SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clear Buttons or "Hot Areas" help

I am kind of a flash n00b, so I think this is a fairly easy problem to solve. But I can't seem to make the action script event model play in any rational fashion.

In any case the problem is that I need to do a little diagram, showing an image. When the user mouses over certain areas, I want different things to appear in two dynamic text boxes depending on which area the user rolls over. I have tried capturing the rollOver event, but it does not seem to dynamically update. So I made a button, set alpha transparency to 0% but it does not seem to be active. Any hints?

WWB

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not 100% sure what it is your after ? any links or examples at all? If you wish to have 2 dynamic text boxes changed dependent on what is rollOver that is quite easy. is that what you are after ?

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the attached file !
    Hope this is what you were after
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You divined my intentions exactly.

I tried to download your file, but it appears to be corrupt. If you would not mind, could you email it to wwb@3dwargamer.net.

Thanks again.

WWB

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes sure ! Will do that now.

SENT

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example works awesome. But how do I translate that into my own thingie, as I need to do a dozen or so areas of various shapes. How would I go about creating the buttons?

WWB

Edit: Ok, think I see what you did. Unfortunately my flash will not let me fill a shape made with the pen tool using a paint bucket or ink doohickey. Argh.

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will ! draw a shape ZOOM in and make sure no gaps appear at any meeting points of lines and if they aint any then it will fill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A really easy way to do this is just to create all the shapes you want for the "hit" areas, and then make them buttons and then move the shape to the "hit" frame only. There should be nothing in the up, over, and down frames. You should then see all your hit areas in a semi-transparent, light blue color.

Then set the rollOver event for each button to do whatever it is you want to do.

Also, if the areas are all rectangular in shape (or all the same shape), you can just create one of these buttons and reuse it as many times as you want.

About the pen tool... it acts wierd for me sometimes too. Try clicking on or near the path itself with the bucket tool and it should work, as long as there are no gaps in the path. For some reason it doesn't always work if you just click in the middle of an area.

An easy way to check this is to select it with the sub-selection tool (A) and then zoom in all the way and check all the points. If you see two points that are really close to each other then there's probably a small gap. You should be able to drag one point on top of the other and it should close the gap.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the hints. Actually got it done yesterday--ended up using squares converted to button objects. Working perfectly, save the content which I am still waiting on. Ugh.

WWB

For Those About To Rock...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys know yer stuff.