User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burkul
    As far as I know, you cannot install google toolbar to firefox. This is the major drawback for me. Any way to use google toolbar with firefox ?
    You can get the Google Bar extension.

It does lack the Google Toolbar's PageRank function, though (that's because PageRank is a proprietary Google technology).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone believe that there will be a homogeneous nature that will arize from browsers? Such as Word processing, where just about every WP program can do the same kinds of stuff. I mean besides standards compliance, is there much of a difference between what browsers CAN become in the future? and megaman, what were the differences where opera won by? I am 56k at home and notice little difference at work I am broadband and notice none (I never used a stopwatch or anything though). Just curious..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a google toolbar, but it does not include pagerank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moagw
    Does anyone believe that there will be a homogeneous nature that will arize from browsers? Such as Word processing, where just about every WP program can do the same kinds of stuff. I mean besides standards compliance, is there much of a difference between what browsers CAN become in the future? and megaman, what were the differences where opera won by? I am 56k at home and notice little difference at work I am broadband and notice none (I never used a stopwatch or anything though). Just curious..
    Once all browsers support the same level of standards (a pipe dream maybe, but let's assume this for the sake of argument), browsers will have to win out based on other things like ease of use or speed. Of course Browser X will always try to come up with one feature or another to win you over, but it will most likely not involve modifying/changing HTML, CSS, or JavaScript, or other such standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda thought so vgarcia, thanks. I mean once the basics are covered (standards), the rest is just speed and dependability. I may be alone, but I am utilitarian, if I am on the web to do xy task, I do xy task. If I am looking for xy movie, I get xy movie.. I was just curious, megaman put forth some good points for opera (which I am reluctantly using) and I find it pretty helpful. Still a bit foreign but its new to me, so why not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read you like Newsgator for Outlook. Firefox has an extension called RSS Reader Panel that pics up RSS feeds. I love it.

http://fls.moo.jp/moz/rssreader.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That extension is great dlucas... very nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I like best about Firefox is it enables reloading of an external js file that has been changed with perl, without reloading a page.
    give this a go......
    Code:
    function changeScript(newJScript) {
     oldScript=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]
     var newEl = document.createElement('script');
     newEl.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
     newEl.setAttribute('src', newJScript);
     oldScript.parentNode.replaceChild(newEl,oldScript);
     changeScript.el = newEl;
     return true;
     }
    Most browsers will upload the new js if it has a different name (not in cache) but Firefox will reload the same js file from the server. Useful for chat, counters, games etc. Another thing I have to wait for other browsers to include........
    LiveScript: Putting the "Live" Back into JavaScript
    if live output_as_javascript else output_as_html end if

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does opera do this??
    "The thing I like best about Firefox is it enables reloading of an external js file that has been changed with perl, without reloading a page.
    give this a go."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does opera do this??
    "The thing I like best about Firefox is it enables reloading of an external js file that has been changed with perl, without reloading a page.
    give this a go."
    Post a URL and I'll tell you...

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox thing i like:
    - Tab
    - block 'out of site' image ! (take off ads!)
    - extension (blog reader and RSS feed.. niec to keep in touch with Sitepoint, LiveJournal extension)
    - popup blocker
    - not using microsft
    ---

I only use IE when I need to go on page with activeX or so (not often!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you turn off images from out of site on Opera? I can't find it if you can..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using Opera 7.5 preview 3, right-click on the toolbar, and choose "Customize toolbars". Click on the "Buttons and fields" tab, and select the "Browser" category. There should be a "Show Images" button there which you can then drag to your toolbar.

If you're using 7.23, it should already be there on the toolbar nearest to your main browser pane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not what I was talking about redemption, show images seems to turn off ALL images. in FF you can right click an image, then choose to "block images from xyz.com".. But I guess that answers my question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think so. You can block servers systemwide using a custom hosts file (I've only tested it in Win98). Google.

Later,
    Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey opera MAKES money, why don't they have that one feature?? (which to me is pretty key).. I can't go anywhere online without being assaulted by banner ads from ads.xyz.ohmygosh.com or some such place, and in FF I just block them and it isn't an issue anymore.. Where's megaman, he's the one that convinced me to give opera another try.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moagw: The images-button has 3 modes (although, not the one you specifically asked for). Show All, Show Cached, Show None. By changing the setting to Show Cached it will 'sort of' behave like you want it to (block ads) but it will also block some of the internal images which have not been downloaded yet. I may make a suggestion for this on the Opera forums in a couple of minutes and I'll reply with the thread's URL.

Also, I know that a lot of the web developers here that use FireFox adore the web development functionality found in it. I thought that I would post this for those who are interested in an Opera alternative. It puts another toolbar on Opera (plus some other things which are unwanted, but you can easily change everything you want back to it's original state, it's worth the hassle) which gives you quick access to see the HTML, CSS, and reset the page (bookmarklet effects). You can change the display of the page (add CSS styles, change resolution, small screen rendering for cellphone-like display, etc), change behaviour of forms, images, view more detailed page info (it has a cool mouse-guided DOM inspector which hovers a tooltip next to the cursor when you're over an element giving you information about it, and about 10 other things in this menu), simple utilities, quick validation, and quick links to the specs. It also has a button where you can easily hide/show the toolbar. I've only been using it for about an hour, but it's proven to be very good so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...420#post503420

There's the thread where I'm suggesting it. If you want it, add your support.

EDIT: I thought that I would also mention that Mozilla also get paid for doing their work (not by direct selling most of the time, but they do, none-the-less) and they're missing a lot of options that Opera has. It's just one of those "nobody's perfect" issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey opera MAKES money, why don't they have that one feature?? (which to me is pretty key)
    Well.. it sort of rips off the sites you visit, doesn't it? I mean, they are supported by ads, and then you hide them, so they mke no money...

Later,
    Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    Don't think so. You can block servers systemwide using a custom hosts file (I've only tested it in Win98). Google.

Later,
    Douglas
    There are other ways to block most banner ads via a user stylesheet:
    Code:
    img[width="468"][height="60"] {
      display: none;
    }
    /*other common banner ad sizes here*/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya Doug, loud and clear.. and it makes sense, TRUELY.. But to wait for a banner ad to load on a page at home (remember, I'm pathetic on Dialup) Is a nailbiter.. Plus at work, when I am checking out this or that website there are some ads that are, well not bad.. but if my boss were to walk behind me while I read an article posted on a page with a banner ad for, Say sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.. I LOOK BAD. Still doing my job, but it leaves a bad impression.I am all for making money on the web, but I think there should be some way for people to just turn off the ads. I don't find myself aimlessly wondering the web very often, where I would even click on an ad.. But thats me. I realize I may be in the minority on that one

Megaman, I didn't mean to imply Mozilla developers didn't get paid... just that they don't really SELL their product, sorry for not being dead on for that one..

Vgarcia.. you ROCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you can use user-stylesheets to block a lot of the ads, I forgot to mention that. You can find a good ad-blocking CSS (much more complete and better-suitted for the job than vgarcia's example) file here. There are also plenty of other stylesheets that you can use on that page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite as good, to me, but still a fantastic solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox extensions i use constantly, among the others mentionned...

EditCSS
    Checky
    View page in IE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Adblock to block ads. Just choose what you want to block on any webpage.