SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new guy needs a quick review

Nothing special here, just a small site. I have no control over the logo, I had to design around it.

I just wanted some other designers' opinions to make sure I didn't design myself into a corner again (sometimes I design something and don't even see the parts that don't work visually until somebody else points it out)

http://pacman.v********/~calmland/

The sub content pages aren't in there yet, but will use this template.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MCPmedia; Apr 13, 2004 at 16:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad at all for having to work around that logo! A few little things. Shrink that copyright text down to 10px or so. Add some padding in the center text area - it get's a bit close to the edge and could use some white space.

Good job with the colors though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look nice with the logo. You did a good job of creating a design that flatters it.

There is a minor color difference from the header to the body on the right side of the logo.
    Some black in the graphics would be nice to further incorporate the logo.
    Shrink the copyright text. It's HUGE

I really like the fact that this site has a nice flowy feeling to it. Is flowy even a real word?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the layout of the site. Not many sites have the nav bar on the right, but it seems more obvious to put it there since most people are righty. I would change your colors around. Yelow, outlined with orange? Bit too bright.

Heres what i would do....
    i would have a simple table layout with a high quality image on the top as a banner. The image would change as each page is loaded. From there, you could have rollover nav bar or something. I just think it would be hot if you had different high definition photos at the top of the site.
    http://www.garagepages.com - The Garage Sale Search Engine. Locate a garage sale nearest you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it very much. It flows well and the colors have that Arizona feel to them. It breaks out of the normal box-y layout that most sites stick to, yet it does so in a refined, clean, and professional manner. Good work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great.
    the form seems a bit tight on the contact page
    In the end though, its what the client thinks of it that counts

SitePoint Enthusiast snowman2004's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site is great, but I have one small comment.....

As a user I just don't like the nav bar being on the right. I'd put it on the left and make it much smaller.

Just my opinion................

Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on a simple site with a "difficult" logo - it flows well, the navigation (I think) is good down the right (closer to the scrollbar which I think is good practise) and the colour scheme works OK.

Maybe you should remove the word "Menu" at the top of the screen - users should work out where the menu is without guidance.

Now I need to find a way of building around a crappy logo for a local lawn service....
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work. I have started putting all navigation on the right. Usability studies have shown that that is actually the proper location. If I am not mistaken guidlines for all web sites for the US Government require the navigation to be on the right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REMARKABLE.. I am very impressed with youworking around that logo! I liked it A LOT. The colors and everything work well together, a good solid design!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice design. Great job working around the logo. I agree with bigsi - I don't think you need the word "Menu". I have no problem with the menu on the right side. I noticed when mousing over your menu items, there is an ever so slight color change behind the words - may just be my monitor. If the color is different, I would make it darker so the affect is stronger. I would make the copyright text smaller.

Very Nice Job!

mdeluise
    MDeLuise
    ------------------------------------------------------
    How do you get off of a non-stop flight?
    Steven Wright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately haven't seen to many sites like this, which is why I like it. Good Work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everybody, I really appreciate the kind words and accurate constructive criticism.
    Last edited by MCPmedia; Apr 13, 2004 at 16:26.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPmedia
    Nothing special here, just a small site. I have no control over the logo, I had to design around it.

I just wanted some other designers' opinions to make sure I didn't design myself into a corner again (sometimes I design something and don't even see the parts that don't work visually until somebody else points it out)

http://pacman.v********/~calmland/

The sub content pages aren't in there yet, but will use this template.

Thanks!

I really like the site. Granted the color scheme isn't the greatest, but you did a great job of incorporating the color scheme into the rest of the page.........

1) I thought that the navigation menu was very easy to use, and stuck out from the rest of the page which is a GREAT thing!

2) I like the wavy effect that you have, which is a little bit of eye candy that you greatly needed

3) And your site is easy to read, and STRAIGHT to the point, which is probably its greatest feature...

the only problem that you might have is cross-browser problems, and problems with load times on a dial up or such. I didn't detect anything wrong as I viewed your site with IE 6.0 on a high-speed connection....

nice work

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job working around that logo.

I like the page or brochure feel of the site. It provides a nice way to draw user focus to the content.

A couple of small issues:

1) Not sure if the red is part of the logo. If not, I would probably tone it down a little. Either by darkening it down, desaturating a bit, or most likely a combination. It is a little jarring to the eye in such a large amount.

2) Would probably create large left and right margins for the textual content. It comes a little to close to the borders for my taste.

That's it - nice job.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try frames

If you click on some of the links on the right the whole page changes. It would be better to using frames so that only the stuff on the left changes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And suffer all the downsides of frames... I don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the way you've designed the site, and incorporated the logo in. I'm a big fan of the colours you've used and also the photo you've used. I also really really love the swirls and tentacles. Great work.

If I can search hard (and I am really searching hard) for sopmething bad to say. I would have to point out the right menu, the pieces of text are a bit too bold which give them that 'word arty' effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Great design, like the swirly border to the image, a definate change to the standard 'square' graphic!

Couldn't find a link back to the home page? Logo is the norm, maybe one in the menu too.

CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everyone else said, you did a very good job of creating a design around a god-awful logo and actually made it look nice. The fact that there are no right angles, but just curves, makes the site feel much more organic- which is fitting for a landscaper.

A couple of suggestions:

-As someone else pointed out, the copyright text can be much, much smaller. It is essentially fine print, after all.

-I think that if the photo in the top area should be different for the different parts of the site; i.e. a garden in front of a house for the residential section, but a tree planting at an office park for the commercial section.

-The word "menu" is redundant.

Good job!

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. May I offer some pre-advice on content? I think you'll find these tips will come in handy during your next phase of development.

Making your site a success: Your Web site has to let me know you can solve my problems - l need a new camera, I need a book, I need someone to design a logo, or I need someone who understands Ampex reel-to-reel tape decks. Since this is the Web, I want someone who can solve my problems now!

Knowing where people are coming from and where they are going: Deepmetrix is one of the best Site Stats providers around. Powerful Web Analytics reports provide detailed Visitor Intelligence statistics. Site analysis, advertising, site usage, search engines analysis, content usage, visitor information and custom reports.

You’ll not just know where your traffic is coming from, but you’ll be able to track their movement throughout your site. You can also tell what keywords are generating traffic and which websites they are coming from. There’s a lot of information this program can track for you, too much to detail here.

You’re going to need more that tracking software to be a success: You can checkout Search Engine Optimization for some tips to get you started.
    Good luck and let me know how it’s going!

One last piece of advice: One of the very few well-documented facts about Web use is that people tend to spend very little time reading most web pages. Instead, we scan (or skim) them, looking for words or phrases that catch our eye.

The exception, of course, is pages that contain documents like news stories, reports, or product descriptions. But even then, if the document is longer than a few paragraphs, we’re likely to print it out because it’s easier and faster to read on paper than on a screen.
    Why do we scan?

1) We’re usually in a hurry. Much of Our Web use is motivated by the desire to save time. As a result, Web users tend to act like sharks: They have to keep moving, or they’ll die. We just don’t have the time to read any more than necessary.

2) We know we don’t need to read everything. On most pages, we’re really only interested in a fraction of what’s on the page. We’re just looking for the bits that match our interests or the task at hand. And the rest of it is irrelevant. Scanning is how we find the relevant bits.

3) We’re good at it. We’ve been scanning newspapers, magazines, and books all our lives to find the parts we’re interested in, and we know that it works.

Well, I hope this helps and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it.

Heck, I've seen far far worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything looks good to me. Nice design and the colors works really well together. Good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say that I like it, I like it....
    What app do you use to make the logos and graphics with?