SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The maximum size of a webpage, as in the amount of KB the user has to download to be able to view your page in full glory (i.e. all graphics, text, html, (god forbid) embeded midis , etc etc)

I personally always try to work to 30kb but I have been following that rule from before the days of the 56k modem and broadband access

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work to around 40k and NEVER more than 60k. But all pages are different, and you ahve to take your users into considerations as well as your content!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to keep it under 50K. Remember that 10 second load time when users will leave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally anywhere under 40K is good, but it also depends what's on the page... and how you design it.

If you have a bounding table round your page to hold everything together you have to wait till the browser reaches the close table tag before the page can be rendered, and if you have a large html file the user is gonna be staring at a blank page for ages. Therefore if you can design your page without a bounding table you can put more stuff on it, and bits will fill in as they download (e.g. this forum, 1 table per reply).
    Drinky

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything less than 60K is ok by me. Of course, the lower the better, but considering that Microsoft's front page is about 47/50K (and ppl are willing to wait for it) I guess 50-60K is my absolute limit.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)