SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: www.surrix.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.surrix.net

As I'm entering the final days before I release my site into the wild I would like to know the guests experience on the site. As I designed the whole thing with other people I know the ins and the outs so I need other peoples thoughts.

My idea is to create a community where computer users from any level can come read articles and seek help and give help at the same time. One of the big things I have noticed about computer help forums is either the new people get flamed or advertisements flood the page. I'm working to steer clear of both of those faults.

I would like to know what you would add or subtract? If you would join why or why not? And any other tips you have for this young site.

Site link: Surrix.net

Thanks for your input!
    Surrix.net: Tech help site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that the center area with the section boxes is floating a bit. Needs to be grounded somehow.

I do not like the blurred look you have in your footer and area below the header - kind of a gradient look. Needs to look sharper and more defined. You have sharp, cut edges around each area, so your graphics should be a bit sharper rather than blurred as they are.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really like the navigation bar you have in the center. it flows nicely. one minor detail i dont like is the font your using. Maybe try incorperating css into the text, making it smaller and cleaner
    http://www.garagepages.com - The Garage Sale Search Engine. Locate a garage sale nearest you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color - color - color -

I must say the monotone looks great, but I wounder what a small spash of color could do for the visual impact. It would kinda be like a Jones soda label, but I love their labels. Bright blue in a sea of black white and grey.

Killer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've done some great work.. nice job with the graphics. I do like muted, simple color schemes.. However, ... it could be a bit "cold" to some ... even a small bit of accent colors would go a long way., more "inviting". The header could stand to be smaller. Maybe it would be less of "obvious" if the secondary bar wasn't there. On a 1024 x 768 screen the header and bars take the upper half of the page.

Thats all just me, though. On my site.. I'm actually considering "hiding" my header graphics on other than first visits (per session) or pages other than home... make room for more content.

I'll agree with above.. little heavy on blurs.. I'd lessen that and go with the "standard light from upper left" shadows.. give your elements a floating 3-D look.
    David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A few points:

The text is not crisp on your graphics. It looks like the layout was resized by a couple percent by accident.

I also thik you have gone too far with the outer glow.
    Some of the stuff is starting to look rather FLUFFY.

Other then that it looks alright

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the design/layout of the site is extremely good ... maybe just have something telling what your site is about/for on the home page...

and also i would make the home link the first one coming from the left on the navigation bar.....

otherwhise its lookin tight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win XP Pro sp1, 56k modem, I.E6.0, Opera 7.23, 1152x864.

A nice idea and realisation. I like almost evrything on the site. The header is detailed and atractive, the navigation bar is stylish, the content is centralized and well arranged, the short description of the site on the home page is very usefull.

Things that I'd add: May be one or to more colors, or a background in order to spice it up. Some roll over effect to the links. Meta tags on keywords and Description.

The displaying was good on both browsers, the loading speed also was good.

Best Regards!
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add some coloring to it. The left side looks a little bare. Try adding some additional modules under the login box to make the site look a little more complete.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site, integrated well with the forums.

I'd agree that some parts look a bit blurred. Also, on your fotter you have links/forum - I thought I could click there. Why are they there?

Other than that, great coding, neat look and layout - header may be too big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Virakor,

I like the design and the color too. I definately like your idea of middle navigation bar and providing additional info in the tooltip. I must say that you are sustaining interest of the user by doing that.

It would have been great if there wa no horizontal scrolling.

Rest is great,
    Charu
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Virakor
    As I'm entering the final days before I release my site into the wild I would like to know the guests experience on the site. As I designed the whole thing with other people I know the ins and the outs so I need other peoples thoughts.

My idea is to create a community where computer users from any level can come read articles and seek help and give help at the same time. One of the big things I have noticed about computer help forums is either the new people get flamed or advertisements flood the page. I'm working to steer clear of both of those faults.

I would like to know what you would add or subtract? If you would join why or why not? And any other tips you have for this young site.

Thanks for your input!
    Hey Virakor...

Just my two cents...

I really like your design, the muted palette doesn't disagree with me either, but as some have pointed out, adding a little colour would really add another dimension to the design.

On the front page, some of your content areas could use a little more padding and spacing between the links... I found them a little hard to read.

Otherwise, I find it clean, attractive, and well thought out. Good job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to add some padding to your text areas - they butt up too much to the edge.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the site for the most part, the whole design looks like its directed toward a younger group (ppl < 25 years old). to fix this you might need to add some color and make the design a little less "extreme" and make the colors simple....not bright....something like the sitepoint design.

Good Luck, if you need free site promotion click below
    Promote Your Site For Free:
    Go Radic Banner Exchange

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the site. I like what you did with the design in general. The only two complaints I might have are:

1) the lack of color (i agree that just a splash of color would be nice)
    2) the menu links across the top are a bit hard to look at. I can still read them but for some reason I find them a bit weird.

All in all, the site seems great! I'm running it in Opera right now and it seems to run well too btw (mind you, vBulletin is pretty well coded)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virakor

Thanks for your input!

I like the overall design of your site, except for the fact that within the first 5 seconds of viewing your page, i couldn't figure out exactly what the site was about. You might want to break up some of your content so it is easier to read.

things that i liked about your site:
    1) header/design is very sharp looking
    2) nicely artistic

things to consider:
    1) more css instead of tables (css should be in a different file .css)
    2) more content that is easier to read (spread out more maybe??)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little slow to load. Horizontal scroll at 800x600. Need some padding for your content boxes. I agree with the above just a little splash of color would be stunning!