SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please review my site at http://www.overclockedhardware.com

LMK about: load time, aesthetics, broken links, broken images, color scheme, anything that is hard to read, and your personal opinion on the site.

Problems I am aware of: the forums link does not work. I know. the forums do not exist yet. I am thinking of getting UBB for them. does anyone know of a better script?
    Also, someone said that the date and time of the news postings was hard to read. I am thinking of changing it so that the headline and date, etc. have a different background color. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site!
    http://www.overclockedhardware.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks for all the work you have done on the forum. It is member participation that makes it work!

The color of the menu items is not quite right for the bgcolor

The Affiliates: is in a different font than the other items in the right.

The 2Cool Tek banner seems out of place.

Center the yep.com banner inside the blue area.

The font and size of the Welcome to Overclocked needs to be a bit larger font.

The guides page comes only to the middle of the page.

Provide a bit more space between the photo and the label. What I am saying here is that the rest of the page has a lot of space and the Label is jamming the photo.

The review page is the same.

Links only goes 3/4 of the way.

Contact page goes about 7/8 of the way across the top.

Summary

No BIG problem. The difficulties that I mention are easy to correct.

The only problem with the coding is the lack of the use of alt= and that is easy.

You have done a really good job on this page. the review goes on a bit but that is because I like to identify where the problem is. Cuts down the looking.

A suggestion about the menu font color.
    Could you use the lighter blue bg. That would give enough contrast between the menu bg and the black bg.

Thanks for letting me dig a bit.

There will be other reviews and other items will be mentioned.

Good luck with the site.

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I visited your website the first thing I saw was the menu.The colors used in the menu are not doing well for the backgroundcolor.I mean the little menu with the black background.The second thing but you already said that, is that the forum is not working and I suggest you should:1) Take that link out of the menu, or2) Fix it asap.The third thing is the button of 2CoolTek, it is a bit out of place like edshuck said also, so put it somewhere else or decrease it's width a little.At the mainpage, where the newsstuff is listed at, I see next to the title the date it was posted at.The color you used for this is to light.I suggest you use a different color for that one.I hope this clears up a little for you and I wish you all the good luck with your website !regards
    Webmaster of Skinsworld.net
    webmaster@skinsworld.net
    www.skinsworld.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, skin, I know about the forum link and the date color... as for the button, I guess I'll shrink the size down.This is really the first good-sized site that I have done entirely in notepad...

<<The color of the menu items is not quite right for the bgcolor>>

...Can you explain? I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

<<The Affiliates: is in a different font than the other items in the right.>>

Okay, I will fix the font on it...

<<The 2Cool Tek banner seems out of place.>>

I'll shrink it down, then...

<<Center the yep.com banner inside the blue area.>>

I think that the button for the counter *is* centered... but the blue part is not... which is also why I have the 2cooltek logo sticking out on both sides...

<<The font and size of the Welcome to Overclocked needs to be a bit larger font.>>

You mean I should change that part on all of the pages? or just the main one?

<<The guides page comes only to the middle of the page.Provide a bit more space between the photo and the label. What I am saying here is that the rest of the page has a lot of space and the Label is jamming the photo. The review page is the same. Links only goes 3/4 of the way. Contact page goes about 7/8 of the way across the top.>>

Hmm... what would be the easiest way to fix this? I know it is hard making things work for everyone at different resolutions, so right now the table only extends as far as it needs to to fit the content of the page... which is why some pages have varying widths... If I set a pixel size for that particular <td > tag it might be too short for those with larger resolutions, or too long for those with smaller resolutions... if I made it a percentage I would run into the same problem still... any ideas? I was planning on putting something in there, like links to the latest articles... but that still might not solve my problem... because the table still might not go all the way across the page... hmm...

<<Summary No BIG problem. The difficulties that I mention are easy to correct. The only problem with the coding is the lack of the use of alt= and that is easy.>>

I thought I used these on almost all of the graphics... whatever program you ran it through must be picky...

<<A suggestion about the menu font color. Could you use the lighter blue bg. That would give enough contrast between the menu bg and the black bg.>>

Are you talking about the hover element of the links?

Thanks for takin the time to review my site!

PS: Do you think I should change the left and top bars so they curve into one bar? I was told it looks "trashy"......
    Last edited by eyOr; Feb 11, 2001 at 15:13.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I made the changes based on your corrections... the corrected site can now be found athttp://www.overclockedhardware.com/index.htmlLMK what you think...Couple o' things:I changed all of the page names endings to ".html" instead of ".shtml"... is there any easy way to make the .shtml ones redirect to the .html ones? because there are links scattered around that lead to the .shtml pages...How do I make it so that the top bar stretches to the entire page exactly, even if the text on the page does not? IE, in the reviews section, if you maximize the browser, the top bar only goes halfway across... any ideas?Also, what is the code to redirect my old site, before I got the domain, to the new site?Thanks! Reviews of the revised version would be appreciated!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me how to redirect the old page to the new one?also, why doesnt the formatting come out right in these messages?and, can a netscape user review my site?

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that your "menu" area is a bit distracting to the eye. Blue and Black just don't mix... I did like the mouseover color.The font you use on your "news" page is a bit difficult to read. I think that it is too large and try something other than Arial.Other than those two, the site was fairly clean and loaded very quickly!
    GOOD LUCK!!

Jason Therrien
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    "A small business resource for news and answers to your Internet queries."
    Last edited by Jason_Therrien; Feb 15, 2001 at 09:20.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with all of them on the menu. Dark blue link on black background just doesn't work. The aim of having a navigation bar is to show users where to go on your website. It wouldn't help them if they can't see the links clearly. I suggest a lighter link color for the menu, either via css/image mouseover.On the Guides page, making the images in the same sizes would make it look much better.Other than that it works just fine. And loads pretty fast too.
    DarkStation - No-nonsense Console Gaming Coverage.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Netscape 4.5, so here is what I see.First I like the design of your top and side bar, and I like the colors. I see someone mentioned mouseover colors on your links, so I wanted to let you know there are no mouseovers working in my browser.Also, Your News page and Contact page are ok, however the others are all out of whack. The side bar and top bar are all broken up and out of line.dlee

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dlee: there is no rollover for you because your browser prolly doesn't support css.Can you explain about the pages that are "out of whack"? what seems to be causing this? lmk... thanks

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick comments on the visuals. As was already mentioned that dark blue on black for the links is to much. For some people that may be almost impossible to see.I hate to flat out say I dont like something but your logo is awful, the only reason I say this is because the rest of your site is great. Its clean, sharp and nicely done and the logo just detracts from the nice look you have. It looks like a very badly done transparent gif.A whole new logo would just add so much.As always just IMHO.Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Can you explain about the pages that are "out of whack"?" eyOr, I can email you a screen shot of what I see if you would like. Maybe than you could figure out better why it is doing that.dlee

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would help... my email is in my profile. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the blue links on the black background hurt my eyes.there is to much space between your logos on the top. take one of them out, and put a banner for something in your site there. i dont like how the links have a black background when you mouse over them. that looks bad. the articles are very informative.instaed of naming it http://www.overclockedhardware.com/guides/guides.html name it http://www.overclockedhardware.com/guides/index.html and just link to http://www.overclockedhardware.com/guides same thing for reviews.there is alot of space on your web site, sometimes it is good. but for information sites it is bad. rethink the layout and move things around.
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It loads pretty fast.Fonts: the default font looks pretty bad. Try changing it to verdana or arial at size "2".The Overclocked Hardware logo looks out of the site. You should change its font and put him in the all cell, at a larger size.Load time: pretty fast on my dial-up connection.About the <hr> tags. They are ugly in Netscape, at least that's what I think. Try changing them with tables, set their height to '1', and put a transparent 1 x 1 gif in them, and choose a bgcolor that you like.Best regards,David.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few suggestions. I apologise if some of this has already been said.

The headings "Web news" and "latest articles" should be bold, and dark blue in colour (not too light or they may look like links themselves).

The 'W' in the logo has a jagged left edge.

There is an awful lot of content on your front page for just one page. You may want to put the top stories on the front and offer links to older news on separate pages.

You should create a short description or tagline for your site such as "Advice and resources for overclockers" and place it right under the logo and above the menu options. Readers need to know what the website is about before reading content.

The text "Welcome to Overclocked Hardware" should be made BOLD and might be appended with the text "The place for overclocking news, guides and reviews".

The black background on the menu looks a bit odd.

You should include links at the bottom of the page, so that as soon as readers finish browsing your contents they have somewhere else to go within your site.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff