User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[review] Simple Site

http://www.kupuj-taniej.com/

I am making this site for my dad's small business (a Travel Agency). It's in another language (polish) but i'm just wondering about the design. I've tried making alot of different sites, and i've showed him some other templates,etc. This is what he wants... he wants it to be real simple+clean. I think it has too much white space, needs more info? What can i add to still keep it simple?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This actually looks quite nice, clean, but at the same time visually attractive.

A couple of points:

In IE at 800x600 there is a horizontal scrollbar. The elements on your page would fit nicely within that viewport, so you might look into narrowing your page to lose the horizontal scrollbar.

Image maps do not work well with the search engines, and I see you're not using 'alt text' though you've included the tags, so you might be planning to fill those later.

This design would appear to lend itself to .css quite well. You might want to explore options to the image map. It will assist the se spiders reading your page.

Nice work!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by albion7
    This actually looks quite nice, clean, but at the same time visually attractive.

A couple of points:

In IE at 800x600 there is a horizontal scrollbar. The elements on your page would fit nicely within that viewport, so you might look into narrowing your page to lose the horizontal scrollbar.

Image maps do not work well with the search engines, and I see you're not using 'alt text' though you've included the tags, so you might be planning to fill those later.

This design would appear to lend itself to .css quite well. You might want to explore options to the image map. It will assist the se spiders reading your page.

Nice work!
    Thanks for helping. Yea i'll be filling in the alt text once i'm ready with this design. About the image map, I made the site in fireworks and exported to dreamweaver. How can i can change it from an image map?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the site in fireworks and exported to dreamweaver. How can i can change it from an image map?
    I just noticed that *all* your content is in images. I use a text editor to write my html and css, and I have no familiarity with fireworks or dreamweaver, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.

A starting point might be to look at "Taming Lists" at ALA: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/

Navigation menus lend themselves quite well to lists, and that is a rather good introduction to the same.

One re-stated piece of advice: the search engines cannot see the text in your images. To get an idea of what your page would look like to a se spider, (no images), take a look through Lynx:
    http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

This is *all* you will see: [USEMAP:index2.gif]
    and that is *all* a se spider will see. Nothing to index, no links, no text. Your nice looking page is *invisible*

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as I said, the simple remedy would be to get your navigation and body text out of the images.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too fond of the black text on the blue images. Just seems like its hard to read. Maybe it's just the font but it look scribbly.

It's also very easy to have these sites translated into other languages, I would do that just to give it more appeal over a broad range.

Just my .01
    PublisherMedia.com - Sell your ad-space direct

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should put more information and possibly another image in the left box in the middle.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input everyone, and yea i'm going to throw in an image in that empty box. How can i easily translate the site? A translation program? I've looked at a few sites, and the translations come out REAL bad. Like: I walk my dog to school is -
    "(pet) walk into learn centers."

Thanks for the help albino, i'll take a look at the link. I'll answer in a few minutes.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use http://world.altavista.com to translate all my text.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great, but it doesn't support the language i'm looking for (polish), Thanks though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pretty nice looking site. I wouldnt rely on the fireworks export html tool however. It doesnt generate the prettiest code. Same as the image maps. You shold slice your layout in fireworks and then code it in dreamweaver or by hand. But I am assuming that is just an example layout which is not the final coded product so I appologize if I am giving you stupid suggestions you already know.

Also I don't know if it was just my computer or not, but I found the aqua blue a bit too strong on the eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good.

I havent read the previous posts, so some of my comments might be the same, but here we go:

- I find the text a little too black tho or is it the font type? hmm
    - The bar in the bottom: Try make it the same width as the top bar

Nb. Most of my points are negative, this dosent mean everything is bad.
    Hope you can use my comments

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, good idea - i'll change the font, make it more clear/readable. Anyone else? I really want to know how to change my fireworks image into a normal format, atm i did export html - but that isn't going to work too well with google,etc.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Althought white is always the best, possibly thinking about changing the bg - what else can i put in to still make it look good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get away from the image map thing do you nav bars as <div> and style the backgrounds and the text for them with CSS (or at very least a table if you don't know CSS). Same with your body content. Also don't bold all your copy, it makes it too hard to read, reserve the bold for headlines and things you need to draw attention to.

Don't reduce your color palette too much on your gradients, then they won't be banded like they are.

You say travel, as in tourism? If so that header image does not work. Find a nice photo of one of the destinations your Dad sends people to or at very least a stock photo that could pass for such or a happy smiling face, the techno look just doesn't say travel.

SitePoint Member dwhswebhosting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absorb
    http://www.kupuj-taniej.com/

I am making this site for my dad's small business (a Travel Agency). It's in another language (polish) but i'm just wondering about the design. I've tried making alot of different sites, and i've showed him some other templates,etc. This is what he wants... he wants it to be real simple+clean. I think it has too much white space, needs more info? What can i add to still keep it simple?
    It's o.k. but off my first thought was not good but the more I looked the better it got.

Maybe something framing the bottom and bottom sides would complete it. I like those broken lines used for frames llike the line going down on the this page:

http://www.dwhswebhosting.com

Just a thought good job.
    Charles | DWHS Web Hosting Networks
    DWHS Web Hosting for $3.00
    My Life Blog

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was in English I'd certainly give you content realted feedback, but visually the site looks good. It'd help if you didn't use images for text though. The bg in the header is very cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me, I really like the banner, with the whole grid type look. Not so sure about the dolphins thought. And the size of it is a little big. But other than that I like it. Even thought I cant read it.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 WinXp 128kb/s I.E. Opera7.23

Yeah, a pale background color would make sense, as you noticed by yourself. The Header is pretty nice (and not that simple). The buttons are large enough but a roll over effect would make them more attractive. Also add Meta tags on description and keywords of the site.
    I think you overlooked the title of page it's "index2" now, i don't think it should be named like this.

The displaying is ok on both browsers and the loading speed is ok as well.
    Last edited by Emankcin; Apr 23, 2004 at 03:15.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try to slice the images. that might help cut the loading time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the loading speed on siteconfidence.co.uk - shows as 25secs on a 56k modem, speed tested is @ 40k so not too bad considering its all images.

I was surprised to see even the copyright is down as an image - the search engines as stated above won't have anything to go on - people will really only find the site if your Dad gave out the url etc.

I've never used fireworks - i guess its completely image based, rather than image & text/html. Replacing some images with text will improve load time and search engine pickups.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comments:

1) Page title is missing
    2) Never use bold for a paragraph worth of text
    3) I really like the top part, but I can hardly look at the bottom part. I think with a couple tweeks you can make the bottom part look as professional as the top. For example, I think if the bottom bar were as wide as the top of your page it would help a lot.
    4) The gradient in the graphics is appearing because you are sampling your pictures too low. I understand the need to keep page size down, but perhaps it would be better to have less pictures if that's the case.

Fireworks:

When i export from Fireworks I prefer to slice everything up and export as "CSS layers" rather then "html and images". You get a better idea of positioning and it always seems to work out better. The only one thing to note is that when you export as CSS layers you can't export image maps.

In that case export the image map seperately and then paste that code in the appropriate place in your exported CSS layer code.

Also, after exporting as CSS layers use this only as a guideline. If you exported text for example you will get a division the size of the text area. Replace the image of the text that Fireworks exports with the actual text.

Cheers

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

none of the links work

I clicked on some of the links in light blue under the dolphins but they all went nowhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the logo is very good, but I'd try and get away from the aqua look buttons. Really yucky. Also the text looks messed up on my PC, but its probably my fault.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for everyones' input, going to try and change some things.