User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mySQL went down - why and what happens

Hello

The mySQL on dedicated server went down. Can anyone please tell me why this happens and how to prevent it in the future?

Also, what exactly happens when this goes down. Does it mean php sites with SQL databases can not be used.

thx for the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If the MySQL server goes down it typically means it has crashed and sites which rely on database backends using MySQL will not function (in all honesty, they will cry about it).

For example Forums and CMS (Postnuke/PHPNuke) etc will not work until the server is up.

To prevent it in future I would be inclined to check the logs for your particular server to see 'why' it went down... Are you using a cpanel type interface or do you access the system through SSH.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the help. I am using a cpanel interface. And I was worried that what you said would be the case. I have close to 40 PHP-SQL sites on that server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its strange for MySQL to crash like that ... It could be simply that its having a bad day and your host needs to install a newer version, memory problems where your sites are sucking too much juice and the daemon cant handle it, or indeed it could be a poorly configured script causing problems.

All in all, I'd be inclined to read the logs if such exist to assertain what it was doing before it crashed, or if your worried about it crashing ask your host(if you cant yourself) to setup a crontab for the daemon to launch it every 30 minutes or something so that in the event of it being down, it will restart itself or if it is already online it will just do nothing. Not an ideal solution but might help for now until you can assertain the real issue.