help.

However, i have to say that the site is a nice attempt.

Cheers,
    Charu
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 , WinXP pro Sp1, 128kb/s, IE6.0 Opera7.23.

Simple and nice site. Buttons are easy to locate and push but loading speed is kind a slow considering the total amount of one page at about 500 kb. So I'd suggest you to lite it up. I like the blue nuance of the site, it sticks with cats theme. The displaying was the same on both browsers. The size of the font below the pics looks a little too big for me.

As I understand you provide local services, but you do not mention your location and your service area, on the home page.

Everything looks better than the previous site, after all. I think you'll have lots of customers. Good Luck.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reviews so far! I have noticed that the pages are a bit slow loading but I wasn't sure if it was the server they are temporarily on. I will try to optimize the images some more to reduce the load time, as well as try to get that pesky spacer GIF to be transparent.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design of the site and its simplicity. The navigation is very easy and the cat gives that element an extra touch.

Some things I saw that were really small, but still worth mentioning are:
    • Footer text - the footer text does not need to be the same size as regular text. You can make it much smaller and thus give more emphasis to the actual content of the page.
    • Font usage - you've got both sans-serif and serif fonts on the page. This is okay... but I don't see that they're used in any particular scheme... just looks like the "Meet Nickie - May’s" is missing the font properties like the rest of the site.
    • Link colors - The default link colors are pretty bad... bright blue?? You could change the colors to match the color scheme of your site.

Nicely done... seems like you have the market cornered on cat stuff! I'll have to keep my wife away from your site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback! I've implemented most of the suggestions here, and it definitely made a big difference to the site. We put the site on her new server, and the DNS was switched over today. My client is very excited about the new look of her site and hopes to generate a lot more interest and orders than her previous site did.

Of course, I'm definitely open to any further suggestions and critques.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one mistake is on the pop up when you click to add someting to your cart. It says the right click on the recaculate button to do the shipping, when it should be a left click.
    I think thats right.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone