SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Shopping Cart

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if your visitors have javascript turned on.
    http://www.thefixor.com/commerce.php

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shopping Cart

Hi all.

I have made a Product Catalogue written in html and css. Nothing dynamic. Now the users wish to have some kind of shopping cart, where they can add items, when happy, completes the 'order' and sends to an email address.

The problem is that no php, asp etc can be used (i dont think, yet anyway). Is it possible to us JS?

Many thanks
    Richard

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    though you can use JavaScript, it's not an ideal solution. There'd be a fair amount of code to be written, than it would be written in PHP or ASP.

Also, it wouldn't be secure, it can be manipulated easily.
    Your webhost should atleast support PHP if you are paying for your hosting. If it doesn't, then I advise that you change your host immediately. There are plenty of webhosts available that support PHP/ASP, one or both.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

minister of propaganda silver trophy Rynoguill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that seems a pretty hard request, they want a shopping cart but you can use any programming language. i would hate to think all the problems you would have out of a cart built completely out of js, and the number of people that might not be able to use it. tell your boss that even if it was possible, it wouldnt be very smart.
    rynoguill
    Ryan Guill, AKA Mark Roman

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the shopping cart will be intergrated into a Product Catalogue wrote in pure HTML that will be sent out on a CD to our depots to browse, and send orders to an email address.

So there is no hosting involved, just hard-coded off the CD. Also we will ensure that our depots (which aint too many) will have thier pc setup correctly.

I found a script called JShop at http://www.whorl.co.uk/ which works perfect, but time consuming in added products.

Any thoughts?
    many thanks-

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no problem, I heard in a forum here that there are servers that can run on CDs without any installation & they'll run your PHP files too.

Also, if you are using it on CD, then it'll be better if you use Flash. It'll be easier adding products to it & integrating shopping cart functionality.

Also, when you say that the depots will eMail the order to you, how are you planning to send the eMail? Do the depots eMail you from their accounts or are you using the old
    HTML Code:
    <form action="mailto:orders@example.com" method="post">
    <!-- your form details here -->
    </form>
    b'coz if you are using the above trick, then I advise you against it. Its not a safe way to send eMails & not reliable at all. You can't be sure that you will receive the eMail & if you do receive it, you can't be sure that it isn't spoofed with already.

Besides the depots need to have internet access to send eMail, so why not have a website of yours where you can use PHP or ASP etc. & have secure transactions?
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!