SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valid XHTML & ASP code

So I design and code my site with nice valid Xhtml (transitional) code. Some pages have dynamic elements using ASP that's done by the ASP guys, and of course the pages come back and thay are no longer valid.
    So how do you go about making valid Xhtml pages that have embeded ASP code, or do I just forget it thinking that the pages are no longer HTML and are ASP so validation is no longer important?

I don't really want to anoy the ASP guys (I already slightly pissed off the marketing guy, he was using non vaild meta tags, so ruining all my good work), so simple stuff to put round the ASP sections would be the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you trying to validate a .asp file as source code? Don't do that; instead, validate the source code as generated (view source from a browser).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using the W3C's online validator, does that atempt to validate the pages 'raw' code.
    Hoe would I go about checking the 'browser rendered' code if that is the case.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using the W3C's online validator, does that atempt to validate the pages 'raw' code.
    how did you submit the page? If you uploaded the file from your system, they were working on the raw source.

The simplest way to validate the generated source would be to upload the pages onto a world-facing webserver, then enter the url of the page into the "address" box on this page: http://validator.w3.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I need to validate an ASP page, I copy the HTML source after it's been published, and just copy that into the validator.