SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: GIF and PNG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I came across an interesting article today http://evolt.org/article/Are_you_goi...552/index.html

It discuses usnisys's plan to charge for the LWZ compresion that gifs use.

What ever happend to that... have they started charging?

And what is everyones opinion on PNG's? I know there are great compatability issues, but what are the real pros/cons here. Is there a future for PNG's?

I use Photoshop and when "Saving for web" I have played around with and image the when optimized to about 7k and enlarged it so I coude clearly see the pixels, I could not see any differnce at all when using PNG-8 and the size was basicaly the same, although PNG-24 produced the best out of the lot with the down side of increasing the size nearly 4 fold.

Any experiences, frustrations, in-compatbilities ro just general opinions would be great.
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still not used to png, I play with the all the time for design purposes, but always export in gif format. Now that unisys has changed their policies and we don't have support for gif in libraries like gd anymore I am starting to consider png format.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was actually just a discussion about PNGs in this forum: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=16225

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the official png website says that photoshop does support the png format but its compression algarithms for it suck. fireworks would be a better program to use for compressing png.