SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kempt Design ~ Please Review

I just have devloped my web designing site and hope that you will review it. It's called KemptDesign. The content isn't yet completed but the design is.

Please be as harsh as possible. Is it usable? accessible? standards-complaint? Are there coding problems? Sections I should include? Suggestions? comments? problems? you know the drill...
    Kempt - Few things in life are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your site looks good. I like clean layouts. "Simple IS better."

A few notes:

Your site seems to be having some problems in Mac OS X - IE 5.2.3. Your "rightbar" div isn't falling into the right column - it's being bumped completely out of your layout and underneath your KemptDesign "logo" div. Damn those browser quirks fighting your XHTML and CSS validation!

Is the banding/clipping in the "bglogo.gif" orange logo's gradient intentional? It looks like a GIF with a color table that is too small - you lost some of the gradient. Would a JPG be better to perserve the gradient?

Your main KeptDesign logo seems to be competing in size, color and location with your "Welcome" headline. They run together as a sentence rather than being separate. Moving/changing the logo may address this problem.

You have several spelling errors such as "intail".

Anyway, those are minor issues and will probably be easy to flx. Will you be keeping those "Customers' Comments" quotes?
    -jca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the overall look of your site. As has been noted earlier, there are some spelling issues but you're probably already aware of them.

I have some suggestions regarding the accessibility of the contact form. The black on orange is not really a good contrast. Black text on a white background would be optimal contrast.

Also, it would be better to use the <label> tag to markup your form input's labels. If you do so, you can loose the special div around each label, reducing the amount of markup and increasing the accessibility of it.

Another small thing I just noticed is that you're using straight quotes instead of the correct ones. For instance, use #8220; for an opening quote. Actually, now that I think of it, you might as well use <quote> tags for the quotes!

Good luck on your new business!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your website. I think the orange image is a little grainy but otherwise it's good.

Good job

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall site looks nice but I noticed some problems.

1) On the "featured work" bar the name of the work and the image seem to be overlapping, or almost overlapping. Add some space.
    2) Those custoemr comments seem a little....odd, maybe add some of the more professioanl sounding ones? It doesnt really matter, just a suggestion.

Thats about it, overall you did a nice job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OSX 10.3 Safari 1.2

Site looks good.

I like:
    1. Simplicity of the design.
    2. Easy to follow layout.
    3. Colors.

Things that need improvement:
    1. That orange image on the left really draws my eye away from the rest of the page.
    2. Your layout is probably going to inhibit your ability to have a lot of content in that center box. For instance, if your portfolio section becomes very large, you're not going to have much space to display everything.
    3. I'm not to sure that the CSS rollover effect your've got on the links (with changing the background color and text color) really looks all that professional.
    4. You've got a typo! intail should be entail.

Overall it looks nice, I wonder how scaleable it is, and if those rollovers work, but all in all nice work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most everything's been covered in the reviews above so I'll just give some general impressions.

1. I love simple, clean designs and appreciate the coding.

2. The content is sparse and as noted, if it expands the design might be too cramped. Even now, the FAQ page links look a little too close together.

3. The 'review comments' on every page are a bit much. Sure, put them somewhere but maybe only once. If your work is good, it will sell itself. Don't turn it into an ego trip.

4. The rollover effect on the links is a little heavy for such a 'light' site. Would look better if the block covered a uniforn rectangular areas rather than just behind the text. FWIW, I ran into this problem myself and was never totally satisfied with the result as it always seemed too cramped.

5. The comma between the validation links looks odd. Maybe try a pipe instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking all above into consideration, one comment on earther's post.

Customer comments on each page is actually not a bad thing, but make be just one to a page and maybe as a call out so they stand out a little more(once of course you have real comments to put in there!)

I would also suggest you revisit your content. While we as designers are concerned with compliant code our clients are not. I have yet to have a client ask for their site to be compliant. They want to know what you can do for them. Can you get my message across? Can you help sell my product? Can you make my site look good? Can you make it load fast? Can you do this? Can you do that?
    Those are the types of things your customers care about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Taking all above into consideration, one comment on earther's post.

Customer comments on each page is actually not a bad thing, but make be just one to a page and maybe as a call out so they stand out a little more(once of course you have real comments to put in there!).
    Maybe just one to a page with a different one on each page (and no repeats) would be OK. Just all three on every page didn't sit well with me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks pretty good. Nice clean design, enough content and not to much. I also like the colors

One think I might suggest is to do some free work for charitable groups or people you know to get a nice size portfolio built up. This will give visitors a good feeling that you've mayb been around longer, and they know more of how well you can work. Also getting those who you work for to give testimonials is a good thing to add as well

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viewed with Firefox 0.8 under Linux at 1024x768.

The layout is nice. Black text on white is easy on old eyes. It's amazing how many people decide to go with crappy text colors nowadays so don't change that please . My only complaint is the customer comments. Even if you were god's gift to web design don't print "Andrew Day is the most amazing web designer ever!" People will think you are full of it and just leave.

I'd suggest a darker color for your top menu, either black or the orange color you use for your headings.

A good start.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout really does fit the theme of your site: simple and clean. But a few things that I agree with posted above; the orange logo on the left definetely does draw my attention. Possibly lower the opacity and/or fill on that one, or just change the color altogether. An I also think that you should change the links from being highlighted in a grey highlight to be highlighted orange, or change to an orange colored text. It would match much better with the whole "orange-feel" That's 'bout it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I like it. I particularly like the grainy orange. Just so you know you are not the only one
    Sean Ho
    W3 Compliant Sites
    w3csites.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It look pretty. I like personally like simple sites better. I think it would look better if you did something alittle more with the navigation. It seems alittle too bland. Other than that it is very good in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi

As ur logo says the same go to ur website , it Simple and good .

Nice job

best of luck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple is better, yea it's great. Not sure about the logo though, i think you could change somehow? to make it more appealing in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my to do list:
    content: fix errors I knew about and make the content more customer friendly and less web designer known
    logo: pimp it out
    navigation: possible make it better probably leave the same
    Comment: get real ones...
    Cross browser: IE 5 friendly... box hack...
    build portfolio: anyone need work done? email Andrew@kempt.org. I already have one pimping blog design that wants an owner... I've decided to start out doing very cheap work to build a profile... that means cheap but good.

thanks my friends! any more suggestions are always welcome. hope this actually works as a way to pay for that new PowerBook I've been wanting ;-)... Eventually I'm going to make custom CMS but not yet. So, if you have any work you'd like done please throw it my way.... :-)...
    Kempt - Few things in life are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 , WinXP pro Sp1, 128kb/s, IE6.0 Opera7.23.

Yes in deed a simple and yet nice site. An original location of logo and header. The combination of orange and gray do not turns me on :-). Choose instead of gray somth else. I see you are not shore about the navigation issue, I'd suggest you to improve it by brighten up the links, I say the pale gray is not good for that purposes. Also u may try to add some space between links in the navigation bar.

A nice site over all. Good Luck with Improving.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site is definately different from many that i've seen, the design is nice, but personally I'm not into "simple". I like to see pages full of content, but that's definately not going to work for your type of site. Otherwise two thumbs up for the visual.
    Promote Your Site For Free:
    Go Radic Banner Exchange

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first accessed the page it showed without the CSS, and I thought "why all the nice comments" - hehe, it kicked in after 10 secs - strange huh.

Nice site, the bit that gets me is those scroll bars - when they appear they make the site look very messey - if they have to appear - customise them to look nicer with your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrewday,

Your site is neat and simple. A really good job done. I like the color combination.

People have pointed the typos so i think you know it. If possible convert the rollovers in the top menu to a darker color to provide more impact.

Another thing is the customer reviews. Instead of providing one liners on pages, you can think of making a separate page which lists the customer comments. That might have a balancing effect.

Cheers,
    Charu
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDay
    I just have devloped my web designing site and hope that you will review it. It's called KemptDesign. The content isn't yet completed but the design is.

Please be as harsh as possible. Is it usable? accessible? standards-complaint? Are there coding problems? Sections I should include? Suggestions? comments? problems? you know the drill...
    Howdy AD,

I appreciate your simple, clean approach to getting your content out there. I also like your orange graphic, very interesting to look at. I got a good laugh out of your "Customer Comments" as well. I also like the fact you include an FAQ section, as most clients don't understand (or care about) standards based design.

My only comment, is in your "About" section; I don't think its really necessary to list yourself as the only staff member, especially with a bare portfolio list. Not a big deal, but I feel your company is best served without it.

Overall, the code is clean, the content is concise, the imagery is appealing. Great job, and good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look of your site. Here are a few ideas...

• The orange below your logo. Are you going for that grainy not enough color gif look? It appears as if you are wanting to have that fade and a jpg file is the best way you're going to do this. Sometimes you can pull it off with a 256 gif but jpg usually looks the best.

• Both of your top right portfolio links error out

• You may want to consider adding a link to your portfolio on the top nav bar

• You may also want to consider adding a page where they can submit project details and request a quote from you.

I will always remember what a sales trainer taught me... "There are some that never buy because we don't ask them to"
    ChooseDaily.com - Follow on Twitter
    Top Resources for Web Designers and Developers Every Day!