SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy The Big Picture Please!

Please could someone give me a general overview of what I need to do. I have a new server running debian. I have managed to install apache and it's working ok. What I need to do is this:

The server will only host 1 web site.
    The web site needs PHP, MySQL, GnuPG installed.
    I need to send and recieve mail on one domain.(POP3, SMTP)
    I need to install an SSL certificate.

My old server had ensim installed and everything was ready to go, this time I must do it myself.

Can someone give me some general pointers? Do I need a control panel such as ensim to acheive this? Its the mail bit I think I'm gonna struggle with.

Any general nudges in the right direction would be greatly appriciated.

In the mean time I'll plod on!

Many thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with Debian, but with Redhat all I did was do the install and almost everything was already setup. Doing the cert really isn't that hard. They will normally give you help when you purchase it.

Seems like I saw an RPM that had Apache, Php4, and mySQL, but I don't remember where.
    Affordable Web Hosting & Design
    http://www.c-double.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi c-double,

I think I've got everything installed now. PHP and MySQL were easy enough, just mail and FTP I'm not to sure about now. They're both installed its just a config thing now. It's all a bit different without the control panel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it is. FTP is fairly easy .... look into xinetd(inetd) for that probably /etc/xinetd.conf and any changes you make make sure you killall -HUP inetd(xinetd)

xinetd(inetd) name varies on each OS.

As far as mail goes, does your domains MX records point to you? (if you dont know the answer, list your domain and ill let you know)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chazzy, thanks for the reply.

At the moment the domain is still pointing to my old server. The idea is that I get the new one ready and then transfer the domain. I'm still stuck with the FTP but more importantly I need to get the mail up and running.

I've installed sendmail but without any domain pointing to the machine will it be possible to get it setup and test it is working? All I want to do is setup a mailbox like 'info@example.com' so it ready for when I transfer the domain. Any tips for me anyone?

I'm not really sure which questions to ask yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im no great mail expert unfortunately... Id suggest a free server from someone like no-ip.org to try to setup a domain with as they will give you an DNS Host (A) record and MX Record to play with.

Im not a great mail person sorry but im sure others are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've now got the FTP sorted and I sendmail is almost there. The only problem I have now is that when I try to send an email to the server I get the 550 error, relaying denied. I've set my mail client to use authentication when sending and as far as I know I've done configured the server correctly (sasl etc).

Does anyone know if I am getting this error because I have no domain pointing to my machine at the moment? I can send mail locally from the shell. Should sending email to user@IPADDRESS work or am I trying the impossible without getting my domain pointing to it?

Any help appriciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read other post mate.