SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i would like to welcome myself to this forum , iam a complete and utter virgin to web sites and web design i have very little knowledge of all aspects of it .So i would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction on some points:
    1 i currently have dreamweaver 3 on my pc is this a good starting point for making sites?
    2 do i really need to learn all about html dhtml xhtml php css php asp etc..... and if so where should i start
    thats it for now apart from i bought myself some books which may help me on which was quit pricey are they a waste of time or not(books i got are :teach yourself html4 in 21 days ,dummies guie to dreamweavewr 3 also the html4 bible
    i would like to say thanks in advance for your comments on this post
    let me have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to SitePoint's Community Forums!

Originally posted by rascal
    hi i would like to welcome myself to this forum , iam a complete and utter virgin to web
    I've never heard that expression before.

I am sure Dreamweaver is a good starting point to build web sites with. There are many others like Frontpage - it all depends on preference.

Don't try to learn everything at once. Start off with the basics of HTML, and then advance to JavaScripts, CSS, and later PHP and MySQL. Progress in steps, be patient, because this stuff is not learned over night. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I advise this order (roughly)...

- HTML (don't even think about doing anything else first!)
    - JavaScript and/or CSS
    - Either ASP or PHP (PHP is my choice, but ASP is less likely to confuse you)
    - Database backends - MySQL, MS SQL Server, Access, etc.

HTML is totally core - everything else will pretty much require a general knowledge of HTML and the 'Net.

Like Marc said: this is going to take quite awhile. You will likely find that you can learn the basic code and syntax of things through tutorials and books, but the way to become advanced in any one of them is go out and write a script/program/whatever, and fix problems as you go.

Good luck! Don't be overwhelmed! Feel free to ask questions - people here are incredibly eager to please. It has gotten to the point where people almost "race" to be the first to answer someone's question. :0

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rascal Welcome to SitePoint Forums!

Originally posted by rascal
    1 i currently have dreamweaver 3 on my pc is this a good starting point for making sites?

Sure! DreamWeaver is one of the best HTML code editors available.

2 do i really need to learn all about html dhtml xhtml php css php asp etc.....

It depends on what kind of site you're making. A simple static "brochure" type page would only require HTML. If you're looking to dabble in technology a bit, then DHTML and CSS can augment your pages with some nice eye candy. If you want to build a dynamic, database-driven site, then PHP and ASP (either one) are what you should be learning. Don't take on too much at once though. If you have any questions, we'd be glad to help! Just ask us anything you need to know about web design and development!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome,

I also started out knowing nothing about web site or web design, Now into it for about 3 years now and still don't know everything. One thing I can say and many people may agree with me. This is one of the funest things I've ever done it's better them any computer game I've ever played and it just keeps getting better. Here are some tips I'll offer you. I'm now 19 years old and still never cracked a book on web site design or anyting like that the best teacher is yourself just get a good web site design program and go at it you'll see it's not that hard over the years I've learned many new things some things I know are really hard to learn but I'm sure there are other things that are reallty easy to do that I not know how. Any way after years of pratice and hands on learning I'm now the webmaster for many great sites and still have never went to school (although I plan to) for web design. HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info so far, i have already started to learn the basics of html which is fairly easy to understand but what iam really confused over is the amount of standards there are for instance: html 4 html 3 etc also javascript 3,2, etc etc i assume the newer version of html and javascript are the higher numbers but... i have heard about browser compatibility so do i need to learn the lower levels of html and java etc to fit in with older browsers, dam i think i just opened another can of worms here

Sorry but i have like a million questions to ask but ill ask only a few at a time but here is 1 more i have looked around at some sites on these pages and just browsing on the web i have a great idea on how i would like it to look but i cant for the life of me figure how to do it i use fireworks 3 for graphics buttons etc but it seem kinda limited and i cant do what i want so whats a good graphics package i can use for making a really good title picture and set of buttons
    let me have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rascal - read some tutorials at www.htmlgoodies.com - it is an excellent HTML tutorial site.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as a graphics program goes, by far the best is Adobe Photoshop at www.adobe.com . It's quite expensive, but if you want top-notch graphics, its the best program to have. There's also Paint Shop Pro at www.jasc.com which costs considerably less and does most everything you want it to for web graphics. Both of these programs have a 30 day trial, so you can download them both and find one that suits you best! Good luck
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sparkie on both counts, but I actually think that if you learn to use Paint SHop Pro well enough it can more than serve your needs! Don't forget too that if you are enrolled on any course you might qualify for student discount! I got Office 2000 for only 12 (academic license).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm...most interesting.
    I'm probably at about the same point as Rascal in learning to build a Website. I've also just got started with 'HTML4 in 24 hours' and after completing the chapter on indented lists, I must say I'm beginning to wonder if I mightn't be better off using a WYSIWYG program like Dreamweaver, Frontpage etc etc.

My rationale is this: After 6 years or so, I'm very familiar with MS Word, in fact I write for a living. And it suddenly occurred to me while I was studying my How-To-Do-It book, that if we had to insert HTML-type coding to use Word, nobody would ever get any writing done.

And that made me wonder if maybe the trend is for HTML authoring programs to become increasingly user friendly, perhaps ultimately to the point where no manual coding is neccessary.

I'm sure it's very good training to understand the basics of how web pages are created, but wouldn't it better, and faster, if all we had to do was drag and drop, point and click etc?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think that if you want to learn it fast, and get a good foundation I would take a class for a month at the university or college of your choice. Now I know not a lot of people have 400-600 to throw away but if you want to get a good foundation a class would be the best way to go.

And Like what other people have said. HTML is the basic underlay of all web content out there. So I would take a class with HTML basics and or beginners DHTML to get an understanding of java script and html together. With the basic understanding of HTML and Javascript, you are on your way.

But after all of what I said the best teacher is yourself, so practice and ask lots of questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they used to have a nifty downloadable tutorial, but it seems to have gone the way of a paid option now, which is too bad. There are still on-line tutorials, just that I found it really nice to be off-line and be able to view it.

http://www.pagetutor.com/

EDIT: Slight update in case anyone is interested in these tutorials. If you search the web for webtutor.exe you will find the tutorial posted many places. One of which is here:

http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ucia/Software

Is chicken giving you warez links? Nope. From the webtutor read me:

==========================================
    Professional Web Design
    HTML Authoring Tutorials v3.0
    ==========================================
    DESCRIPTION: Easy to use web page authoring tutorials covering basic and advanced web page design. The tutorials are in HTML format so you can go through them with your web browser. If you've never created a web page before, the basic tutorial will guide you gently though basics of HTML. And, if you know the basics, the advanced tutorials will show you how to add additional features to your page.

<snip>

THESE TUTORIALS ARE FREEWARE. They are not copyrighted. You may use and/or distribute them to your hearts content.
    If you wish to post them on your public or private server, you can.
    If you wish to translate them into another language, you can.
    If you are a teacher and you want to use them for teaching purposes, you can.
    If you want to include them on a CD with other Internet programs, you can.
    If, for some lame reason, you copy them verbatim and call them your own, I will have no choice but to tell mom, and boy will you be in trouble!

<snip>

Have fun & good luck!

Joe Barta
    jbarta@apk.net
    Professional Web Design
    http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/

Chicken's Note: website has changed to http://www.pagetutor.com
    Last edited by Chicken; Feb 13, 2001 at 10:04.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actuallly, what happens after you've been working on web pages for a while is that when you're using Word you get frustrated because you can't edit the source code. Or is that just me?
    I use Dreamweaver 3 and 4. I love them both. If I had to try to do pages with them without knowing HTML I think I'd lose my mind. You don't have to write in every tag once you learn them. Even most of the good text based editors will do that for you. But you want to make the decisions about how the code is created. It's not like Word in that a web site is not printed out on paper. It has to work in a variety of environments, so it's very hard for any software to make all the right calls for you.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rascal,

Concerning your problems with Fireworks try the following links:

http://www.playingwithfire.com/
    http://www.projectfireworks.com/
    http://www.escogitando.it/

Project Fireworks has got a lot of commands that you can use in Fireworks that make life simpler. If you have a problem that you can't find the answer for try the MM Fireworks newsgroup.

As regards to html editors stick with Dreamweaver and you'll invariably pick up html/js/css along the way and get less frustrated than if you start out trying to hand code html.

Shane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eeek !!!!
    so much info so little time this is not good
    i would like to thank you all so far for posting replies i never thought i would get so much help from people i dont know !
    if you are ever in england near me i will buy you a beer
    keep up the good work fellas (and girls ) and thanks again especially for the links
    let me have it

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rascal, where in the Uk are you? You never know, someone might take you up on that offer!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nicky iam from yorkshire small town near leeds
    let me have it

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rascal, say g'day to Dickie Bird.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure freakysid if i see him i will tell him what you said,
    Anyway iam having a little problem at the mo trying to make a transparent gif in fireworks 4 i made my logo in png format then exported in gif format but when i put it on my page it has a white backround does anyone know how to figure this out(iam using dreamweaver 4)
    cheers
    let me have it

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rascal,

When you export the image as a gif you should get the Export Preview Window. In the colour palette click on the colour you want to be tranparent then click on the small checkered icon below the colour palette and the colour should be removed in the image preview window.

Shane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane THANKYOU!!!!!
    You are my hero that worked and it was so easy to do thanks man
    let me have it