User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey people.

As part of my new star-spangled network of sites I was thinking of registering a domain name to use in a webmail service. I've been accepted onto bigmailbox and was wondering, before i go through all the trouble of registering the domain, setting up the site etc, how effective is offering free e-mail to your visitors?

I'm working on building a thriving community, so thought it would be a good addition. Have any of you tried this, and if so, has it yielded good or bad results?

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you know I am trying to build a community and BOTH my main competitors are using free email.. I too have considered it, but am holding off for the time being..

so what email address are you going to let them have ? If you are just going to register another domain it probably won't attract them

Ie I have wannabebig.com and wannabebigforums.com

I am proably going to move the forums over to wannabebigforums.com soon as it has progressed quite well...

however I weas going to allow my advisors to have sitepointforums.com and then let visitors sign up for wannabebig.com

hmmm I just like having wannabebig.com for just me !! LOL

Basically I have been of no use to you and will continue to read this thread as I am in the same situation as you !! LOL
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of registering a domain specifically for the e-mail service, that people could log straight into. Their address would be @ that domain. I wanted popmail.com, which is a wonderful address, but typically it's owned already.

There's popliciousmail.com, but it's too unwieldy to be any good, so i'll have to keep thinking.

I'm working on building a network of sites, including free e-mail, community, internet radio and fansites. I've got the domains for all but the mail All the sites will be linked from poplicious.com which will be like the hub. Basically, it's the SitePoint of pop music

I instantly thought of musclemail for you, the .com is taken but the .co.uk is still available

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find out if offering free email opens you and your community to extra liability. What is someone uses your free email to threaten or harrass? Can you be held responsible for having provided the service? What if someone uses the service to spam? Will that get you in trouble with your host?

Some points to consider.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never worked for me, not with yahoo and hotmail being around. Unless your already big that is. Like if sitepoint started offering free email. I'm sure they'd be successful
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone.net and Bigmailbox.com are both good services. I personally have been using BigMailbox.com for a little over a year now. Bigmailbox is sufficent for my e-mail needs yet if I had it to do all over again then I would add my own e-mail script the site. With bigmailbox.com and simliar companies they support your users. If the site is down I want to personally know why and handle customer support questions by myself. Although that is a expensive call I could make more money then I am now. Right now I'm getting a 50/50 split with Bigmailbox.com and if I had the other 50 for myself, guess what? I would be making 50% more! :-) Believe me its hard but it really is worth it. I know i have 11,000 members at my service. Imagine if you had 11,000 e-mail users that check their e-mail on an average of 3 times a day. (Which is the average) Plus your site regular visitors and stuff... that could be a great promotion technique. Contact me if you need any help starting up this project.

Check out these other services listed on Emailaddresses.com for how you can start your own service.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do these email services like bigmailbox allow the webmaster to view stats such as how many people are using their email?
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they sure do... look more at their web site.... http://www.BigMailbox.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, update folks - I'm going for it. I've done some work on the layout etc and as soon as I think up a decent domain for it I'll have it up and running.

Soldermail: I might just be in touch very soon. 11,000 users is a VERY impressive figure!

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SoldierMail
    Yeah they sure do... look more at their web site.... http://www.BigMailbox.com
    Bigmailbox servers has been overloaded as of late. I emailed their support team, and I asked them why a lot of the emails has been returning errors and that was what they told me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend BigMailBox - they havn't been very prompt with me in the past - Everyone.net...no wonder it's #1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already switched to everyone.net

Mainly because the main interface has less ads! Still can't think of a decent domain though. Why did popmail.com have to be taken

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you said that you switch to everyone.net does that mean you were able to take your members with you? My own e-mail experience has been with Bigmailbox.com so I can't rate Everyone.net...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any members yet SolderMail, the service is still in development. It'll be up and running as soon as I register a domain

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fluffykins
    I don't have any members yet SolderMail, the service is still in development. It'll be up and running as soon as I register a domain

Ady
    Oh ok. What I got out of your previous post was that you had an exsisting service with Bigmailbox.com and took them from Bigmailbox.com to Everyone.net. If this is at all possible let me know. I'm just curious if the company will let you do that. I've heard that Bigmailbox.com will let you take your members to their counterpart, Everyone.net for like a dollar per user. I would like to help you implement your program if you have any questions. Talk to you soon... add me to your buddy list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Soldiermail,

I actually signed up for your email under the username "cares" to do a test run before I implement my own free email system. That's when I found out Bigmailbox's servers were overloaded and I wasn't able to receive emails. And when it did work, it took on average 4 hours for the mail to arrive. Sending the mail was no problem however. You might want to check on it if it has been resolved or not. But that was 3-4 weeks ago.

I choosed Everyone.net because of their superfast servers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Postman1
    Bigmailbox servers has been overloaded as of late. I emailed their support team, and I asked them why a lot of the emails has been returning errors and that was what they told me.
    You're right. I use BMB and have often had trouble with their e-mail forwarding. I use their service to forward my @sports-central.org address to my local ISP address on Outlook and it often arrives late (and sometimes never at all, I'm afraid). I am signed up with Everyone.net incase BMB folds or something, you never know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a heavy pockey, consider Outblaze.com.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Troy!

I own iMovieFan.com, which provides free web based email through Everyone.net. I know your help was directed to Ady, but I would love to here your thought's on how to make this effort more successful, if you don't mind .

I believe my email is in my profile..
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless you have a really nice unique or catchy domain name i wouldn't bother setting up a free email host. cause, right now their is more than enough free email services out there.

.:nemexis.com
    .:nemexis.com - net resource center ~
    http://www.nemexis.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    small and easy to remember domains do the trick ...
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DriveSeeker
    If you have a heavy pockey, consider Outblaze.com.
    Outblaze is no longer free. They will charge you $1000, but according to them, they will refund that amount once they receive that money from advertising. In other words it is still free, but you have to go thru loop holes.
    Business Development
    http://www.citibay.com - Search and you shall find

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email WORKS WONDERS for my website. Right now, I use Bigmailbox for email at my domain, CompuTwin.com , and Everyone.net at MainArea.com . My sites users tend to prefer BigMailBox's interface, but I like Everyone.net. The difference that I feel is banner revenue. On Bigmailbox, you only get 20% of banners, and it is hard to insert outside advertising party code on it (I.e. an advertisement tracker). Everyone.net gives you 50% and the ability for rich HTML ads.

~Josh
    BTW... You'll see me here for a while gathering and giving tips until I launch the new MainArea.com Network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, offering e-mail on your site only works if you have a good domain. Trying to offer free e-mail @fgfsghkm3t235-fhtekhmer.com isn't going to be effective.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres some ideas and they are available

popartist.net
    popcycle.net
    pophit.org
    popmailserver.com
    popisp.com

theres more if you need any more email me if you like.
    Hope it helps!

zero b

opening soon!
    emailserviceproviders.com