SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best way to promote a site online...is it with search engines, or something else. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO it's a combination of many things including search engines, banner ads, link exchanges, news letters, etc.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are sooooo many ways to promote your site it's not even funny. Not all will work and thats the frustrating part of promotion. Here is a very small mini list:

:: Link Exchange
    :: Banner Exchange
    :: Post in Forums
    :: Mailing Lists
    :: Search Engines / Directories
    :: FFA Sites

and of course setting the llibrary's computer's homepages to your site = )

peace
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've referred people many times to Matt's article on Promoting Your Website, which gives you a great overview of how to promote your site and has some good ideas for doing it.

Have a look at: http://www.promotionbase.com/article.php?aid=7&pid=0

It's well worth the read.

As Jaiem and dethfire said, there are loads of ways to promote a site. Which combination of methods works for you will depend on your target audience and your site. For example, if your site is focused on a small or medium sized geographic area, then offline promotion like flyers and posters are a good start. If it's a music site then you could try link exchanges with similar sites and submit your site to some music directories etc.

Experiment and see what works. Eventually you'll develop your own killer promotion strategy.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dethfire
    LOL! I used to do that way back in the day.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody suggest a definite book of reference on How to promote your web site. I mean a comprehensive book in the category of "Joseph Lowery, dreamweaver" bible. I checked "101 ways to promote your web site" but reviewers said it was full of dead links and incomplete. Any advice?, to back up/reinforce the above hints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by fashola
    Can somebody suggest a definite book of reference on How to promote your web site. I mean a comprehensive book in the category of "Joseph Lowery, dreamweaver" bible. I checked "101 ways to promote your web site" but reviewers said it was full of dead links and incomplete. Any advice?, to back up/reinforce the above hints.
    Sometimes the obvious answer is reading SitePoint's articles. Have you read all of the promotion ones at http://www.promotionbase.com ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stay away from the FFA's. They tend to generate more spam than leads. A good idea but didn't
    work the way people had hoped.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jaiem
    I'd stay away from the FFA's. They tend to generate more spam than leads. A good idea but didn't
    work the way people had hoped.
    Very true. I signed-up with some FFA service and entered a back-up Hotmail address. In return, I know get hundreds of spam messages daily. It's not worth it...

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky to receive a copy of a great website marketing book called "Web Marketing Applied". The author is Joe Tracy, who sometimes visits these forums. It is really a fantastic book and gives all kinds of information and ideas about both online and offline promotion. I highly recommend it!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dethfire

It also works good at Radio Shack

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for their attention and i will like to say that my first port of call was the materials available on this site which i read quickly and i plan to re-read it again and again.

I will not like to hide my ignorance and i therefore will ask Jaiem the meaning of FFA'S. I will check out the contents of "Web Marketing Applied" and welcome comments from those who have actually read this book. Finally i will not set my library homepage to my site?. Really funny?.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, before I got to the end of the thread I was planning on asking if NAYONE really thought F(ree) F(or) A(ll) link boards were really a good method of promoting your site. I completely agree with M. James and Jaiem. I know some search engines gauge popularity based on number of sites linking to you, but I still don't belive that FFAs should even be on the list.

I'm curious, what other often suggested site pormotion techniques do the memberes of this forum believe DON'T work?

I'll start by suggesting that recprcal links are often not a very good way. The only way it works well is if you link to a few high volume sites. More usually, you and the site's you're linking too simply go for numbers of recips, listing hundreds of sites on the links page. No one looks through hundreds (or even tens) of links deciding on a whim to try yours....

just my opinion.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I was lucky to receive a copy of a great website marketing book called "Web Marketing Applied". The author is Joe Tracy, who sometimes visits these forums. It is really a fantastic book and gives all kinds of information and ideas about both online and offline promotion. I highly recommend it!
    you can get that book here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...716646-0182248

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually i wanted one good book of reference on web site promotion backed with some of the major information that i will find online, including here.

For the moment i am reading "Building the e commmerce-empire" and my next item will be this title which i think will help in my web site promotion campaign.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    banners make a site look ugly. i've found numerous ways to advertise and get quality traffic without having to post banners.

.: nemexis.com
    .:nemexis.com - net resource center ~
    http://www.nemexis.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a newsletter with close to 5000 members. Any other list owner want to swap recruitment links [webpage where new users can sign up] so we both increase the size of our lists?

My list is targeted to college students and young adults.
    Oski
    Let's Swap Traffic! I put your url in my 5200 user email list, you put my popup on your site!
    http://freecollegestuff.cjb.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FFAs no longer work, they are all automated and not even one single person visit them.
    put aside a budget for promotion.
    1-Submit to yahoo, dmoz
    2- Use a banner exchange
    3- buy banner ads at low cost ( check the sign
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in banner exchanges as well click-exchange!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real truth is that banners are part of the major elements of a good promotional campaign as Nemx and Son Nquyen will agree.

In the first instance they add to the design/heart of the web page.It will not be bad to always think that as an advertising medium banner advertising is very useful where/provided there is a potential demand and they don't make a site look ugly. A golf ad banner on a golf web site relates to the target audience and reinforces the outlook of the web site.

Again, a web master in the process of making a host server decision that sees the banner of rackspace or search referral here will not ignore the advertising message. He will take it seriously as part of the elements to help him make a better decision.

Let us keep in mind what one great advertising man said;50% of my advertising expenditure is useless and the other 50% is very useful. But its difficult to separate the useful 50% from the useles 50% because they are mixed together.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my traffic comes from search engines because that's what I do - get search engine positioning. But some of the other things I do are as follows:

Use "Tell a Friend" e-mails. - If someone likes your site they will on average tell three people; although at least 3 times a day I get people telling 10 friends!

One of my best performing sites is a free e-cards site. I make sure that any service I use to send those cards has the capablility for me to include my URL as the pick up point for the card recipients. This ensures that they all see my site when they see the card. Basically it doubles traffic for me.

I send out many business e-mail every day and I make sure that my URL's are on those e-mails as well as any personal ones I send out.

I run my Yahoo pager everyday and have joined many clubs and forums on Yahoo. My handle shows up in the online users and when people browse my profile they see my URLS. I get 50 visitors a day to my web sites just from my profile on Yahoo. That adds up to 1500 a month!

I join different web sites that offer advice; like askme.com. I make sure my signature there leads to my web sites. This is especially effective because I can target based on a specific help topic. For example, I answer web design quesstions and I make sure my web design site's URL is in the signature file.

One thing I don't do is use banner exchanges, web rings, FFA sites or anything that allows my traffic to leave my site. The only time I refer it out is if I stand to make some money in the process. I only have affiliate links on my sites to take a visitor out. Otherwise every link in my site is internal to the site.

Cathy
    http://www.proven-marketing.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cathy, for one of the better posts. You've included a lot of good info.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jolly,

The challenge with the web and site promotion is that it's so fluid.

What do I mean?

Glad you asked.

4 years ago, you could get away with spaming people. Today,
    bad idea.

3 years ago, if you had great content and very few adds or links,
    you could be listed in the top 10 off the free search engines. Today,
    Good Luck!

2 years ago, FFA links, gave you great click thru's and link clicks
    which also helped you in the SE. Today, FAA s are a joke, and
    many mail accounts will drop you like a hot potatoe when they
    see the email responses from the auto bots.

1 year ago, if you had a decent ezine and opt in mailing list, you
    could generate a lot of hits to your sites and a lot of sales out of
    your ezine. Today, there are 16,000 Free ezines.

Even if you go out today and buy a book, it will probably be outdated
    in no time.

What's the answer?

Stay informed on forums like this! Get 2 or 3 good quality ezines
    with a lot of content and very little advertising. Above all, build
    relationships with every single customer you talk to by phone, email,
    etc..

That part of selling never changes! (thank God)

See you on the web
    http://www.webpro4u.com
    Paul Ellis
    editor/publisher
    "Web Dogs"
    http://www.webpro4u.com