User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am planning on writing a script in php that needs to access an email account.

Now, this needs to work in qmail as well as other standard POP3 accounts. I am not 100% sure how qmail itself works but i believe it uses IMAP folders as opposed to POP3 accounts.

Now, there is a web based access system for qmail, at http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail and that works fine but it is in cgi, i also want the system to work for general POP3 accounts.

Does anyone have suggestions on either a good book on this type of thing, none of the PHP books i have really go into it that much or good online tutorials about accessing maldirs using POP3. I will need to read (into php file) and delete messages, that is it.

Help in this would really be apprecaited.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there again. Been doing more work on this:

It appears i have to options:

i) using PHP with IMAP. This would allow me to access any old POP3, IMAP, NNTP (ie news) etc server. Problem is that this is something that needs to be installted into PHP and as I want to distribute this code it is more of a problem.

ii) using the fopen() command.

Now ii) is fine but the problem is I can't find ANY information about how to do this regarding POP3 servers. All i have found is some POP3 classes some are really good but there is hardly ever enough of an example for me to have a clue what is going on. The scripts actually written using fopen to access pop3 accounts almost all appear to be in some other language (ie french/german comments and variable names).

So, anybody know any tutorials about using fopen with mail servers? i would really appreciate it before i try and get IMAP installed into PHP!