SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS site - browser compatibility

http://members.cox.net/abluestarlimo/

Have designed this site for a friend. Am most interested in finding out whether it works in various browsers. I have only viewed the site in IE6/WindowsXP; but as the page does validate for CSS2, I am hopeful that it works in other browser/system configurations.

If it does fail, any tips for appropriate style declarations to fix the problem would be very much appreciated. No external style sheet, so all of the styles are all in the head.

Thanks for looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768, WinXP pro sp1, 64kb/s inet speed, Checked on Opera 7.23 and IE6.0

A simple and not very informative site. The design is pretty well, but there's a small amount of information, and a good design without information is useless in my opinion, May be you could add some links or somth, may be Pricelist or more about the company..

The loading was slow for me, at first I was amazed , about 500kb a page with an image in the center, but I've got it after watching the fotos. They are nice, by the way..

The displaying was good in both browsers.. just one thing noticed in Opera, the list from the left side has a smaller distance between lines, comparing to explorer.

An accurate wrote code, and all the rules of good writing are reepected.

A good impression over all, G'luck.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Win2K
    Your site's css doesn't work in NS7; however, it seem to work fine in Avant, Opera, and IE.

Put your JavaScript and CSS into external files.

Your meta description has more info than the rest of your site. Try putting that text somewhere in the body.
    Affordable Web Hosting & Design
    http://www.c-double.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too long to load. Those mouseover effects changing the photos and info have got to go, confusing to newer web users and just plain annoying. Make those pages instead and link to them.

This mouseover thing did not even work in Firefox, therefore I saw none of the info.

As it is this site does not work at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm viewing on Linux Rh9 - Galeaon Browser.

I have attached an image of what it looks like to me -
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pacres
    I'm viewing on Linux Rh9 - Galeaon Browser.

I have attached an image of what it looks like to me -
    looks the same to me on XP running firefox 0.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Black and Blue

Mac OS X 10.3.2 - IE 5.2.3

• Your page seems to be automatically resizing when loading, unfortunately, it creates scrollbars and cuts off your content - this seems unnecessary.

• The main photo of the white limo and wedding couple seems very blurry.

• None of your sidebar links ("Tour the vehicles") are working in IE 5.2.3 on Mac OS X.

• There seems to be some text problems: The phone number is repeated twice next to each other - the white version of the phone number crosses over into grey, the larger black version is cropped into black: both are difficult to read. The blue "Arrowhead Banquet" link is difficult to read against the black background.

It seems to me if you follow the suggestions already offered, especially fixing (removing?) the mouseover link problems, your site would come across much more effectively.
    -jca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things to think about:

what does he want the site to do? show off cars? It be better if the site told info about the company, the pricing, location, services, etc...
    Also it fails to work in mozilla...
    Kempt - Few things in life are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to all who viewed the site; and especially to Emankcin, c-double, DCS, pacres, hockeykid, jca, and AndrewDay for offering feedback. The site's owner imagines his web page as akin to a yellow pages ad - just enough info to get a potential customer to call him. Suggested including some pricing info, he passed on that. I plan to summarize and forward the suggestions posted here.

Here's the scoreboard:

Checked out allright on:
    Opera 7.23 / WinXP
    IE6.0 / WinXP
    Avant / Win 2000
    Opera / Win 2000
    IE / Win 2000
    CSS doesn't work in:
    NS7 / Win2K
    Galeaon Browser / Linux Rh9
    Firefox 0.8 / WinXP
    IE 5.2.3 / Mac OS X 10.3.2
    Firefox (sys?)
    Mozilla (sys?)
    I would be grateful for any recommendations of links/articles/tutorials that deal with CSS-design for the browsers in which the site failed. I'll probably search across some eventually, but would certainly appreciate any tips.

Thanks for your input.

<!-- Insert thoughts here --> pitcher17's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black backgrounds tend to be less professional.

White text on a black background is very hard to read for any length of time.

You need something to make it clear that the text down the side is a list of mouseovers / links.
    Or change the navigation to next / previous buttons along with a drop down list for quickly accessing any one of the vehicles.

Sorry, but I had a really poor first impression of the site.
    The more time I save by not planning and documenting,
    the more time I have left to debug.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the menu hover overs that change the main picture quite awkward to use. These would be much better as proper links to new pages with more info on them. Or, if you're absolutely dead set on keeping things as they are at least make the cursor type something other than the carot (I) - i'd suggest either hand or arrow. You can do this using CSS.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my opinion, it doesn't look for professional. Loads real fast, that's great though. I understand the simple design, but i think more information would also be useful? right now it's just a few pictures of the limos and a telephone number - if i was a customer, i would want to read more info,etc. before choosing your company for a limo

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape® Communicator 4.8 does not recognize the rollovers. But after viewing this site in a browser that does work, I think that you have bigger issues to deal with.

Your friend should consider a more professional design for the site if this is going to be used a business tool. Competition on the web is high and people won't think twice about a company that presents an unprofessional style.

People want to do business with people who look like they know what they’re doing. People come to a Web site to solve their problems and they want to solve these problems now. If you can’t meet the user’s needs, they’ll go elsewhere.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't really work for me in Firefox. It force-resizes my window which is annoying enough, doesn't display the main picture, and the links don't work (are they set up yet?)

DirectURLTraffic - highly targeted web traffic at bargain prices