SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, here it is.
    after about what seemed like a million years, i'm finally going live with my site. there are close to 150 people who know that the site will be live tomorrow so i have no excuse to not do it. it's still not perfect (it never will be), and if i keep waiting to get it perfect, the site will never be launched. but i feel that it is in great shape to be finally released into the wild world of the digital age and i guess i just want the blessings and critiques of the good folks at the sitepoint forums.

ideally, it would be great to know what people think about the site both technically and aesthetically. and if you remember to post connection speeds, browsers, etc ... that would be great also.

so without further delay, i present to you The Boston Creative Network.

http://www.bostoncreative.net

thanks to everyone in advance.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    56k modem pc.laptop. quick loading cause you had no flash.1.ill be honest my first opion on the first page was it looked a little bland, but after viewing your pages it fits in the design witch is quite stylalised.2.on your incial page i wasnt quite sure what i was looking at , why not have a page saying something like"welcome to the boston ......blar blar a website deisgned by a dedicated team of blar blar" as a header of something ,you'll know what the site is if you told, but if you found the site by accident it may be as clear.2. its hard to give a review really because you havnt finished the site ieortfolio ie:interview ect.3.overall though not bad.
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have any eye for aesthetics, I'd say you obviously know what looks good, however you're inconsistent. Sometimes the text heading is on top of the orange line, sometimes below, sometimes the text is centered on the page, sometimes it's not, your front news page is framed, none of the others are, etc. I suppose some of these things could just be your creative touch though. I also have a really hard time reading that small text on the white background, especially the orange, I'd say bump it up a notch. Also, the pages seem awfully bare at 800x600 and I would suspect even worse so at higher resolutions, try'n fill them out more. Technically, it's perfect. Fast loading, easy to navigate, etc.HTH,Justin F

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /*Netscape 4.76; 800x600x16; cable internet;*/Loading time: OKGraphical errors: NONEProblems encountered: NONENotes:> The intro (splash) page is totally superfluous. It serves no purpose whatsoever. In my opinion, of course > The site looks quite plain. Lots of white, even though I'm at 800x600 now.> Some text is hard to read since grey is used for the letters. You might want to use a bit darker color.> The site looks really professional further.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh, its been a while since I've done this, let see what I can find here....

1. Start page.
    I always stay away from splash pages that dont have any functionality. You are just taking user's time. Plus, it took me a second to realise what I was supposed to do... I do like the colors on that page...
    if you decide to keep the page, at least make the logo clickable, my hands shake and I kept missing the "X"

moving on...

2. Posted by, Copyright info is too light, there needs to be more contrast, it hurts to read it

3. your profile page is not centered and is not the same size as the heading

4. I dont like the frame on the front page. I like the other pages much better.

5. assistants list is not aligned, and is bigger than the heading.

I could not read the print to save my life, its a lot of stress on the eyes. Not bad for design purposes, terrible on the reader. Maybe if you made the text either bigger or darker it could help...

The site is inconsistent, wisths of tables don't alway match the headings, texts is different colors on different pages.

If you make it consistent and readable, it will be great! Good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Lemme start with the splash page. I consider splash pages a useless thing. They take up my time for little to no purpose. It's also a bit confusing to have to click just the "X". I associate clicking an "X" with leaving something, like closing a window in Windows. My first thought was clicking it would send me away from your site, although I thought that unlikely.*I've heard that whitespace is good, but that's a bit much, even on my 800x600 display.*Put something on the main page that tells me who you are and what the site is about. At the point of writing this part, I've only gone one page further than the spash, and I've nairy a clue why I should stay if I weren't reviewing your site.*Your bottom frame for the newsletter sign-up (Or just what is it I'd be signing up for there? It doesn't say.) runs off the bottom of my browser window and I can't see below the input box without dragging. At least allow the browser to put a scrollbar in.*Your grey text is a strain to read. My eyes hurt.*Might I suggest you remove the portfolio section until there's something to put there besides "coming soon."Other than that, it's not bad. Layout's pretty good, getting around is easy to do.Specs are in my signature.
    Ed Rands

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with most of the suggestions although i'm a little unclear by what some people think are inconsistencies.
    assistants list is not aligned, and is bigger than the heading.
    i need to have the main page framed bec the middle frame which is the "news" has to be a seperate page bec it is automatically updated by a script.i plan on having a different artist/designer design the "splash" page hopefully once a month as a feature so that i need to keep by itself.i agree about too much white space. part of the reason is the the lack of content which i haven't been able to aquire bec of my busy schedule. so that's in the works.the portfolio and profile pages are not supposed to be centered. they are the way they are to allow for more posts on the right side of the page.the small text i wasn't sure about, but after this review i'll more than likely bump it up in size. the reason i had some of the text in such light a color is to not take the viewer's eye away from the main content (which isn't really there at this point).i will explain what the user is signing up for. i just assumed that it was obvious that it was for a site newsletter. but now i know. on the other hand i don't think that i want to be holding the users' hand while they are exploring the site. i'd like it to be navigational but sort of an experience/adventure at the same time. i want them to know where the links will take them but not give them too much info so that when they get there they are surprised.i did fix the color of the bottom links. and removed the link to the portfolio section.any more thoughts?
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the "X" on the splash page need to go, I normally click an "X" when I want to leave. THe next page need more content or somthing, there is too much negative space. Text might need to be jumped up too. great colors though!
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks for all the work you have done recently in WebSite Reviews.

The review I will perform will be long and somewhat detailed. This is not to suggest that the site is in need of massive overhaul. Quite the opposite. There are many items of elegance.

Some of the problems I mention may be the result of the equipment I use or some of the settings. Please note them in the sig.

The code seems very clean. But there are two questions.

First, the page providing the frame usage. It seems to be the only frame usage in the site. Most commonly, I find the frame either used throughout or not at all. I do like it for this application.

Second, there seems to be centering on some pages and not on others. I am speaking of my 1028 x 768 and how some pages hang to the left and others do not.

Nav Problem: Navigation is problematical on the latter pages. Multiple clicks and no action.

Fonts and distinctness from the bg. On many (most) pages the smaller font size loses the clarity and distinctness from the bg. The letters "bleed" and fade into the bg.

I believe that to be just about all I can find.

I did not check the accessability features. If they are not done, might want to include them. Of course, since they are hard to change during construction, they are often neglected at the end.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. i posted a reply about 2 hrs ago but come to find out now that it never went through or something. so i'll try again:

-----------------------------------------------
    i agree with most of the suggestions although i'm a little unclear by what some people think are inconsistencies.

assistants list is not aligned, and is bigger than the heading.
    i need to have the main page framed bec the middle frame which is the "news" has to be a seperate page bec it is automatically updated by a script.

i plan on having a different artist/designer design the "splash" page hopefully once a month as a feature so that i need to keep by itself.

i agree about too much white space. part of the reason is the lack of content which i haven't been able to aquire bec of my busy schedule. so that's in the works.

the portfolio and profile pages are not supposed to be centered. they are the way they are to allow for more posts on the right side of the page.

the small text i wasn't sure about, but after this review i'll more than likely bump it up in size. the reason i had some of the text in such light a color is to not take the viewer's attention away from the main content (which isn't really there at this point).

i will explain what the user is signing up for. i just assumed that it was obvious that it was for a site newsletter. but now i know. on the other hand i don't think that i want to be completely holding the users' hand while they are exploring the site. i'd like it to be navigational but sort of like an experience/adventure at the same time. i want them to know where the links will take them but not give them too much info so that when they get there they are surprised.

i did fix the color of the bottom links. and removed the link to the portfolio section.

any more thoughts?
    Last edited by atomicmunky; Feb 8, 2001 at 18:48.
    . . . chris

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this was a duplicate post. (long story)
    Last edited by atomicmunky; Feb 8, 2001 at 18:46.
    . . . chris

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duplicate post also. read the post above the one above this.
    Last edited by atomicmunky; Feb 8, 2001 at 18:47.
    . . . chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That game on the front where you have to click the "x" is fun at 1792x1344 resolution. jkI like the overall design of the site... sleek and contemporary... Loads instantly on cable modem. Why is the word "assistants" a different color, though?Also, I noticed there are no meta tags for search engines. You could at least put some on the gateway page...
    http://www.overclockedhardware.com