SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: advice?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me and a friend of mine are gearing up to make a party listing site for bc canada

we've established wut kind of look we want on the site.. something much like toolzone.com. not so much in layout wise, but graphics wise that is the look we want. so far we got a few ruff drafts scribbled down on paper for that.

i've been teaching myself php and mysql for the past month so that we can make the site database driven.

what i'm wondering is what software is the best to use for designging this kind of site.

i like the way the form and kaos dj site is set up and created. what kind of programs would you guess have been used to create that? not the graphics but the laying out of the graphics and table set up and css

speaking of css, what, in your opinions, is the best place to go to learn about using layers in webpage design. this has caught my attention recently and i want to learn more on it.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webdesign program: You can use notepad if you want. I personally use cuteHTML (www.globalscape.com) others will recommend homesite or 1st page or textpad. There is a whole bunch of them.

Then you'll have the wysiwyg editors like Frontpage and Dreamweaver.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nordan,

If you want to create professional web site design you probably won't use wysiwyg (What You See Is What You Get) editors like FrontPage. HTML they generate isn't optimized and usually is not compatible with different kind of web browsers.

The site you gave as an example looks very good and I believe that it was made by professionals, who hand-edited HTML.

You can just use simple notepad, but it's really more efficient to use software like HomeSite (www.allaire.com). Not for wysiwyg but for editing your HTML tags, because they look more clean and tidy.

If you're looking for CSS articles and tutorials just visit few webmaster resources sites and you'll find some good info over there.
    REBOOM.COM - visit new webmaster resources.
    News - Articles - Listings - Message Board

You'll love it!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nordan,

Take a look here.

http://www.guistuff.com/

That should help you.

brew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by reboom
    If you want to create professional web site design you probably won't use wysiwyg (What You See Is What You Get) editors like FrontPage. HTML they generate isn't optimized and usually is not compatible with different kind of web browsers.
    You're right when you say the HTML is generates isn't always the best, but many designers do use FrontPage and Dreamweaver, so it's wrong to completely count them out.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to politely point out that DreamWeaver 3 and 4 does very well with producing clean HTML code. Now if they can just optimise their dang MM_JScript code...

*crosses fingers hoping this thread doesn't turn into another WYSIWYG vs. HTML editors/Frontpage vs. DreamWeaver flame war*
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that guistuff.com site looks strangley familiar

hmmmmmm!

hehehe

yea i'm most likely going to be using dreamweaver and fireworks for the project
    probably do some of the graphics in photoshop to.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great site for a beginner though isn't it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it is a great site

but we want something that is completely our own. so creating those kind of interfaces and gui's are something me and my buddy are going to have to figure out.