SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Securing login system

On a new site I am working on I need to have a login system. At the moment I am checking people are logged in by storing cookies on their system. I then use these cookies to check who they are logged in as on other pages in the system.

Whats the best way to make sure its impossible to just edit the cookies so you are effectively logged in as someone else? Vbulletin seems to store the md5 of the users password. I guess this would be the best way?

I was storing the userid, but realised this is not a very secure way to identify the user!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cookies can be copied and moved to another system, it is always advisable you use php sessions also along with cookies ...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can edit cookies and stuff? I never knew that.. and how do people even do this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sessions require a sessionid in the URL though dont they? I still want SEs to index my site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tommychi, yes, cookies can be altered, even though IE doesn't provide a nice interface to it, it doesn't mean it can't be done . As a general rule, everything in computers can be faked, its just matter of knowing how to do it.

PHP sessions do not require session id in the url, they offer it as a possibility so that if your user doesn't support cookies, the session id is stored in the url. This is a rather risky thing to enable and I would advise you to turn it off. To turn of session ids being stored in the url use something like this:
    PHP Code:
    ini_set('session.use_only_cookies'1); 
    I don't know how vBulletin does it but I assume they use their own custom session "manager", not the php $_SESSION array, but rather save sessions in the database. Although I know you can "modify" the $_SESSION array to use the database I've seldom seen it done.
    Custom session "manager" is often preferred if you have big/important site, since it offers more control over sessions. Example of how it would be better to use custom sessions is if you logged in to some public computer and forgot to log out, you could just go to the database and delete the session (or make a nice php interface to do it ).

Anyway, yes, simply storing the user id in the a cookie is not very secure, sessions (php or your own) are "teh sh1t"
    - website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that comprehensive answer website.

I am using ini_set('session.use_only_cookies', 1); and am actually using sessions obviously, despite saying I didnt want to

Think I need to have a read about sessions and cookies.