SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript problem on Macs

Hi all,

hoping for some help on those of you that use macs or know the answer to this problem!

I have a page that works perfectly on IE6, Netscape and Opera on the PC.
    However its not working properly on IE5 on Mac OS x.

Basically I'm using javascript to create two scrolling columns on the page. The columns should scroll up and down when you hover over the little arrows underneath the columns. On the mac its not scrolling and the content in the right column seems messed up.

You can view the page at: http://test.jdartstudios.com
    You can view source to check out the JS.

I have also attached an image showing how it renders on IE6 on the pc so you know how it should look.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thank you !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone?

has anyone viewed this yet? how does the scroll work for you on a mac?

thank you!
    Fast Fwd Multimedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I strongly advise against using that effect. It single handedly destroys the usability of the site. I timed it; it took 45 seconds of hovering my mouse over the tiny little down arrow for the design spotlight window to scroll from the top down to the bottom. That's just unacceptable - NO ONE is going to wait that long unless theyr'e timing it to provide ammunition for a rant on a forum!

Additional problems:
    • My scroll wheel doesn't work.
    • The buttons act differently from normal scroll buttons - normal ones activate when clicked, but the javascript buttons activate when hovered over.
    • Accessibility: have you seen what happens when you view the site with Javascript turned off?
    • More accessibility: as far as I can tell, there's no way of activating the scroll using only the keyboard.

I've discussed this with people before, and they almost always ignore my advice - but I honestly believe that javascript faked scrolling is one of the worst abuses of Javascript on the web today. It's pure image-over-everything-else - it looks good, but it has a massive negative effect on the overall user experience. I have never seen it implemented in a way that doesn't fundamentally suck. If you really must hide a section of content in a small scrollable window like that you should either use an iframe or use a div with "overflow: auto" applied to it. Of course, both of those will introduce browser-standard scrollbars which may offend your designer sensibilities.

At the end of the day, web users know how to scroll. I've never understood this fascination with keeping the whole web page within the viewable area of the browser window.

OK - I really am sorry for the rant, but that effect is my personal nemesis.

As for your IE 5 / Mac problem (assuming you ignore all of the above), it seems that the script you are using was designed for IE/Windows, NS4 and NS6+. It uses relatively flakey browser detection which only takes those three browsers in to account, so it's not really surprising it doesn't work on browsers that it wasn't designed to work with. I would suggest digging around for an alternative script that doesn't have bult in browser limitations. I haven't seen one myself, but as you may have guessed I've never really looked for one

A final aside: the site design itself is beautiful. My grudge is against the Javascript.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input skunk. Appreciate your views.

Actually I felt that given the nature of the site, the "look" was the most important. I don't think that usability is too badly affected given the target market and considering that there is not actually much information in the scroll windows - they're really there just as highlights of other content in the website. I realise that we're treading on a fine line of usability here but i think the aesthetics of it, in this case, outweigh any other issues...
    But thanks again for your opinions
    Fast Fwd Multimedia

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have that platform available here at the moment; see if this helps.

I'd ditch that script altogether; its NS4 support dates it. IE5+/mac CSS is pretty sophisticated. Might try this.

Beautiful effort. You have a lovely sense of design & color.

Thought about Flash?

http://www.wildbrain.com/
    http://www.mondomedia.com/
    http://www.flinch.com/
    ::: certified wild guess :::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the suggestion of http://youngpup.net/2001/ypsimplescroll - it's far more likely to fulfill your cross-browser needs as it's just a better written script.

Someday I'll convince someone not to use one of these things!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works fine in Omniweb 5 on a Mac. Mebbe it's just an IE bug.

Amorya
    KickRSS - free web-based RSS aggregator.