SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did happen to the SITE POINT FORUM LOGO !?

The new logo on top of the site point forum isn't looking really sharp. The arrow part of the logo is great and is certainly fine saved as '.jpg'; however the 'site point community forum' part look really bad on my system.(There is a lot of 'deformations' around it and i can't even tell if the white letter are stroked with another color or if it is the deformations that make it look that way!).
    Did you try to slice the image and save the other part as '.gif'?

By the way, if you want a screen shot of the forum in order to see how it is looking when viewed on my system, just drop me an email!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make sure that Wayne knows as soona s he is back, but I'm afraid you will ahve to wiat till Monday. On a sidenote - it looks fine on my computer, but we all know how no website looks the same on two systems eh?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Nicky.
    That's ok, there is no hurry.
    I may have something wrong with my monitor/computer setting as apparently nobody has been remarquing this before.
    (on the other hand the little 'artifacts' around the texte made me think that it was a compression/format issue)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I look very closely it doesn't seem quite perfect, but its very hard to see and barely noticeable.
    I think it may be a compression issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is noticable on a 800x600 screen @ 17"

Maybe you could work with alternative images. I mean you compress one to death (like to 1 kb) and the real image would be loaded after the first one.

Just a suggestion.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any problems with the SP logo @1280x960x32 (17") nor @800x600x16 (15" monitor).
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said before, it is amazing how it cna look so different on different people's machines.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While resolutions will have a slight effect on how an image or text works, Monitor size has nothing to do with it.

However, On my Monitor at 1024 X 768, 800 X 600, 640 X 480 and even 544 X 392 resolutions, I see no dithering or artifacting. I agree the words could be a little clearer but had felt they were clear enough for a fast loading logo as I can clearly read them from across the room at 15 feet as can several members of my family.

If you see artifacting or dithering, it is most likely because of the color depth your monitor is set to. I can almost guarantee that those that see the image fine are at 24 or 32-bit depth enabling 16.7 million colors and the only color depths that don't have dithering or artifacting. The only way to eliminate these things at lower depths is to go to a 22 color super safe palette which consists of dark-greens and yellows. These 22 colors are the only ones that don't dither at 8-bit (256 colors) or 16-bit (65,536 colors) on all platforms, resolutions and monitors.

However if I can see screen shots of the graphic, I will work to have it corrected.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that's fine, there is no more problem with the logo!
    (I had to reinstall window a couple of days ago...and had to temporary load a free CD of AOL in order to connect to the internet and get the file i needed from my ISP). I'm now back to mornal (with my regular ISP and browser) and the logo just look fine. In brief, the problem was coming from AOL and the way it handle images!

Over the week-end i tried to save the logo and load it onto my image editor... and what a surprise! The format of the logo was '.art'! I couldn't open it on my image editor.
    Later i found out that '.art' is the proprietary format of AOL...i also found out that by default AOL is compressing every image loaded on it's browser. The compression default can be changed and the graphics can be viewed normally... however i'm wondering how many AOL user's are aware of this!?

As I now remember some trouble i had with a guy i did a web site for, this little experience is saying a lot. (He was always telling me that the picture were fuzzy and of really bad quality. I know he was using AOL and i also know that the image were just fine (not compressed and high DPI)). I just couldn't find any explaination and i was thinking that the guy was using this as a way to get a bargain on his web site! (which he did!) grrr...

What i would like to know is how you handle that on your web site? Is there a way to go over this default compression?
    I'm planing to have a little notice on one of my site in order to let know about this to my AOL visitors. As well, i want to provide them with the necessary instructions to change the default image compression. Do anybody know if AOL 6.0 is doing the same thing and how to change the compression setting. (Is this the same than in AOL5.0?)

I never noticed it before, but that's true that when i stick my nose to the monitor, i can see small artifacts around the logo. I thing that the original compression, plus the AOL compression just made the logo 'look bad'.

I'm really sorry about this 'fausse alerte', i kind of feel stupid now!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be basically the same in all versions of AOL:

Navigate your way to your PREFERENCES (In AOL6.0 that would mean clicking on the Settings tab and choosing Preferences) and choose Internet or WWW or Browser preferences.

The last tab to the right of this should have a checkbox option to enable or disable compression of graphics. Uncheck this and click OK, restart AOL just to be sure. Now, images should display as normal in AOL.