SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash <-> server communication

I don't know much about Flash but I need to judge its appropriatness for a future project. In particular, I am interested in its app <-> server communcation abilities.

There are two cases that I can think of:

1) Can a Flash app running in a browser periodically retrieve updated data from a Web server?

2) Can a Web server periodically send updated data to a Flash app running in a browser? For that matter, can the server even keep track of which users still have the Flash app running in their browsers (assuming the app was downloaded from the same server)?

I found Macromedia Flash Remoting MX. Is that what I need? It looks promissing but it's very expensive (1000 USD) and only runs on a Windows box. Are there any alternatives?

Thank you very much for your help!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash can easily get updated data without extra software.
    When it comes to sending data to flash, it sorta depends exactly what you need to do. Flash MX 2004 Pro has a number of new data components build in such as XML-Sockets which help in real-time communication.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash 5+ has XmlSocket support. Its the only way to detect whether a client is still connected over a socket and to pipe data to it.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.