SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

For some reasons the server doesn't like compiling multiple levels of php include with Netscape...it works fine in IE and when you load the page in Netscape it either simply hang there, stop responding or take forever to display the page.

Bear in mind that I ain't a php guru so there might be some weird wordings in my last sentence hehe so let me explain a bit the situation.

I have a template page in php that has an include, which points to a simple text file that has itself 2 separate include. Why I have it that way is because I have a guests gallery and I want to be able to easily update any pages of the site without redoing the design everytime so that way the layout is always the same no matter what the main section contains.

Have a look at the famous buggy page in NS and you will see whatI mean...and have a look at it in IE and it loads fast AND quick!

http://www.thealphachannel.com/images_test.php

Cheers!
    CG Focus

Focusing On CG Graphics.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just killed my Mac - you b*stard!

Well, firstly, the problem is not to do with PHP. I was perplexed by your post because the browser (whether it be IE or NS) never gets to see the php script. It only gets to see the results of the php script which is (or should be) just plain 'ol html.

So, the problem must lie in the HTML that is returned from your script(s).

Secondly, although I am no html guru - I too would have a fit if I was a browser and tried to parse your html. From your browser, look at the source code that is actually sent to the browser. I would count how many nested tables you have but I don't have enough fingers and toes Talk about Russian Dolls! Also, I don't know if you have correctly provided a closing table tag </table> that matches each opening tag <table>. But if you don't then that could cause NS to hang. Or it could just be the sheer weight of nested tables that brings NS to a grinding recursive halt!

Good luck.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe...yeah I just found one table that was unnecessary...will look for others but the overall look will have a lot of nested tables, it is the look I want.

*[Update]*: I removed one table and I have a test page to see why these tables are needed

http://www.thealphachannel.com/test.php

This page works great in NS so I will slowly restore this code in the template page and check if another table lurks around in there hehe.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Flywaver; Feb 9, 2001 at 11:20.
    CG Focus

Focusing On CG Graphics.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flywaver

as freakysid pointed out, You have way too many nested tables, Netscape can't handle that many like IE can, and

will look for others but the overall look will have a lot of nested tables, it is the look I want.
    I looked at your page layout and there certianly better alternatives to achieve the same look without using that many nested tables.

A not about php includes. I have set forth a standard upon my self to never have any include statements within included files, any more than one deep can make unnecesary stress on your system. Just food for thought.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks for the tip...I removed 2 tables in the design and will make only one level of include.

Thing is I copy/pasted from one page to another and ended up with too much tables...but I will still have at least 5 levels of table for the whole page which is quite normal for a precise layout.

Cheers!
    CG Focus

Focusing On CG Graphics.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you can do is split up your navbar from the rest of the page, it will take another ensted table out and it will make the page load way faster
    So have one table that holds that upper portion with your top links, then end the table and start another table for the rest.
    but I will still have at least 5 levels of table for the whole page which is quite normal for a precise layout
    Sorry this is just not true. http://www.solutionsenabler.com

There is precise layout, but there is never more than one nested tbale at any time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm...my navbar on the site is not in the HTML pages but in an include and it has only one table.

For the rest, in the main section, how do you put multiple tables within a section with only one?

Cheers!
    CG Focus

Focusing On CG Graphics.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was referring to your top nav bar consider this its only pseudo code but you should get the idea

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>Top navigation here</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

<table>
    <tr>
    <td width="150">
    Side nav bar table here
    </td>
    <td>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    Main content cell 1
    </td>
    <td>
    Main content cell 2
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    Main content cell 3
    </td>
    <td>
    Main content cell 4
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Using some spacer gifs and some imagination you can make it work with just that level of nesting

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I get your point but if there is a miracle recipe to achieve this result with less tables then by all means I'd do it!

http://www.thealphachannel.com/images_test2.php

[ahem...check in IE hehe].

Cheers!

p.s. do you have ICQ? It would be loads faster and wouldn't grab the Forum's bandwith.
    CG Focus

Focusing On CG Graphics.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I have AIM
    uname: LouieSimps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

This has a 5 level of nested tables and that is, as freddy says, way too many.

But there is hope.

Drinky posted this over in Website Reviews about a week or so ago.
    Heres an article on netscape 6 breaking table layouts:
    http://evolt.org/article/Does_Netsc...4427/index.html
    peace