User Tag List

Thread: DNS problems

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNS problems

Hi everyone! I'm currently setting up a webserver and am having problems with it. I have a Linksys router with three servers attached to it. The first server is the external DNS that runs on linux and works great. The second server is a Win 2000 server that currently serves mail, www, and ftp for domain1.com. The third server is a new server that I've set up that runs linux, mail, www, and ftp for domain2.com. The linksys router currently points all port 80 requests to sever #2.

Ok here's my problem. The DNS works great internally, but I can't get it to work outside of my network. When I try to access domain2 (that's hosted on server#3) outside the network, the windows server (server #2) pulls it up. I've set up internal DNS on both Server #2 and #3 and like I said, it works great internally but not externally.

What I would like to happen is that the linksys router points all port 80 requests to Server #3 and server #3 points everything to the correct server, if it's on either server #2 or #3.

I've looked everywhere I could think of for the answers. I'm not even sure if it's a DNS problem at this point. Has anyone faced this situation before, and if so, how did you fix it? How do you route based on ip, domain, and port? How do the big hosts do it?

Thanks for the help in advance!
    HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big hosts would use multiple IP's.

First of all try forwarding 81 to server#2 and 80 to server#3 if that works your laughing. but essentially what your trying to do is have a second router in that you want the box to decide if it wants it or not but as both domains arer pointed to your single IP its down to your router to forward it regardless of domain (it all ends up as an IP anyway) to the box. Only thing I could suggest would be virtual hosts but even then I wouldnt have it across 2 boxes. No idea otherwise mate. sorry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a managed switch help? We really need it to work without having to buy new IPs.

Thanks!
    HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally dont think it can be done because a domain is resolved as an IP and path on the server.

Is there any particular reason your using two servers on one wan ip?

The reason it works internally is because both servers have different LAN ip's so in theory they are completely independent whereas in the WAN section they are one and the same under that IP unless you map port 80 to one and port 81 to the other and find a way to translate between them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I talked to my business partner today and we both agreed that it would be best if we just get another wan ip address. I think I was just getting frustrated that it worked internally and not externally. I did however, learn a great deal about DNS in the process!

Thanks for your input!
    HD

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your real problem is that you're using two os's on one IP. If both machines were running linux there are ways to handle it. Realistically you would just use one for both websites and maybe the other for both mail servers or what.
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... where one would need port 80 for http and the other would want things like 25, 110, etc for mail and other services