SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: png's

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.. they are a nifty little concept aren't they. does anyone know why they aren't being used everywhere yet?

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because of file size. Because they're vector images, they tend to contain more information than bitmapped formated like GIF and JPEG. They're wonderful for working with and transporting, but perhaps not so good for displaying on the web.

As the file format advances, they will be used all over I think.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <yeah> i've always wondered why not. i mean with those features you could ditch gif's, jpeg's, mpeg's and even flash!!

i heard that png was meant to replace mpeg's. why not?

the question is, has anyone use png'g for a site??
    DIEGO MOORE

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys got some wierd ideas about pngs going. they aren't vector.. they're bitmap images. if you have software that supports pngs good enough then they usually come out with better compression then their corresponding gif's. it is no where close to replacing mpegs since they are not even a movie file format. i have found that the biggest reason they aren't being used yet is due to lack of browser support. they have an RGBA index so they have an alpha channel for transparency. a very nice concept and could create some nice effects for webpages. think about what you could do with alpha transparency in your images?
    NEAT STUFF!
    They'll most likely end up replacing gifs. Where did you guys hear that they were vector images?

i have been doing some research on this format since i posted this message. it intrigued me alot. I have found the home site for it. go check it out and get your stories straight about it. it has alot of potential for web graphics.

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png

oh by the way.. pngs were designed by a group of guys as an open source file format created for the internet. it stands for portible network graphic.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you answered your own question.

Q: Why aren't they being used everywhere?

A: Lack of support.

I believe only browsers version 5 and up support PNG, right? If that's the case, then I can see why GIF is still the norm when it comes to compressed graphics. There is still a fair a mount of people who use versions 4 of NN and IE.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes PNGs have actually been around for years but browsers didn't pay attention to them for quite a while.

"There is still a fair a mount of people who use versions 4 of NN and IE."

Erm... I hate to point out the fact that a lot of other browsers do actually exist

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like i said

i did some research on it since i first posted

i'm still curious though as to where png's are vector images and are going to replace every graphic type out there, even mpegs, came from.

just a tad bit inaccurate