SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our intranet, there's a need for people to download forms that are in Word & Excel. Right now, when you click on the document, it opens up in the browser which is causing some confusion for the users. Is there a way to get it to launch the application instead? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same problem. The problem is with plugins and that some people have and some don't.

The easiest way to get around it is to put your file into a .zip file and have them download and extract.

I know it is a bit of a cop out. Though because anyone can dowload and install a plugin to display the document in the browser this is the best way to make sure that they download it to their local machine.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Vman is right, we haven't found a better solution either

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who has had this problem. What kind of plug-in is required? I'm thinking I'll just give the users the option to download it.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This problem is particularly prevalent in the newest browsers, and it comes around because when you install Office it quietly installs a plug-in of sorts into the browsers which allow Word and Excel documents to be displayed inline with the browser. A bit sneaky and I haven't found a way to disable the damn thing. It also varies from user to user too.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)