Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felafel2
    from Huscy:
    "ctrl+tab = scroll tabs (just found out about this - feels SOO natural)"

This is standard Windows!
    FWIW, you can do this with multiple IE windows using Alt-Tab, though that *is* a Windows thing

Perhaps someone can give a better answer than I can: Why is tabbed browsing better than using th task bar buttons?

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure there is a better reason, but I prefer the tabbed browsing of FF/Opera over just multiple windows, cause of the reduced clutter. I haven't ever tested to see if less resources are used ( I doubt it).. but I like having those options.. especially in opera when pop ups just go into the background and I can close them all at once..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    Perhaps someone can give a better answer than I can: Why is tabbed browsing better than using th task bar buttons?
    Outside of my browser (which usually has 5-10 tabs open on average) I usually have 10-20 other app windows open as well. I don't need that extra clutter in my taskbar (and if I could find a tabbed IM client that handled all the protocols I use I'd be even happier).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a longtime Firefox convert, so besides testing websites, I really only use IE for three things. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's possible to do two of them in Firefox.

1) windowsupdate (already mentioned and entirely unavoidable)

2) File -> Work Offline : I'm on dialup and I pay by the minute for internet access. I often go online, visit news sites and blogs that I follow without bothering to read them - I just stay long enough to get the page into cache and then disconnect. Then I can read the pages offline at leisure without worrying about how much I'm spending. I can't figure out if Firefox will let me browse offline.

3) Temporary Internet Files - If I see a cool site that uses a new technique, view source will give me the HTML, but it's nice to have direct access to the files in the cache, all sorted by filename or url. Makes it really easy to grab a css or js file or even images and flash if I want to take a site apart and see how it works. I looked in the Firefox cache directory but the files all have temp names and it's impossible to tell where they came from. Any way around this?

l º 0 º l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Outside of my browser (which usually has 5-10 tabs open on average) I usually have 10-20 other app windows open as well. I don't need that extra clutter in my taskbar (and if I could find a tabbed IM client that handled all the protocols I use I'd be even happier).
    Wholeheartedly agree. When I was an IE'er I usually had anywhere from 1 to 5 browser windows open at once (with spikes up to 10 to 20). Add that to my other non-browser apps and it gets confusing. With Firefox I can rearrange those tabs which helps me stay even more organized. I can even change the colors of certain tabs that I'm using. It's all just a matter of staying organized for me.
    Zach Holman
    good-tutorialsblogtwitterlast.fm

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgordon
    2) File -> Work Offline : I'm on dialup and I pay by the minute for internet access. I often go online, visit news sites and blogs that I follow without bothering to read them - I just stay long enough to get the page into cache and then disconnect. Then I can read the pages offline at leisure without worrying about how much I'm spending. I can't figure out if Firefox will let me browse offline.

3) Temporary Internet Files - If I see a cool site that uses a new technique, view source will give me the HTML, but it's nice to have direct access to the files in the cache, all sorted by filename or url. Makes it really easy to grab a css or js file or even images and flash if I want to take a site apart and see how it works. I looked in the Firefox cache directory but the files all have temp names and it's impossible to tell where they came from. Any way around this?
    2) Try File -> Work Offline in Firefox as well. It should work fine.

3) Type about : config (without both spaces in between) in the address bar and hit enter. You can "List Cache Entries" and then browse what is in your cache.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redemption's #3: THAT'S how you do it! Stupid Mozilla has to make browsing the cache a pain in the butt, don't they? This was, and probably still is due to the unneeded amount of work involved, the most annoying thing about Mozilla FireFox (besides middle-click causing FireFox to crash, grrr).

If anyone's interested, I'm currently working on a series of tutorials to help people customize Opera, right now I'm working on the "Customizing Menus" section where it'll show you what to edit and where so that you can have the Opera menus set up as you like, or add your own menus/menu-items. I don't know if I'll finish it because it's just one of those "I'm bored" things, but if I do then I'll post it for everyone

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it's time for me to fill orders on my t.v. site, I need at least 4 windows open that I rapidly switch between. My osCommerce orders list, an administration area I programmed for myself for filling orders, a PayPal window to verify payments (sometimes IPN doesn't post back for some reason), and a window I open each URL in to make sure it complies with the terms of sale on my site.

Bookmark 4 windows in one bookmark list, then do "open in tabs" and all 4 open up in order and I'm ready to fill orders. So much quicker than opening 4 windows and typing 4 URLs when I do it several times a day.

Also, when I'm checking that sites don't contain popup windows and such (terms of sale), I need to clear cookies between sites, and both viewing and deleting cookies in Firefox is quick and easy.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Firebird 0.5 and up and continued with Firefox 0.8 when it was released. I do not do nightly distributions though.

However, I am now switching back to Internet Explorer. I will miss tabs and mouse gestures but ever since I installed Firefox, its javascript support has been abyssmal. I cannot do what I need to do on the Internet with its pathetic implementation of javascript and the simple refusal of it to work properly.

So for me, the whole Firefox experience has turned me off of wanting to use Mozilla browsers and I will go back to Microsoft. At least the browser works, I don't care if it is standards compliant or not.

So if you don't want to purchase things at major sites, do online banking, participate in Yahoo Groups, or even post in popular vBulletin sites, then go ahead and use it. If on the other hand you would rather participate in the Internet rather than watch it slide by, then use a real browser until they fix the bugs.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W.Luke, did you post anything about your woes in the Mozilla bug section?? and before anyone else says so, have you tried Opera??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted because I don't have the time to followup and others have mentioned it on sites dedicated to Mozilla. Why double up. I just think I am about done with Beta software, which is what Firefox is. I don't have the time, inclination or desire to troubleshoot problems like this anymore.

Tried Opera years ago, hated it, won't use it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are too many posts here to be able to read them all so forgive me if it's already been said.

the main reason to switch is that the newest version of ie is an extremely outdated browser. would you make a forum post asking for reasons why you should stop using netscape 4-6, macie 5 or msie5?

you basically need to ask yourself if you are willing to sacrafice the core functionality of the web browser (rendering html/xml, javascript, css and displaying images and embedded content) for certain features.

there's nothing wrong with using an outdated browser. some people still use ns4 and have legitimite reasons for doing so. being that ie6 isn't quite as old, there are many more legitimate reasons that someone would choose to keep using ie6. there's no one size fits all solution. it basically comes down to priorities.

my first priority is the correct rendering of web content so i choose to only open up ie5, 5.5 or 6 when i need to test a web page or run windows update.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke, that was "years ago". Things change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey megaman, I was going to a secured site using Opera (still) and it told me something to the effect that my browser could not show this information? WTH is that?
    Still trying the Opera on for size, not many complaints.. But I don't complain much..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Opera at home since the little debate on here and I have to say that when I am at work, I am constantly trying to mouse-guesture back...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    However, I am now switching back to Internet Explorer. I will miss tabs and mouse gestures but ever since I installed Firefox, its javascript support has been abyssmal. I cannot do what I need to do on the Internet with its pathetic implementation of javascript and the simple refusal of it to work properly.

So for me, the whole Firefox experience has turned me off of wanting to use Mozilla browsers and I will go back to Microsoft. At least the browser works, I don't care if it is standards compliant or not.
    Javascript version in Mozilla and Opera: 1.5
    Javascript version in IE6: 1.4

How is Firefox's Javascript support abysmal? The only things it's bad at is IE-only features. It has a more complete DOM implementation and supports more core Javascript than IE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    How is Firefox's Javascript support abysmal? The only things it's bad at is IE-only features. It has a more complete DOM implementation and supports more core Javascript than IE.
    You mean it actually runs Javascript? I can't get it to run even the simplest javascript such as popping up an alert box or opening a window. Let alone more complicated stuff like the WYSIWYG editor it is supposed to be able to interface with. Now when I first started using Firefox, I attributed it to lack of recognition of the User Agent but since then I have found other things that don't work in it but do work in Mozilla. So have to attribute it to the browser. Sad that things that worked previously don't work anymore.

And before you say anything: Yes, I do have javascript enabled in the options and under Advanced all the boxes are checked.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mean it actually runs Javascript? I can't get it to run even the simplest javascript such as popping up an alert box or opening a window. Let alone more complicated stuff like the WYSIWYG editor it is supposed to be able to interface with. Now when I first started using Firefox, I attributed it to lack of recognition of the User Agent but since then I have found other things that don't work in it but do work in Mozilla. So have to attribute it to the browser. Sad that things that worked previously don't work anymore.

And before you say anything: Yes, I do have javascript enabled in the options and under Advanced all the boxes are checked.
    That's really odd. The only time I've had that sort of thing happen to me in FF was when I disabled Javascript and forgot to turn it back on, or if I'm on a site where the developer doesn't know how to code for anything other than IE. I can definitely see how that could turn you off to the whole experience, but I can't really think of a reason why that would happen other than perhaps your FF install being corrupted. Sorry to hear .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean it actually runs Javascript? I can't get it to run even the simplest javascript such as popping up an alert box or opening a window. Let alone more complicated stuff like the WYSIWYG editor it is supposed to be able to interface with.
    luke, either your install was corrupted or you have manually changed settings. if you are sure that neither of these are the case then please post an example of your code and i will correct it for you.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browsing with FF is limiting sometimes, but not often. When I log in to my account at Searchfeed in FF I can't use the drop down menu navigation, I have to click around, but I don't know if it's because FF doesn't support something or they're serving a different page to the browser. Other than that really, I don't notice anything different in my normal browsing when I use FF or IE. I switch between them constantly.. both are in my quick launch tray. Opening windows has never been an issue for FF... I use it to test for popups. I haven't noticed major lacking JS problems really.

I'm posting this in FF... no difference between IE and FF for SPF

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of the reasons why I returned to Internet Explorer... while Firefox is the "better browsing experience," Internet Explorer lets me get things done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think i found a bug in Firefox. It seems its only intended for resolutions under 1024x768 because when I go higher and right click on things the right click menu cant go past the 1024px??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion
    In Opera if you want to open a new tab (or should I say, child-window) you can middle-click on the tab-bar and it'll open a blank child-window. In Mozilla, you have to rightclick->new tab. Considering how much I open new windows, this is a real pain.
    In Firefox, you can double-click on the tab-bar to open a new tab

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpixel
    luke, either your install was corrupted or you have manually changed settings. if you are sure that neither of these are the case then please post an example of your code and i will correct it for you.
    Well it isn't the settings... It isn't the installation as I deleted and reinstalled the software on a brandnew profile this morning.

I can't send you any code because it isn't mine. Heck even the javascript on these forums does not work but did in Firebird. Same with my bank, and dozens of other sites I visit daily. In vBulletin 3.0, the javascript and PHP were specifically changed to account for the new useragent in Firefox and yet the javascript still does not work, even with alternative useragents used like the ones for Mozilla 1.6 or Firebird 0.7.

Javascript works in Mozilla 1.6 so it isn't the Gecko engine but Mozilla is too bulky for my needs since I don't want web-editing, chatting or email, just a browser. Same with Opera, even if I could get around its annoying interface.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------