SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP5 with mysql on Debian

I am looking at setting up a test server to play with PHP5 and I am wondering what experiences everyone has out there. I am installing this on a Debian server. I found a site that says they have PHP5 deb files, but I am not sure I trust them. Not to mention I know I will need to add mysql support. I have found multiple sets of instructions for setting it up on a Windows host, but not linux.

Does anyone have any walkthroughs online or places that I can give a good read on potential pitfalls and such. I have not decided on Apache 1.3 or 2, but from what I have read the problem is not all libraries are thread compat with Apache 2. If I don't use these add on libraries what does everyone think?

I am just trying to do my research before I dive in with this so any advice/experiences are helpful.

Thanks
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally havent tried PHP5 but might do on my local server tomorrow.

Im not one to use "deb" files as such, I tend to compile seperately and integrate so I know exactly what im installing.

As far as tutorials go, I tend to just read the installer which comes with each thing. Best thing to remember is that mysql is entirely seperate to apache and will run co-existently or seperately (albeit a configure option in apache).

Have fun ... is this a test server or a development server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a test server right now. I want to use it to work on a project that I am working on. I want to learn the php5 differences and test things and see how well my existing code works on php5 and how well php5 code will "backport" to php4.

The only concern I have with not using a package is that I don't have a lot of experience dealing with upgrades with things you build. For instance, right now I would build RC1, when RC2 comes out how do you go about removing the old and upgrading smoothly? It's one of the reasons I love debian.

I have not found a good set of install instructions however. I downlaoded the full html doc from php.net, but it does not include things like making sure which options you include and such. (I know I want to compile it --with mysql, but not sure if there are other switches I should be making sure I include)

Let me know how your install goes. I will see how far I can get compiling php5 rc1 tonight. I have mysql and apache set up.
    mitechie.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, ok it took me a bit of work to find all the peices. I will post all the extra stuff I had to do, but I got it up and running.

start out with this:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php
    mitechie.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Groovy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a rough tutorial on what steps I had to go through and what packages I was missing on my site:

http://www.ricksweb.info
    mitechie.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, I have never used debian and its proving an interesting read. thanks