SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately PEAR still has some social issues to work through. For instance I think competing packages should be allowed. If competing packages are not allowed then the "first mover" can never be unseated by other, possibly better packages. ADODB, Simple Test and phphtmllib are all, arguably, better than their PEAR counterparts but the authors of these packages would probably have a hard time getting their work included in PEAR because the maintainers of competing packages would block them. Bad, bad, bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all i get is an error?

Hi all,

i have followed the article to the letter... and everything works bar the RSS Script

i get an error

Code:
    Request failed: 302
    any idea as to what is causing this?

...Chunks

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Request failed: 302
    That's actually a good sign, in a way, because PEAR::HTTP_Request successfully spotted a problem - seems Sitepoint have just change the location of their RSS feed to http://www.sitepoint.com/recent.rdf. The old location: http://www.sitepoint.com/rss.php still exists but the "302" is the HTTP status code for "Found but the data requested actually resides under a different URL".

To fix, modify the URL to http://www.sitepoint.com/recent.rdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to get Pear working

First, I enjoyed the article on Pear, as I am also enjoying your Anthologies. I like your writing style a lot. I am trying to use the methods you describe (especially QuickForm) but am having enormous problems with Pear. BTW I'm using win 98se, apache 1.3 or around that version, php4.3.6, calling php from c:\php\cli.

First, when the article describes setting the environment variables, it says to go Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables. That route does not exist from Win98SE. I assume that what you are saying needs to be done is to edit autoexec.bat?? I did edit autoexec.bat to read:

SET PATH=C:\PHP\cli;c:\pear\bin;c:\pear\lib

I'm not sure if that is what was intended or not?

For the past several days I've been trying to get PEAR working right. Read and re-read the instructions and been to the Pear news groups, too. I just can't get it working right. I went through the process of editing the php.ini, pear.ini, and pear.bat files to reflect the same settings. Using the described installation methods it puts the pear.ini file into a \pear4 directory that pear apparently creates. So far as I can tell, all the setup settings for pear are exactly as you described. There is still a pear directory under c:\php (like c:\php\pear) that was put there (I guess) when I initially installed php.

I changed the php.ini and the other relevant ini's (and .bat's) as well to reflect the correct paths.

I did get it to use go-pear.php correctly and went through the installation sequence as you describe it (setting up the new installation in c:\pear and using the recommended \bin, \lib, \data, \docs settings just as you describe in the article).

At this point, from my ms-dos window, when I enter afte the cursor: pear list, I get the following message:

PHP_PEAR_INSTALL_DIR is not set correctly. Please fix it using your environment variable or modify the default value in pear.bat. The current value is -- it is blank at this place in the message, resuming on the next line --
    Echo is off

I cannot get it to go past this point. I cannot get it to install packages (gives the same error).

I have tried to research this fairly carefully but am out of ideas. A link that seemed to reflect some similarity to my issue is here
    I'm really at my wits end at this point. I think that another article on PEar would be really helpful: Does the php.ini file automatically include PEAR? IS PEAR in any sense executable, or does php just include draw it into the processing in some way. I guess if I knew a lttle of the theory behind how it works it would make more sense. Probably, I'm just doing something really simple and stupid, such as failing to properly edit a path. But all the relevant paths look correct to me.

Any ideas?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I enjoyed the article on Pear, as I am also enjoying your Anthologies. I like your writing style a lot. I am trying to use the methods you describe (especially QuickForm)
    Many thanks.

but am having enormous problems with Pear. BTW I'm using win 98se, apache 1.3 or around that version, php4.3.6, calling php from c:\php\cli.
    I've attempted installing PEAR once in Win98, got tired and downloaded and installed the packages I needed manually.

Perhaps it's worth carrying this to another thead specifically to work out how to install PEAR on Win 98 - may be a joint effort will help.

SePP
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I've a problem , the installation went perfectly but when I try to install a package he says the following error :

Warning: The argument needs to be an array in pearcmd.php on line 53
    Console_Getopt: Could not read cmd args (register_argc_argv=Off?)
    Usage: pear [options] command [command-options] <parameters>
    Type "pear help options" to list all options.
    Type "pear help <command>" to get the help for the specified command.
    Commands:
    build Build an Extension From C Source
    bundle Unpacks a Pecl Package
    clear-cache Clear XML-RPC Cache
    followed by all commands.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use pear religously, and yes, greetz to HF for being the PHP guru or this decade so far. Pear distribution is my major concern. If I make an app for a client, is there any way to make a "installer" to piggy back on their PEAR? This would be increbily helpful, anyone built this yet?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pear Installation Weirdness

I'm a one man band working for an ad agency...good times. At any rate, a client has requested that form values submitted through their website be written to an excel document.

I investigated and decided PEAR was probably my best bet. So, I began what has become a quest to successfully install PEAR to our staging server.

It's a Win2K Server running IIS and PHP 4.3.6. Whoever initially installed PHP 4 did not install PEAR along with it for some reason. So I decided to run the command line installer, with the following directories set up:

Installation prefix - C:\PHP\pear
    Binaries Directory - $prefix\bin
    PHP code directory - $ prefix\docs
    Documentation base directory - $prefix\docs
    Data Base Directory - $prefix\data
    Tests Directory - $prefix\tests
    php.exe Path - C:\PHP\php.exe

I then run the installer, and it does fine for a while. Then, after 'Extracting Installer....' appears I get this:

Warning: main(PEAR.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\PHP\pear\Archive\Tar.php on line 21

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='/C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1.ORB\LOCALS~1\Temp\3\gop1c.tmp') in C:\PHP\pear\Archive\Tar.php on line 21

So it seems pretty clear that it's an include path problem to me. In my PHP.ini, go-pear added

include_path=".;C:\php\pear"

So maybe I need to change that to someplace else? But I'm also not so sure about that forward slash in front of 'C:\DOCUME!`.....'

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm on a solo mission over here - no IT guys, no programming dept. Just ME. heh.

JanHolland
    A list of (shared) Hosts who permit/carry PEAR would be very welcome.
    So far I could not find _one_.
    TIA

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had pathing troubles when trying to get it installed as well. Appears to install, I download new packages etc. but when I run that test script it can't find the pear class and other miscelaneous issues. Thanks for the article, unfortunately its just not working for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still the documentation part is not quite well. Maybe I have to help with these.

I found the urge to discuss with people about PEAR on forums. None were found (only in german language).

I like mailinglists but I know a bunch of people that prefer forums over mailinglist.

I decided that I want to contribute and setup a forum for PEAR:
    <a href="http://www.pear-forum.org">http://www.pear-forum.org</a>

Still a bit quite but it is a matter of time ;)
    - Charlie

john
    For some reason, installing the pear manager completely broke my system. Weird thinks like mysqy unable to start up occurred.

Cambo
    Kicker!
    It all works for me.
    The RSS example worked "out of the box"
    I am now modifying the output so it formats nicely instead of just "print_r"ing.
    Man you have opened a can of worms though. Now I have to recode everything using PEAR but it will be worth it, I am sure.
    Thanks
    Cambo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't even get this to start. I used to CLI and entered php.exe but nothing happened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to install PEAR on my local machine but I am not having much luck.

I am running PHP5 and have noticed that ther is a PEAR folder already in the PHP folder and in the PEAR folder thsere is go.pear.php and another folder called go-pear-bundle.

Is it already installed or do I have to install it?

I got as far as this with no problems

Whatever your OS, from the command prompt, type:

php -v

In response, you should see some version information displayed about PHP, such as:

PHP 4.3.4 (cli) (built: Nov 26 2003 10:46:59)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies
    That worked for me but when i tried entering in the command prompt php go-pear.php I get an error message saying "php is not recognised as an internal or external command....."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem installing PEAR - Class PEAR not found in C:\........

hi everyone,

i've been reading the article and have done everything exactly as written, but I was running into an error message:

"No handlers for package.xml version 2.0".

I searched for solutions and it was suggested upgrading PEAR. I did so, and I now get the error message:

"PHP Fatal error: Class 'PEAR' not found in C:\Program Files\ApacheGroup\Apache2\htdocs\go-pear.php on line 669"

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm running PHP 5.0.5 on windows xp.

Thanks

Richard.

ramarao
    the tutorial was a great help.Thanks!

Randie
    Nice article!

Can you talk about PECL- the difference between PEAR and PECL, and when you would use one over the other?

Thanks!

Randie

Zach
    Thank you! I'm a new developer & this was the first time I've even delved into the Windows command line. I followed your lead, and everything went flawlessly.

Many thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I must had miss something.

In the third page when it comes to the "The Package Manager" its given the comand "$ pear" to put in the comand line. Witch comand line? The windows one? Because it doesnt work in the windows comand line.

Can you help on this?