SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

By now you probably know that CodingCLick is launching soon by my signature.

However before we officially launch i need detaield review / critisms / comments about the site in terms of speed, layout, content (hard) and many other things.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could revierw my site for me and a warning, there isn't much content but some as i've been waiting for the design to be completed.

URL: http://www.codingclick.com/design.php (Make sure you don't click the main page link as it will bring you to index.php which you don't want to see)

Once again, thanx

Pete

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Here's what I'm reviewing your site with:

Internet Explorer 5.0
    Win 98 SE
    640x480 resolution
    56k connection
    Javascript on

I like the graphic you have behind the "Coding" part, with the red text. Those usually aren't colors that work together well, but you've managed to make them stand out and look nice. One thing about the navigation menu - you might want to consider making the text change on MouseOver, to another color, like white. It would be a nice added touch.

The "Click" portion of the site is rather plan, IMHO. There needs to be an extra something along the top portion of the site, even if its just an extension of the keyboard graphic, with "Click" and "the ultimate coding resource" inside. Some extra images within the site wouldn't hurt either.

Apart from that, there's really nothing much else to critique. Load time is great and everything looks organized. Good luck with it!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you return to a site that looks like mine does?

Thanx for the comments.....

Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete,

There is a problem and although this makes no appearance in the pc, we recently had a Mac that destroyed the image during the viewing. Has to do with the 100% value on the height attribute.

The height attribute is not recognized by the tr tag.

<tr height="100%">

The site looks good.

Best wishes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site I looks great to me but I can't seem to find anything wrong But it looks great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll fix the height thingo.

I had problems in netscape and i'm guessing that could be it

Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the site, does anyone see a 468 * 60 banner up the top right hand corner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5/Win 98 SE/1024x768/56K

Very nice site. If I was a coder I would probably boomark this page, the only thing that would keep me from doing so is probably the fact that there is not that much content yet. But, you're asking for a review of the design. It's really good. There are just a few things I would change: On the navigation bar I would seperate About Us, Advertising and Contact part from the Main, Articles, Coding and Forum part. The About Us, Advertising and Contact Us part seems more like the business part of your site while the other options would be more for the average visitor to the site. Perhsp it's just me, but I think that needs to be seperated in some way. Also, in the search bar that you have I would specify that this is a search of just your website. So many people have search boxes to search the entire web on their websites these days so it can become confusing. Also, I would perhaps work a little bit on the logo. The "Click" part seems to be somewhat far from the "Coding" part. And, yes, I can see the banner.

And, to finish up this review let tell that it's 2001 now! (Hint: Update coyright info!)Great site! Good luck!!
    Last edited by Macromedia; Feb 11, 2001 at 10:39.
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review, thanx.I'm going to update that copyright info you just pointed out. Thanx for that.And I'm going to put a pace on the navigation bar. However, I do't know what i'm going to do with the logo.Any suggestions?Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.5Win Me800x600about 500KbpsMain page looks very plain although I really like your navigation menu. All the pages load very quickly the colors seem to work. Continue to update the site with fresh content and you should do very well. Good luck, -JRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, why don't you try cutting the image better. What I mean is that ther is lots of white space in the image before any of the actual writing on it starts and if you'd cut that off it would be closer to the "Coding". I hope this makes sense...
    -Nick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.5/Win 2000/1024x768/56K The site is very well designed, but like in previous posts, there's too much white space on the top, left and right of the page. Coupled with little content (understandable since it just launched), this makes the site a little bland.Just noticed a spelling mistake "Sponsered Link" on the top page - should be "Sponsored Link". No biggie, but fixing this would make the site more professional.Good luck with it!
    DarkStation - No-nonsense Console Gaming Coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for all the comment guys, all the help was really aoppreciated.I'm working on the layout and have already made many changes as you suggested: eg, seperating out the links on the navigation image. However, I'm still trying to find way to make the page look more fuller. I'm considering making something for the top, like SitePointForums.com but not sure that i can do it, as with the logo being quite wide, the banner doesn't always fit into 800 * 600. I've also added select boxes within article to choose a pagge to goto easily. This was totally done with the help of freddydoesphp. He wrote that for me, and helped me fix errors.Heres another question, should the main table have a defualt size, and also, should I put an ending to the table to make it look like it ends?Also, Heres my banner problem. Basically, on resolution of 1024 * 768 it looks fine but on lower resolutions the banners is forced to the next line. Now I had to put spaces before the banner to make it look center aligned in low resolutions. I want a way that for higher resolutions it centers, and lower it centers on new line (or stay on the same if possible). However, using, <center> or <div align="center"> in the middel of a line make the banner move to the next line. Any help with this is appreciated.Also, On the main page, Where it says Coding and Articles, where the recent articles are listed. Should I make these into images?Thanx againPeter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,

I have had the same problem with my site. What I finally did was went for 800 x 600 (by far the most used screen size on the web.

Then I put menu on the left and ads on the right. The content is in the middle and the user can center it in a smaller screen size and scroll down without losing anything.

One thing I do though is center the content in the 1028.

I do think it is good to strike a medium between the IE and NN browsers.

The ve ry best thing to do is write for each browser and detect the browser when it accesses. Then use that information to feed the call for service.

Over about a three month period with an avg of 600 hits a day, most browsers were IE, about 10% were NN and 3 or 4 (not percent - numbers) were Opera. Nothing else.

My logo will fit nicely in the 640 width. It is the font "whimsy" - same for the little avitar.

Hope this helps a bit.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool.

Except I wanted to show 468 * 60 bbanner ads.
    Also, I found that:
    ____________________________________________________- Browser Percentage
    1. Microsoft Internet Explorer 94.14%
    2. Other Netscape Compatible 3.40%
    3. Netscape 2.47 _____________________________________________________-

And...

1. 1600x1200 4.30%
    2. 1280x1024 7.99%
    3. 1152x864 5.22%
    4. 1024x768 45.78%
    5. 800x600 22.89%
    6. 640x480 3.99%
    7. Other Non-Standard Resolutions 9.83% ____________________________________________________

It could be because my site is on coding and people that have used PCs for longer usually want to know how to make web sites well..Peter
    Last edited by petesmc; Feb 16, 2001 at 07:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete
    I understand. Thanks for your comments.

ed

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is good. The left-hand side navigational graphics are nice, but the image at the top saying "the ultimate coding resource" is a bit off-color and should be text instead. Also, spruce up the main content on your site a bit. Maybe color the table or change text colors a bit? If you are going to have a "coding resource", convince people that you can code an awesome web site.Good luck with it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i try not to read other peoples reviews for they might hinder my review. macintosh/iethe links on the left are nice. either change the two newsletter and the search to something else, or just put them all into one box. that repitition hurts my eyes.there is to much blank space between the ultimate coding resource and the banner. put a break between the banner and the top of the coding click table. you have a lot of space but not in the right places. maybe center the banner with the table, or align it to the right of the table so it lines up.i like the pull down menus on the aticles. they work better than a list of links to the different links. on the articles it would be good also if there was a next page link and the title of that page. on some of the pages there was quit a bit of blank space between the bottom of the article and the copyright notice.i love the about the newsletter. that is a very good idea, i like to know more about what i am signging up for.the only way you are going to get me to come back is the articles keep coming. some of the tables are messed up. maybe put the search and newsletters on the right side, to fill up that blank space.
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Thanx for the review. However could you clarify some things for me:1. Which Pages have 'messed' up tables.2. In articles there are links to the next page with the titles of the next page in them.I can't put the search on the right side because then it doesn't fit in lower resoltions.I'll consider joining the newsletter and search box.I can't really do anything at the moment with the banners because of the way the page is layed out. Although i'm seeking ways around it.Thanx for the review.Peter

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice clean site and I especially like the left-hand navigation elements; good color combo.A couple of small items: 1) in the blue table-header cell where it says "CodingClick" I would give that text some breathing room; it looks a bit awkward jammed against the left side of the cell as it is now.2) your "Coding Click" logo at the upper left (just above "The Ultimate Coding Resource"). I would either ditch the heavy drop shadow or tone it down considerably. It looks fine under "coding" but under click in the white area the shadow looks a little shabby.IE 5.528.81280x1024Win 2000

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice clean site and I especially like the left-hand navigation elements; good color combo.A couple of small items: 1) in the blue table-header cell where it says "CodingClick" I would give that text some breathing room; it looks a bit awkward jammed against the left side of the cell as it is now.2) your "Coding Click" logo at the upper left (just above "The Ultimate Coding Resource"). I would either ditch the heavy drop shadow or tone it down considerably. It looks fine under "coding" but under click in the white area the shadow looks a little shabby.IE 5.528.81280x1024Win 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks good. I have booked marked it to see if any more content appears in the near future. The only thing I would do is to spice up the top or the section where the banner is. And not use the same background pictures for the Newsletter and Search sections.
    Neal Bailey..........| Email|ICQ 54338088
    Biz Websites .......| Lone Star Classics - Classic Cobra Replicas
    Personal Sites .....| Advanced GraF/X | Xtreme-OZ
    Artwork & Photos | Advanced GraF/X - Artwork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried to look at your site in NS 4.7 but it shuts down Netscape completely, not friendly to Netscape users. Comes up fine in IE5. Resolution 800x600 and browser set to smallest font and I find the font size on your site quite large compared to other sites. Easy to read and with the exception of the flashing host banner easy on the eyes. About the only thing I found that I personally didn't like was your menu.At first I was looking for a menu before it dawned on me that it wasn't main forum articles but seperate links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange that it doesn't work in Netscape.Works absolutely fine for me and displays perfectly.I personally have the font set to medium and I find it is the same size as many other websites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    petesmc,
    Your menubar is pretty nice, I like it. I think you need better logo though, as the current one is too small and doesn't stick out at all.

As for content, what makes your site unique from the dozens and dozens of other web programming sites? From my stand point: nothing. absolutly nothing. I just don't understand why so many people who are new to the wonderful world of web programming have the urge to make a webmaster-related site. Think about this question lad: Why would someone visit your site, rather than to sitepoint,devshed,webmonkey, or ANY of the other WELL established webmaster-related sites, who have professional writers/coders working for them?

I like your color scheme for the forums. Not sure if I am having dejavu, but I feel I seen that color scheme somewhere else? No, I couldn't have. The crack cocaine I just sniffed must have diluted my memory.

Try not to be offended by my words. I am a blunt person.