SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can I show an image map on rollover?

I want to have my rollover button use a multi-linked image, like an imagemap. Is this possible to do with a Javascript rollover?

How would you guys achive something like this? I've attached an example of the rollover image I am planning to do. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would DHTML work? My users are strictly IE users.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "multi linked image".

Do you mean that you want an image to rollover and have a load of different clickable links on it. If so then that's just the same as a drop down menu and theres plenty of them around for you to use.

The image you attached has "Link1 Link2" side by side. Are both of these to appear on rollover or are you swapping one for the next?

I think you may need to explain the question a bit more thoroughly.

If you are just swapping single images then you can use css and won't need javascript at all.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "multi linked image".

Do you mean that you want an image to rollover and have a load of different clickable links on it. If so then that's just the same as a drop down menu and theres plenty of them around for you to use.

The image you attached has "Link1 Link2" side by side. Are both of these to appear on rollover or are you swapping one for the next?

I think you may need to explain the question a bit more thoroughly.

If you are just swapping single images then you can use css and won't need javascript at all.

Paul
    sorry that wasn't very clear. Say I have a solid button, and when you roll over it, you see the above image. I want to be able to have one half link to one page, and the other half link to another page.

Sort of like revealing an image map on rollover. Hope that helps describe my question better.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS image maps

You can achieve an image-map effect using CSS, including rollovers; read all about it on ALA: CSS Sprites: Image Slicing's Kiss of Death.
    Be aware though that "revealing things on mouseover" has some serious usability drawbacks: it's called Mystery Meat Navigation...
    Regards,
    Ronald.