SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lancaster, Ca. USA
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aes
    We have a good discussion going, it think it's stupid to close or redirect it. This is general chat. Just my opinion of course. No one ever listens to that anyway.
    Then change the title.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------


  2. #27
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lancaster, Ca. USA
    Posts
    12,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micmol
    However, a "desperate, radical, extremist element ( hence the "terriorist quote" ) do not. Their actions have no other motive than to hijack traffic for personal benefit & gain. They have no concerns who is veiwing what is on the sreeen.
    Do you have proof of this? I have never had a session hijacked and been redirected to porn. I don't see it in my email box and I do not run any kind of anti-spam software. In fact, there hasn't been any porn on my screen at all. My children are not exposed to it on my computers. Though I do use Parental Controls on their PC, MSN emails me a daily log of every site they visit, every email they receive and every person they IM. They cannot send email or IM anyone without my approval either, their system simply doesn't allow it.

    If the problem was a severe as you say, I would have experienced it at least once in the last 10 years of spending 10+ hours per day on the Internet. Now, I do get spam, have seen many unwanted popups and dealt with Spyware.

    I think you should evaluate the websites you are visiting if this is an extreme problem for you because either you are not visiting the moralistic sites that you say you are or you have serious spyware and adware problems on your machine.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------


  3. #28
    Ceci n'est pas Zoef Zoef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micmol
    They are the "terrorists of the internet".
    That remark disrespects the victims of real terrorism.

    These days any git that wants to draw attention to his or her petty cause shouts terrorism.

    Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

  4. #29
    Single Again KestonE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am suprised this thread still did not get closed.
    Keston.E: The greatest things in life are the things we love.
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
    Cheers to new beginnings | Keep ya head up

  5. #30
    Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Before These Crowded Streets
    Posts
    9,446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread is not going to be closed because I disagree with Wayne. It is not a po0litical thread. If it does get closed it will only be due to the fact that no one seems to be able to peaceably disagree.

    Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor



  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Maine USA
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because the premise of the original post and thread title offends some folks, doesn't mean it should be closed. It is in no way political nor religious in nature. It has been a reasonable discussion except for the posts to close the thread.

    I do, however, agree that the uses of the words extremists, terrorists, etc. are uncalled for and very disrespectful to victims of true terrorism. I also believe that there is a general confusion on technically what is traffic hijacking.

    In regards to porn spam etc. as an individual who has been responsible for corporate anti-spam efforts I will say that there are spammers out there who disseminate very offensive, explicit and at times repulsive pornographic spam. I came to the conclusion that often times the spam was designed to shock the recipient to trick them into complaining about the spam and thus give up their email address or help the spammer confirm the email address was legit. This repulsive spam often times did lead to pornographic websites.

    So while the overall original premise is overblown and misuses the shock phrase of the day, there are some reasonable grounds for complaint.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

  7. #32
    Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoef
    That remark disrespects the victims of real terrorism.

    These days any git that wants to draw attention to his or her petty cause shouts terrorism.

    Rik
    Exactly, and while spam is annoying, its hardly terrifying.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

    - Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

  8. #33
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also completely ludicrous to call spam terrorism from a language perspective.

    M-W entry for terrorism:
    violence (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands
    I.e. very clearly done for political reasons. Spam is a petty crime done for profit reasons only. I've NEVER recieved a political piece of spam.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  9. #34
    SitePoint Evangelist micmol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah .. some people just dont get it.

    We have come to a point where people too often treat one another as objects and opportunities.

    petty cause


    However, arrogance seems to rule the world these days.

    What one person may consider "petty" some find as the complete opposite. But why should they care its only a "petty cause" to them. Simple answer ... imply they are stupid and their "cause" is foolish and without basis.

    My terminogly was merely a metaphor, a figure of speech. More in relation to their "hijacking activities". Its so dam obvious its a metaphor " .... ".

    In regards to porn spam etc. as an individual who has been responsible for corporate anti-spam efforts I will say that there are spammers out there who disseminate very offensive, explicit and at times repulsive pornographic spam. I came to the conclusion that often times the spam was designed to shock the recipient to trick them into complaining about the spam and thus give up their email address or help the spammer confirm the email address was legit. This repulsive spam often times did lead to pornographic websites.
    This is exactly my point ... sorry for being a " little over the top". However, sadly these days some people are so laid back you have to shock them to get your point across. They have a "if it doesn't happen to me mentality" then ... sorry but its just not happening.

    Plus they are not only "offensive, explicit and at times repulsive" .. they have a arrogant,devious & irresponsible attitude to who is viewing the screen.

    Regards

    micmol


  10. #35
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake in my first post was to omit the term "most" ... not all porn sites.
    You are still wrong. Why on earth would most porn sites be spammers and/or resort to shady business tactics? That makes no sense. You should provide evidence when you make such a statement. Sure, I get lot of porn spam. But I also get a tremendous amount of spam about loan/financing/credits. Does that mean most loan-givers resort to criminal tactics?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  11. #36
    Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Why on earth would most porn sites be spammers and/or resort to shady business tactics? That makes no sense.

    I get lot of porn spam.
    Arnt you contradicting yourself?
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

    - Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

  12. #37
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of porn spam is sent by people trying to ride the coattails of successful porn sites. They sign up for affiliate programs then send spam to promote them. The actual sites don't send spam. They don't need to. They're making plenty of money as is and don't want the grief of being declared spammers.

  13. #38
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    Arnt you contradicting yourself?
    Nope.
    I get a lot of porn spam, but that does not mean that MOST porn sites spam. It only means that a lot of spam is related to porn. Most banks don't spam. Strangely enough, I get a lot of loan spam.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  14. #39
    Drop em if you got em
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porn's just an easy target when addressing spam. People use words like "moral" or "ethical" and they just know they can target spam easier than a mortgage site, loan site, etc., even if you get more spam from non-porn.

    If you want to attack spam, attack spam. If you want to attack porn, attack porn, but don't try and mesh the two as though porn's the only industry (or even the leading industry) in spam.

  15. #40
    ********* Genius Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,458
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •